• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors Recommended bullet clearance on a suppressor

Re: Recommended bullet clearance on a suppressor

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think most manufacturers have it around .015 to .020 clearance.</div></div>

On each side of the bullet or they add that to the bullet diameter? Example 338 and .020.

.358 hole? or .378?

.015"-.020" is tight , you threads had better be tight and accurate.

I think that generaly .030" per side would be good , I use .050" per side on all my form 1 cans and it works realy well , I highly doubt that your going to gain any noticable sound increase in sound going with the slightly bigger bore.

The AAC Cyclone has a .400" bore , it is tapered but the bore is pretty big and that is considered to be a very good can

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think most manufacturers have it around .015 to .020 clearance.</div></div>

On each side of the bullet or they add that to the bullet diameter? Example 338 and .020.

.358 hole? or .378? </div></div>

Each side.

In theory it should be ok ,but if your barrel is not threaded perfectly concentric you might run into problems. Call Phil Dater at gemtech's custom shop and ask him what he thinks.You could even have him bore it out a little just to be safe.They have extremely fair pricing.209-938-2173 is the number for the custom shop.

I asked Dave at One Shot Firearms in Wenatchee the same question,he said he would not reccomend a 6mm in the AWC Raider I'm getting from him.The 6X45 AR I've run for 6 years is still my favorite AR,I'd like an alternative to putting a .30 cal suppressor on it.Ideas,anyone?

You can make one or contact any of the manufactures and see if they will make one for your needs. The case size is the same for the 6mm-223 so you would not need the bigger more volum of the 308 sized cans and in all honesty the pwders used in the 6x45 are generaly a little bit faster burning so the regular 223 size suppressor may work perfectly or better for the 6mm than the 223.

As long as its a good desgine then you will get good suppression , I have two friends that use the AAC 762SD on their 14.5" AR's as well as their 308's and the can gives great suppression on the AR , even better than a couple other commercial suppressors desgined for that caliber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can make one or contact any of the manufactures and see if they will make one for your needs. The case size is the same for the 6mm-223 so you would not need the bigger more volum of the 308 sized cans and in all honesty the pwders used in the 6x45 are generaly a little bit faster burning so the regular 223 size suppressor may work perfectly or better for the 6mm than the 223. </div></div>

Real good point,I use a 65 VMAX with 27.5 H335 for Yotes and Rockchucks,I noticed that at night with out a Flash suppressor,there was very minimal muzzle flash,this is in a 16" barrel,Tells me it is very efficient.