Recommendations for a Bipod Rail for a CZ 457 Varmint MTR

Rio2019

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2020
Taos, NM
Hey folks! I just received my CZ 457 Varmint MTR and I am in the process of fitting all the accessories to be ready for the range. I have installed a Nikon 1000 4-16X50 scope, an Area 419 scope mount, and removed the sling swivel screws from the stock. These screws are wood screws and they will not fit in the Area 419 bipod rail. Can you folks let me know what bipod rail you have used that will accommodate these sling swivel wood screws. As always, thank you in advance!

Hey folks! I just received my CZ 457 Varmint MTR and I am in the process of fitting all the accessories to be ready for the range. I have installed a Nikon 1000 4-16X50 scope, an Area 419 scope mount, and removed the sling swivel screws from the stock. These screws are wood screws and they will not fit in the Area 419 bipod rail. Can you folks let me know what bipod rail you have used that will accommodate these sling swivel wood screws. As always, thank you in advance!

I have used Tee Nuts for installing a rail to a wood stock. It really helps to have a mill and an appropriately sized end mill. I align a drill bit with the sling swivel hole, change to an end mill, and remove wood to the depth of the tee nut. Buy some machine screws and mount your rail. I prefer machine screws since they are a lot better than short wood screws.

Hope this helps.

1605714085735.png

Reactions: Rio2019
I have used Tee Nuts for installing a rail to a wood stock. It really helps to have a mill and an appropriately sized end mill. I align a drill bit with the sling swivel hole, change to an end mill, and remove wood to the depth of the tee nut. Buy some machine screws and mount your rail. I prefer machine screws since they are a lot better than short wood screws.

Hope this helps.

View attachment 7475238
Thank you Shooter, I already have an Area 419 bipod rail, so I'll just pull off the stock and drill and counter-sink. This is my first wooden stock to customize. Best, Glenn

Glen, thanks for posting this video for others to see. A couple of things I do differently is that I start with a longer screw instead of using a punch and a hammer. Especially in wood stock the t nut clamps down pretty well. After the t nut is set in the stock, I swap the longer screw with the correct length of fastener. I also use more than one t nut. I find that if for whatever reason I use this setup with my bipod/tripod in the center of the rail, I do not like the center of the rail flexing. If I have all of the tools out, why not add one more for a little better support along the entire rail. You can usually find t nuts at your local hardware store.

Good luck and be extra careful with the paddle bit!

Glen, thanks for posting this video for others to see. A couple of things I do differently is that I start with a longer screw instead of using a punch and a hammer. Especially in wood stock the t nut clamps down pretty well. After the t nut is set in the stock, I swap the longer screw with the correct length of fastener. I also use more than one t nut. I find that if for whatever reason I use this setup with my bipod/tripod in the center of the rail, I do not like the center of the rail flexing. If I have all of the tools out, why not add one more for a little better support along the entire rail. You can usually find t nuts at your local hardware store.

Good luck and be extra careful with the paddle bit!
Really appreciate your comments and I will differently mount the Area 419 rail as you recommended. Thanks much, Glenn

Last edited: