Recommended Upgrades for CZ457 Pro Varmint

The Muffin Man

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2018
MO
Got my order placed for a CZ457 Pro Varmint after I was finally able to find one in stock without paying an arm and a leg What is everyone's recommended upgrades to start with? I already picked up a 20 MOA Area 419 rail and will be topping it with a Diamondback Tactical 4-16x as I figure that is more then enough for 50 yards will it will primarily live but yet still allow me to stretch it out a bit if I want to challenge myself. Are there any other upgrades I should consider right off the bat?

a few items to consider - a cheek pack to increase the comb height, Area 419 bolt knob, 10 round magazine and some decent ammo. Give the SK Pistol Match and SK Standard plus a try, green and yellow boxes. They shoot incredibly well out of my 457.

Scope related - Vortex Defender flip caps, throw lever and bubble level are all nice additions, but not as critical as the ones above to me.

Attachments

• CZ457.jpeg
    CZ457.jpeg
    914.6 KB · Views: 903
Just my opinion, but unless you really want to trick out a 457, not much needs to be done. My trigger was really good out of the box, but is easily adjusted if need be. I added a DIP extended mag release, an Area 419 bolt knob, and did some light filing on the bolt to smooth the cycling.

Be mindful that rail will raise your scope quite a bit. I tried the 419 30 moa rail and it just didn't give me a good cheek weld. My rifle started as a 457 Varmint and I thought about having jducos work his magic on the factory stock comb, but ended up going this route instead.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the feedback and thanks for the heads-up on the comb height; I was actually going back and forth between the Pro Varmint and the At-One with the adjustment comb and LOP. After trying out my buddies Pro Varmint stock on his Savage, the ergo's felt good and I was really comfortable with the comb height albeit that was with a 0 MOA scope rail. I'll probably try a cheek pack first if I find I cant get a comfortable cheek weld. I think I'll probably end up trying the factory trigger and if I can get it adjusted to where I'm comfortable probably not upgrade. What sort of pull weights are you seeing before and after the installation?

I run my pull weight at 1 lb, on the nose. I removed all the pre-shot travel too. Feels like a glass rod snapping. Flawless trigger, IMO.

If you want a higher cheek weld, then look for something velcro or strapped. Don't go drilling holes in the stock. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Canto Kid
I went with a 25 moa BScar rail and a Titan Universal Cheekrest. The Titan requires 2 small screws into the top of the stock, which didn't bother me because it's a laminated stock painted black and the small holes could easily be filled. I adjusted the stock trigger and am happy with it but might give the Yo Dave a try. I'm using a Athlon 8-34 so my old eyes can see that last tiny KYL target.

Has anyone looked at sending their stock in to Boyds and having them install the adjustable comb system in it? I know the stock doc is another option but I hate to spend more on getting an adjustable comb installed then I would for an entirely new stock..

Has anyone looked at sending their stock in to Boyds and having them install the adjustable comb system in it? I know the stock doc is another option but I hate to spend more on getting an adjustable comb installed then I would for an entirely new stock..

Stock Doc would be my only choice if I had the work done. Much higher quality and tighter tolerance than Boyd's and their At-One.

+1 for stock doc aka jducos. He's done a couple of my stocks and his work is second to none and fairly quick turnaround.

As for the adjustable comb on my Boyds, it's nice but definitely not a KMW installed by jducos. I think they only install combs as an option at the time of order.

Reactions: oldfatguy
Just my opinion, but unless you really want to trick out a 457, not much needs to be done. My trigger was really good out of the box, but is easily adjusted if need be. I added a DIP extended mag release, an Area 419 bolt knob, and did some light filing on the bolt to smooth the cycling.

Be mindful that rail will raise your scope quite a bit. I tried the 419 30 moa rail and it just didn't give me a good cheek weld. My rifle started as a 457 Varmint and I thought about having jducos work his magic on the factory stock comb, but ended up going this route instead.

What stock is that please? Thanks

I have noticed my bolt is a little rough on the lift after tigger pull. what filing do you recommend and where?

I have noticed my bolt is a little rough on the lift after tigger pull. what filing do you recommend and where?
That would be the cocking ramp and I didn't file there. I used a dremel with a buffing wheel and a little mothers polish. Any needle filing was very light on the bottom where the bolt rode the raceways just to knock of burrs and sharp edges. I also followed up with the dremel and buffing wheel. All this needs to be done lightly so as not to take off metal and change the geometry.

Reactions: southerngolfer
That would be the cocking ramp and I didn't file there. I used a dremel with a buffing wheel and a little mothers polish. Any needle filing was very light on the bottom where the bolt rode the raceways just to knock of burrs and sharp edges. I also followed up with the dremel and buffing wheel. All this needs to be done lightly so as not to take off metal and change the geometry.
perfect. I'll start there. thank you

I've done a lot to my cz 457 but I agree the yodave trigger spring probably the best. Really helped for nrl/prs style shooting. It may have been extra practice and experience but my scores increased over 10% on average after installing the lighter spring...

I did not hat others have said to smooth mine out. I polished the bolt and the underside of it. I polished the rails, the ramps, and the other edges where I think the bolt handle go. I told the bolt apart and polished inside of it too.
I got the Area 419 bolt knob and that helped. I got their 30moa base too.
I put a Seekins arca rail on the bottom.
I got a diamondback tactical on it in SWFA Medium rings. I have victor company cheek risers on the way.
Lastly, because I had an extra, I put a Hellfire break on it. I mean why not.
I need flush cups too.
I haven’t touched the trigger but I think that is coming soon.

Attachments

• 4B311D08-9483-4CA4-AC2C-69E2499C0828.jpeg
    4B311D08-9483-4CA4-AC2C-69E2499C0828.jpeg
    510.9 KB · Views: 885
Reactions: Northernjets