• #0001 Limited edition launch patch (only 200 available)

Grab a limited edition patch and use code AMERICA24 for 20% off all merch

Grab your patch

Recommendations for Rifle Pelican Case

NHPiper

Tactical Bagpiper
Minuteman
  • Feb 17, 2017
    Concord, NH
    Planning a trip out west to do some shooting with friends and want to bring 2 rifles. One may be a 300WM with a 28" barrel in a McMillan A3-5 and the other will be either a 6.5CM with a 16" barrel in a folding chassis or a 308Win with an 18" barrel and McMillan A5.

Any suggestions on Pelican cases or similar that would fit both rifles, magazines, and suppressor? Will likely ship ammo or store it in another pelican case. Would love to know model numbers.

the V800 seems to be a good option...not their most expensive cases but still quite formidable.
    • Interior: 53" × 16" × 6"
    i'd suggest placing the rifles side by side and measuring the composit allowing 2 inches in between and at either end to be safe

That 28” barrel might hurt you. My AI with my 26” with a area 419 break barely fits in my 1750. I highly recommend you get your measurement off your rifle. And go to the website and look at what they offer.

Reactions: Kpchurch
    Planning a trip out west to do some shooting with friends and want to bring 2 rifles. One may be a 300WM with a 28" barrel in a McMillan A3-5 and the other will be either a 6.5CM with a 16" barrel in a folding chassis or a 308Win with an 18" barrel and McMillan A5.

Any suggestions on Pelican cases or similar that would fit both rifles, magazines, and suppressor? Will likely ship ammo or store it in another pelican case. Would love to know model numbers.

I have been using the Pelican 1750s since 1990. Since then they have added wheels and redisgned the latches. The new ones have some sort of double pivot and are fairly easy to close. The old ones were a bitch !! Don't buy an old style case if you get the chance. The weight has stayed the same and is at 25 lbs. empty. That means when I put my V22 in the case it is over 43 lbs to roll and carry. Oh yes... they
    now have handles on two sides. Given that I have 5145.00 into my rifle as shown, the cost of the case is very reasonable. I also have a dedicated pic-n-pluc foam cut out for the V22 so I never worry about my gun or glass getting hurt in any way.
    I would have to describe the 1750s as being BOMB proof !!

When I put two guns in a case, I put a bath towel between them to keep them from touching.
    I normally don't use a dedicated center foam insert either. That means that I remove the center foam piece and just use the top and bottom sections and squeeze my guns between them. You will probably want to remove your bolts too so they don't tear into the outer foam sections. You will see what I mean when you go to close the lid on your Pelican vault.

My Vudoo has an OAL of 40". I have 4" to spare at the butt end, therefore based on the yellow tape, I have 6.5" at the muzzle end. As you can see, my V22 is locked into the pic-n-pluc pretty well. You may consider two cases.
    I have three and all I have to protect are my childish twenty two's. LoL Sadly, I do have a 45-70 that wont fit in one of my cases.

Regards
    Shawn

Attachments

• VUDOO V22.JPG
      VUDOO V22.JPG
      325.8 KB · Views: 418
    • 1 PELICAN.JPG
      1 PELICAN.JPG
      573.1 KB · Views: 446
    • 2 PELICAN.JPG
      2 PELICAN.JPG
      632.1 KB · Views: 376
    • 3 PELICAN.JPG
      3 PELICAN.JPG
      290.6 KB · Views: 332
    • DSC09864.JPG
      DSC09864.JPG
      496.2 KB · Views: 244
    • Z1.jpg
      Z1.jpg
      100.2 KB · Views: 232
    • Z2.jpg
      Z2.jpg
      58.7 KB · Views: 210
    • Z4.jpg
      Z4.jpg
      47.5 KB · Views: 211
    • Z6.jpg
      Z6.jpg
      45.5 KB · Views: 224
    • TORREY PINES.jpg
      TORREY PINES.jpg
      356.6 KB · Views: 265
    Last edited:
    No, No, No,.... I still feel the Pelican 1750 is better and here is someone else's take as well.

Beside what this guy did, I found the center of gravity of my dressed V22 and put it directly under
    the case handle. That way the case is always level and I'm not fighting with it when I cant roll it.
    Having a balanced load makes a big difference.

Last edited:
    SKB also make some nice cases. In some instances, they pass for musical instrument (keyboard) cases, since that is one of their main areas of sales.

Hi,

I can put 2 full rifles with 27" barrels and S&B 5-45s on them into the V800.
    It is not pretty but they did survive shipment to and from Shot Show in that manner and you may have to hold your mouth in a certain way to close the latches, lol.

Sincerely,
    Theis
    I'm in the same boat as the op and want to try and find a hard side case that will fit 2 match rifles. The v800 was the case I was looking into as well. Do you by chance have a pic of your case set up so I can get an idea of fitment?

The plano field locker is designed to hold two scoped rifles, but not sure if it will work with the 28" barrel. I've got one, and it's built like a tank.

The plano field locker is designed to hold two scoped rifles, but not sure if it will work with the 28" barrel. I've got one, and it's built like a tank.

Ive got one of their single rifle field locker cases and it’s damn near bomb proof. So their double rifle version should be just as solid.

i've never purchased from them and as such had no reference as to their customer service......surprisingly, i only just ordered one today and this eve i received notice that it was shipped and confirmed on UPS tracking..... so far so good. i'll update once it arrives. i only paid for ground shipping so it might take a week or so i bet.

Last edited:
    in case you're interested i just purchased the Vault double rifle case with wheels from ProGun for $139 shipped
    the price drops from the listed $199 when you put it in the cart. This is only for the black case, the tan case is still $199 before shipping.

Just ordered a V800. Still the same price. $138.95 shipped. Thanks for the heads-up!

i hope to use it for both a single rifle and the occasional second rifle. the combined weight of 2 rifles might prove prohibitive...will know shortly. hopefully the wheels will help in that regard.

(my old and only case to date is very old and tired and i was afraid the latches might one day not hold. i've had it for more than 25 years if i recall correctly).

in advance of purchasing the case i laid my 2 rifles next to each other( in opposing / complementary directions) and then measured the overall dimension...it seemed to be a good fit. one of my rifles has a qd scope mount but if my calculations prove accurate i don't think i'll have to remove it from the rifle.

i do however worry that the case might not fit in my trunk, i have a midsize sedan.

Last edited:
    Just bought this Pelican i3300 to replace my SKB:

Awesome case. I don't know if I'd be comfy putting two rifles in it but it fits my 24" barreled Savage 10 with chassis and glass and bipod in with plenty to spare. Love the Pelican cases. Always have....cushy rubber handles, wheels, 6 locking latches, and built like a tank. Got mine on clearance at Scheels for like $230.

VooDoo

i hope to use it for both a single rifle and the occasional second rifle. the combined weight of 2 rifles might prove prohibitive...will know shortly. hopefully the wheels will help in that regard.

(my old and only case to date is very old and tired and i was afraid the latches might one day not hold. i've had it for more than 25 years if i recall correctly).

in advance of purchasing the case i laid my 2 rifles next to each other( in opposing / complementary directions) and then measured the overall dimension...it seemed to be a good fit. one of my rifles has a qd scope mount but if my calculations prove accurate i don't think i'll have to remove it from the rifle.

i do however worry that the case might not fit in my trunk, i have a midsize sedan.
    Good luck with that. I have a 1750 and it won't fit into my wife's Chrysler 300 trunk, and that's a big trunk. I can lay it on the back seat and juuussst close the doors.

i just received the case.....really surprised how quickly it arrived. it's a pretty impressive case.

i've never owned a prestige hard case so not sure how it compares but i'm impressed with both the quality and price of the case.

it has 5 layers of padding and locks up very solid. wheels are great. the padding covers the wheels so the wheels do not impinge on usable space.

1911hombre, you're absolutely correct....it will never fit in my trunk but that said i'm glad i purchased it. i really did need a new case.

in case you're interested i just purchased the Vault double rifle case with wheels from ProGun for $139 shipped
    the price drops from the listed $199 when you put it in the cart. This is only for the black case, the tan case is still $199 before shipping.

Really good deal, great case. Got mine the other day and cut the foam for a perfect fit. Thank for the heads up