• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Red dot at 100 yrds

ironman56

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2020
I had put together a cheap truck gun last week that I wouldn't lose too much sleep over if it turned up missing for whatever reason, PSA 11.5 upper in 5.56 ,so it's a pistol , already had a lower pistol in 300blkout so just robbed that lower for now . So went to the range yesterday to test it for function , no problems , probably 60rds down range , used a Vortex spark red dot , New out of the box ,zeroed no adjustment at 25yrds ,that never happens for me , so we back up to 100 yds and I can't believe how hard it is to focus on the red site- in target , but squeeze off 5 rounds and had to walk down range to ck target because I forgot my spotting scope ,damn 6 inch group 4 inch high and 3 inch right , now I can see why Crooks missed his kill shot , all those other bodies behind Trump would have been a big problem for him to focus on Trump , I ended up sticking a black shoot n see 6 inch target on the red site in target and adjusted the optic and was able to shrink the group to 3 inch at 100 after some practice , of course this is with a 11 .5 inch pistol and not a quality barrel , but it does have a jewel trigger. I doubt I would ever need to engage anyone at 100yrds with the gun , if I'm that far away I'll just get away but it's nice to know you can if you have to .

I sort of did the same thing except with a 16" 556 carbine. With my 10x scope on it, about 1-1/2" group was typical. I pulled the scope and put a Vortex red dot on it for comparison. Damn.... I was able to hit a 10" paper plate, but it was all over the plate. Definitely Man of Angle... Body hits only for me at 100 yards. Not an optic for "precision" shooting.

I sort of did the same thing except with a 16" 556 carbine. With my 10x scope on it, about 1-1/2" group was typical. I pulled the scope and put a Vortex red dot on it for comparison. Damn.... I was able to hit a 10" paper plate, but it was all over the plate. Definitely Man of Angle... Body hits only for me at 100 yards. Not an optic for "precision" shooting.
Yeah , I had my 16 inch carbine with me and shot it just to ck zero , same thing about 1 1/2 inch with the LPVO weaver 1x4 , and it has a black hole weaponry barrel ,rise 3lb trigger and is my home security rifle so has a light on it too. Also have 9mm ppc carbine/ pistol with red dot but never shoot it beyond 50 yds , but wanted something with a little more power and range and cheap/ semi disposable.

3C48A554-75EF-4174-B1E4-57071ED7789A.jpeg

Yous came from arfcom didn’t you.

lrn 2 shoot.

Guy misseed because he was a lousy shot. stop blaiming the optic. or the gun, or the trigger.

Im not tacticool so my AR and AKs get zero'd at 100. Aimpoint, Vortex,irons, wtf ever.

Its not hard.
Basic Marksmanship. Try it. (and Im fn blind so its hard to use iron sites. yet somehow, I manage)

Damn I can do 2-3 MOA with those shitty leaf sights on the AK at 100 and those things SUCK

When I bought my 1st AR ( colt HBar) back in 1996 iirc , I took it to a indoor range and was amazed at how accurate it was with iron sights , but my eyes are not young anymore , I need all the help I can get , still have that old colt but it's got a scope on it now , still shoots great after thousands of rounds .