• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Recommendations Spotter with Recticle

Hogg0494

Old hunter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2018
Upstate new york
Looking for input for a spotter with a recticle,used for paper punching @ 200 & steel out to 1200 or so.want to keep this under $1500. I see alot good reviews on Athlon Cronus Tactical 7-42x60 for $999. All input appreciated

I really like my MK4 12-40x with a Horus in it and never had any issues with observing targets at the ranges you’re looking to use one at. Fairly compact and definitely durable. If you aren’t a fan of the grid reticles, then check one out with the TMR in it. Very clean and easy/quick to read. They pop up on here from time to time at under your budget. If you’re Mil/LE, I think leupold does a discount on their stuff so hit em up directly.

Disclaimer: My experience with spotting scope brands is limited to owning the Leupold and an old school M49. I’ve only used other brands while glassing for other shooters but don’t have enough time on any one particular make/model to give feedback.

Will also advocate for the Mk4; my 12-40x60 has a TMR reticle. It’s fairly light weight, durable, decent glass and doesn’t take up a lot of room in the drag bag. No issues with spotting hits on paper to 300, seeing bullet trace and calling corrections at distance (1000+)

I had to have its ocular housing replaced a few years back (I bought it off eBay with a dented housing cheap), which leupold did under warranty; I just paid to ship it to their Beaverton, OR facility. turn around was about two weeks IIRC and it’s worked great ever since.

Swarovski has come up with a lighted reticle that can be turned on/off - in MOA or MIL. It will be available late this year or first 1/4 next year. The Spotter is called the STR and it is offered in a 80mm lens with 20-60x or 25-50x. Pricey, but looks promising and may give Spotter 60 competition.

To be honest I think you should just order a bushing that gives you .002" neck tension with the brass you are using.
Swarovski has come up with a lighted reticle that can be turned on/off - in MOA or MIL. It will be available late this year or first 1/4 next year. The Spotter is called the STR and it is offered in a 80mm lens with 20-60x or 25-50x. Pricey, but looks promising and may give Spotter 60 competition.

That's been available for a few years now buddy

I’m probably in the minority, but I’ve bought two US Optics spotters used on here for $600-$700 that have served me well. Incredible eye relief compared to my traditional spotters. Mine are in moa and mil.

That USO spotter is pretty sweet! Don't see those very often anymore. I spent a year hunting for one with no luck.

The Burris Signature HD 85mm and Vortex Razor HD 85mm spotters both have a reticle equipped eyepiece available.

Either of those will have good serviceable glass quality and be around 1500 after you add the reticle eyepiece.

I've tried a few of the cheaper chinese reticle equipped spotters, and found reading mirage, spotting bullet trace and seeing bullet holes on paper past 300ish yards to be very tough.

For spotting paper at 200 and seeing hits on steel out to 1000, I think the cheaper ones would probably be fine.

I ended up getting two Optolyth TBG80 spotters, with a 30x reticle eyepiece, and a 20-60.

One spotter with standard glass and one with flourite. I bought one direct from a Europe distributor for 900$, (body only) to avoid the US importer, who doesn't seem to have a very good reputation around here. I got my other Optolyth on eBay for 300$, it came with a 20-60 eyepiece.

I got the reticle eyepiece for 500$ from SWFA. I've been using them for a couple years now. They are excellent spotters.

The Optolyth reticle eyepiece can be rotated 360°. That feature comes in handy sometimes.

House is about 2500 yards, overcast and foggy.

No-one makes a cover for Optolyth spotters, so I made my own, as well as an aluminum riser block so I could mount it upside down.

Last edited:

Definitely been out for about 3-4 years lol and won't give the spotter 60 a run because it's not even the best quality glass swaro has. Not a bad spotter at all, but it’s no henny.

Ya, as stated above STR’s been out for years. It’s big and bulky but glass is good

Good info so far guys,swaro & henny are way above my pricepoint.looking like a used mk4 so far,or a burris or razor,no one has any input on this Athlon Cronus 7-42 spotter for $999?gonna open another thread for input on the cronus. Feel free to keep adding to this thread for options

Good info as I'm just starting to look for one myself. I'm looking at everything so keep the information flowing. I like to buy things once and get the best I can afford....even spend a little more

Looking for input for a spotter with a recticle,used for paper punching @ 200 & steel out to 1200 or so.want to keep this under $1500. I see alot good reviews on Athlon Cronus Tactical 7-42x60 for $999. All input appreciated
There is a Mk4 with H32 reticle one PX for 1300 I believe. Little high, I’d offer 11-1200 if it’s in good condition.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
If you wait until Black Friday vortex runs a deal on experticity/expert voice if you have an account. I got the vortex razor HD with the 80mm objective off that and then recently picked up the extra MRAD eyepiece. Total I only have about 1500 in the set, but that deal only seems to be once a year.