• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Recommendations for a begennier neck turn tool

R.W.Dale

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2011
Aarkansas
Not for a beginner reloader but rather for someone just getting into advanced case prep.

Looking to spend less than $70 total to get setup to turn necks in small quantities on my Lapua .308 cases

Here's a few that's on my short list.

Hornady
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=161996

RCBS
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=516187

Forester
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=219509

Please chime in if you've used any of these units. I should also add that I'm not too concerned how well the provided case holder works, I'll use lee trimmer collets for that

Re: Recommendations for a begennier neck turn tool

Everyone has their idea as to what is good, bad, right or wrong but I wouldn't use ANY neck turning tool that didn't have a matching case expander mandrel die. This setup cost a little more, about $20, but your brass will have the proper fit on your neck turning tool when you go this route. Personally, I wouldn't bother turning the necks unless you have a setup like this.

I tried just about all of those you list. The best way to do it is to order one of the Sinclair neck turning tools, expander die, proper mandrels, etc and be done with it. After all, if you are turning necks you are striving for the best. You may as well do it with the best equipment.

K&M for me! Ken Markal is a exceptional person! He has shipped me stuff with a invoice! Who ships stuff these days first without having been paid first.

Plus, his stuff is very good quality.

I also agree that you should use the same mandrel by the same mfg for neck turning. Otherwise you may be in for a suprise.

Terry

If I may offer a suggestion. If you get the kind that mounts the case and you have to turn a handle on the end, Forster, Hornady, Wilson ... etc. mount it to a small piece of 2 X 4 and clamp it in a bench vise. You want your knuckles to have plenty of room and still keep the device steady.

If you use the smaller handheld units, Sinclair, K&M, Pumpkin ... etc. use a 1/2" 18 volt cordless drill with a keyless chuck to hold and turn the cases in back gear (slow speed). Don't use ANY adapter. That's just money thrown away unless you're going to turn a belted mag case or another big one. Just tighten the KEYLESS chuck hand tight and have at it.

No matter which particular unit you use, keep the cutter and the mandrel well lubricated. If your mandrel starts looking like it has a faint color of brass on it, you need to clean it. I usually use Shooter's Choice or SWEETS 7.62 Clean it and then flush off the chemicals, dry and lube again.

Good luck with your choices.