Recommended Optics

AquaRhombus77

AquaRhombus77
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2023
Oklahoma
Good afternoon everyone. I'm reaching out with a question. What is your favorite optic under $1,200? I'm moving off of a Nikon 3x9 BDC SFP hunter scope. My max yardage at my old range was 200 yards. I have the ability to go up to 1,000 yards since I moved. What do you guys recommend? I primarily shoot my Ruger GSR in .223/5.56. I've moved up to a Savage Axis in .308 Win. I got it for under $300. I wanted to save most of my budget towards a nice scope. I've never had what I would call, "amazing" optics. So what would recommend? I'm used to SFP, MOA. However I don't mid changing things up.

Under $1200 and for the range? Meaning the turrets don't need to lock but has good glass? Something from the Vortex PST line.

Eurooptic has the 5-25x for under $1k. The ONLY things I don't like about those scopes are the weight and the turrets that don't lock, but for a range gun, those shouldn't matter.

Reactions: AquaRhombus77
First off, condolences for being from Oklahoma. Just kidding. Except during Texas-OU weekend, which is coming up.

Anyway, depends on the budget. Arken is dirt cheap in the 1200 budget range and I see guys doing well with the Arken scopes at the Texas Plinking 1 MOA at 1K challenge.

I agree that Vortex Viper line, where you would find the PST is a good choice but it will break the 1200 dollar budget, unless you are just adamant about that.

The Strike Eagle has illumination, Rev Stop zero stop (2 full revolutions. However, get yourself a 20 MOA rail and never worry about it.) Also, get good rings. I use Vortex Match Precision rings for my scopes and all of them are for hunting various things. They are pricey. 150 for a set at Amazon and worth every dadburned penny. No lapping. Tighten to 18 in-lbs, fugeddaboudit.

Yes, you can get similar performance from Arken. With one caveat. The style of turret is set screws. You will need Vibra Tite VC-3 for the threads of the set screws for the turret. Not the zero stop, but the turret.

I know plenty of others will chime in.

More importantly than fancy features, get the glass that looks good to your eye.

• Haha
Reactions: AquaRhombus77
First off, condolences for being from Oklahoma. Just kidding. Except during Texas-OU weekend, which is coming up.

Anyway, depends on the budget. Arken is dirt cheap in the 1200 budget range and I see guys doing well with the Arken scopes at the Texas Plinking 1 MOA at 1K challenge.

I agree that Vortex Viper line, where you would find the PST is a good choice but it will break the 1200 dollar budget, unless you are just adamant about that.

The Strike Eagle has illumination, Rev Stop zero stop (2 full revolutions. However, get yourself a 20 MOA rail and never worry about it.) Also, get good rings. I use Vortex Match Precision rings for my scopes and all of them are for hunting various things. They are pricey. 150 for a set at Amazon and worth every dadburned penny. No lapping. Tighten to 18 in-lbs, fugeddaboudit.

Yes, you can get similar performance from Arken. With one caveat. The style of turret is set screws. You will need Vibra Tite VC-3 for the threads of the set screws for the turret. Not the zero stop, but the turret.

I know plenty of others will chime in.

More importantly than fancy features, get the glass that looks good to your eye.
Its going to be a rough football season.

Reactions: Ronws
Good afternoon everyone. I'm reaching out with a question. What is your favorite optic under $1,200? I'm moving off of a Nikon 3x9 BDC SFP hunter scope. My max yardage at my old range was 200 yards. I have the ability to go up to 1,000 yards since I moved. What do you guys recommend? I primarily shoot my Ruger GSR in .223/5.56. I've moved up to a Savage Axis in .308 Win. I got it for under $300. I wanted to save most of my budget towards a nice scope. I've never had what I would call, "amazing" optics. So what would recommend? I'm used to SFP, MOA. However I don't mid changing things up.
I would forgo the PST series, and get the new Viper HD 5-25x50 FFP MIL scope. I have one. IMO, it has better glass, better turrets, better scope overall for around the same price as the PST-II.

If you want a more tactical scope on a budget, I'd also suggest forgoing the Arken, and looking into the new DNT 7-35x56 TOR-MIL scope. The DNT is built by the same OEM in China as the Arkens, but with slightly better Japanese EXD glass, over the Arken EP5 Gen2 7-35x56. It's almost and identical scope, slightly different knurling on the knobs, and better glass for around the same price. Doug over at CameraLand has them for $599 right now. It's nowhere near "alpha" or "top tier" like some folks try to claim, but for what you're looking to do, it's more than good enough to learn on, and has tons of travel with the 34mm tube. It's pretty heavy @ 42oz, but if you plan to mostly shoot in-place, from a bench, or bipod, and don't plan on rucking it through the mountains, then you'd be fine.

I bought one just to check it out, and under $750, it's going to be really damn hard to beat.

IMG_2273.jpegIMG_2274.jpeg

Another option in your price range, that has better glass than both listed above is the Burris XTR-3 5.5-30x56, and can be had on sale for around $1,200... VERY good scope for the money, I have one, and it's been great.

Reactions: Ronws
Under $1200 (I haven't bought an optic in this price range for quite a while)

- Meopta Optika6 5-30x56. My brother bought one and we've been really impressed with the optical quality of it being a sub $1000 option. Others tend to agree. Think he paid like $700 for a "like new" sample.

- At $1200 you're nearing some of the popular Japanese OEM options. Like Athlon Cronus and similar for example. Tip: if you call around to some of the hide scope vendors, they might be able to give a better listed price than what's displayed on their websites. For example give cameralandny.com a call and tell them your price range and that you've heard about them on snipershide.