• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Recommendation for a rear shooting bag

jlow

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2010
I have unfortunately gone around the block on this with poor results and so I am asking the hide for advice here.

The gun is a LaRue Stealth 20” with a Harris HBRMS bipod front and a VLTOR mod-stock. I currently have a Red Tac Gear ½ Pint rear bag for this gun. It works on a bench with the gun on a sand bag in the front, but when I run it outside on the grass with the Harris, the bag is much too small to support the gun, any suggestions for a proper size bag for this application.

Re: Recommendation for a rear shooting bag

This thread is going to work like this.

Get a tab!
Get a wedgie!
Get a red tac!

So on and so forth. Your probably going to have to spend the time and money on rear bags to find the one that fits you best. I just sold a tab a wedgie here on the hide because neither one offered a stable enough platform for myself. Right now I'm running two homemade ones that offer what I've been looking for.
It's kind of like stocks, one size doesn't fit all.

No offense, but I am not sure I understand what you are saying since I have not been in the market for this before. What stock are you using and are you saying that you tried three different types? Would really rather not repeat your experience.

I realized that some degree of “fitting” is required, but was just wondering about other’s experience with this type of setup. I have already brought one that does not work and so would really like to avoid buying another one and not having it fit.

The problem is I realize that most people shoot with either a regular stock or something like a PRS and there is a chance that none of them (i.e. even the bigger ones) would fit a small stock like a VLTOR mod-stock. There is also the question of how well the wedge version works.

Here is what he's trying to say.

There are a bunch of different bags out there made by different people in different sizes. Just because you provide us with the type of rifle you are using does not mean there is a magic formula to plug in to tell you what bag to use.

You are going to have to purchase various bags to see which one fits YOU and your rifle the best. The feel of a rear bag can be different for two people shooting the exact same rifle.

If you want to make it perfect, go get some good quality hunting socks and go get some bead filling at a hobby store and make it yourself.

Thanks! I agree that it is impossible to get one that would tailor to everyone’s needs in terms of feel, that really applies for most gun stuff since there is a lot of personal choice involved.

However, I am just trying to get to first base which is one that is at least big enough. Right now, the one I got won’t even touch the stock when I have the bipods lowered to the shortest level.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jlow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... but when I run it outside on the grass with the Harris, the bag is much too small to support the gun...</div></div>

What do you mean 'too small'? Too short? How tall is the Harris? Are you shooting downhill?

Problem might be in the front, not the rear.

If youre talking 'lateral' size/support, you might need to move back to the bench. Shooting with a rear bag from the ground isnt perfect. The rear bag doesnt 'lock' the rifle in place like some larger bench supports. There is some technique involved.

Might be a training issue, not a bag issue...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperCJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jlow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... but when I run it outside on the grass with the Harris, the bag is much too small to support the gun...</div></div>

What do you mean 'too small'? Too short? How tall is the Harris? Are you shooting downhill?

Problem might be in the front, not the rear.

If youre talking 'lateral' size/support, you might need to move back to the bench. Shooting with a rear bag from the ground isnt perfect. The rear bag doesnt 'lock' the rifle in place like some larger bench supports. There is some technique involved.

Might be a training issue, not a bag issue... </div></div>

All good questions.

I am using a Harris HBRMS bipod with the notched 6” to 9” legs. In some ways you are right about “Problem might be in the front, not the rear”. It is actually not the bipod but what it turns out is that I was trying to shoot 600 yards from a level area of the berm that makes up the shooting line. In that situation, even with the bipod set to the lowest level, when the target is in sight, the rear of the stock was much higher than the Red Tac Gear ½ Pint rear bag was able to support it.

However, what I thought of in the mean time is that if I moved the rifle forward so that the bipod is now on the front and slightly downward slopping part of the berm, it drastically lowers the front of the rifle and as a result the rear bag in question worked just fine.

Feel a bit stupid but since I don’t have a local instructor, I learn on the job as they say. So yes, it was a training issue.

I found the oldest pair of green issue socks, took one, filled with slightly smaller then pea gravel, tied a knot in it, and rolled the excess back over it. Lay it on its side or set it up straight, works great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chrispy11C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I found the oldest pair of green issue socks, took one, filled with slightly smaller then pea gravel, tied a knot in it, and rolled the excess back over it. Lay it on its side or set it up straight, works great. </div></div>

It's a good setup, the only change I would recommend is to replace the pea gravel with Poly bead fill they use in the commercial bags, much much lighter if you have to carry it around in your kit.

red tac gear, normal size

everything that requires significantly more height ought be properly adjusted by something suitably stable. i (personally) do not think that bean-bags are meant to provide 50cm of elevation. get roughly the right height. do the fine tuning with the bag.

I too was trying to stay away from the larger bags due to the weight and bulk but I think if I was force to shoot on level ground, that trick I mentioned earlier would not work. Not sure what I would use in terms of “something suitable stable”. I guess if there was a rock or something handy close by, it would work, but you don’t always have that option. I am presently only shooting the 600 yards on the range and from that perspective it is not a problem.

Yea, the Red Tac Gear ½ Pint has a loop on it which makes it easy to attach to my bag.