• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Red Dot effectiveness

Chanonry

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2009
Aberdeen Scotland
Guys

I have been experimenting with mounting a red dot on my shotgun. It isn't something that is done very often over here, so not much local experience.

I just bought a $30 sight to see if I can get on with the thing. 4moa red dot. If it shows promise I will consider buying a proper bit of kit.

So far:

1. Surprised it didn't just fall apart after the first few shots.
2. It seems to make moving targets very simple = I like it
3. I can't see the damn dot against light backgrounds i.e. typical Scottish cloudy sky.

Is 3 as result of a cheap bit of kit or is this a common issue? For what I want to do , it isn't much use if I can't see the dot easily in my peripheral vision. I want to watch the target and be aware of the dot in all (?) light conditions, not have to hunt for the dot.

What are dependable products out there?

Thanks

Andy

Re: Red Dot effectiveness

For #3, yes, more than likely but at least make sure it has a fresh quality battery in it. There's a reason Aimpoints cost as much as they do. They're worth it.

For low cost and light weight I've had good luck with my Burris Fastfire II. Don't know if it's available for you there.

An Aimpoint will pretty much show up on the sun if you pointed it at it, so that would be the answer to question number 3. Otherwise yes, red dots rock.

I use an Aimpoint M2 on my duty rifle.

It is NV compatible and works in any condition. Full summer sun and white targets do not pose a problem. I can also dial it down so it doesn't bloom in the middle of night or even further so that it doesn't burn my NV if I wanted to mount the -14 behind the aimpoint.

There isn't much better for making extremely rapid precision shots.