red dot on a 22

can you see how much faith i have in what he told me? hence why i asked the question as i've never used a red dot or know how they work. and this was right after showing him the fox i dropped last night after it took one of our young geese. he asked if i dropped the fox with my 22. i havent even mounted a scope on my 22, its still sitting in the safe a year+ on. one day i'll get around to it, just not today.

IMG_20221225_113227.jpg

Have a 1 MOA red dot on a good 22 pistol. With a rest, I can group maybe 2 inches at 50 yards on a good day. Your eyes (or at least my eyes) cannot resolve an inch at 100 yards.

i suspect his 100m was 10m

nothing to do with the topic i started, but this is what i did with my new tuned weihrauch 97k. i still wanna try the pellets the tuner used when tune was done, tiny group. saying that, i do have arthritis and trigger finger in my trigger finger. sucks getting old!

IMG_20221217_120004.jpg

Reactions: Cowpokey
I couldn't see the 1" sticker yesterday with s red dot on my AR pistol. Even when I made the dot as small as possible while still seeing a dot it covered up the poa at 100yds. Of course we all know he's fos

Reactions: Gee Kay
I do rimfire benchrest competitions.

My set up is a Winchester 52c Bull, Leupold 36x scope, and regular old rest with a leather bunny ear rear bag. My kit is considered low dollar when compared to what the other guys are shooting but I am pretty competitive. Not going to tell you what I spend on fifty rounds of 22LR.

We got guys with more invested on the shooting bench then the vehicle they drove up in.

At 100 yards, if one of us shoots a 1 inch group, he generally has a medal go home with him.

I cannot help but snicker at the poster that gets a off the shelf Ruger 10/22, fills it up with the cheap ammo, slaps a wal mart scope on it and claims to shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yards all day long (if I do my part!).

Tell me another one willya?

Regards,
Crankster

Reactions: Gee Kay and BurtG
So bear with me here, I'm new to this long range .22 stuff. If 1/2" isn't real for .22 @ 100 then what is the point of LR .22???
very confused, but my world since 1969 shooting .22 is around 20-30yds accurately irons of course but explain please.
PS I just got a 20" heavy barrel 10/22 thinking I could be accurate at 100. It appears even 1" is the grail??

Reactions: Gee Kay
So bear with me here, I'm new to this long range .22 stuff. If 1/2" isn't real for .22 @ 100 then what is the point of LR .22???
very confused, but my world since 1969 shooting .22 is around 20-30yds accurately irons of course but explain please.
PS I just got a 20" heavy barrel 10/22 thinking I could be accurate at 100. It appears even 1" is the grail??
With a center fire rifle it’s achievable. But think of 22 at 100 being like center fire at 300. Or 500.

Where someone would say 1000 yards is long for rifle shooting would be equivalent to 300 yards being long for rimfire. Many of the same effects on bullets/shooters ability but the range is tightened up.

Your not shooting a high BC bullet at 2800 fps. It’s a 40 grain slug at 1100 fps. Therefore it won’t handle range like the big rifles do. Plus your dealing with factory ammo which has flyers and what not.

Many people build “trainers” in .22 to keep cost of practice down and mimic longer range ballistics at closer range.

Reactions: Gee Kay and Modoc
Yeah I get that but I guess what surprises me is how much money people will put in a .22 for the given results. I'm all in on .22 but now I won't be disappointed with my new 10/22 LOL

Yeah I get that but I guess what surprises me is how much money people will put in a .22 for the given results. I'm all in on .22 but now I won't be disappointed with my new 10/22 LOL
You’ll probably be very happy with that

Some look at it as “hey, I built this gun that is basically identical to my expensive center fire but can shoot at a fraction of the price”

Many build to compete with. Even guns you consider expensive won’t keep up with what the guys shooting $1000+ .22’s consider expensive

And in the end it’s just something people want and have the $$ to spend. Same goes for

Savage vs AI
Athlon vs ZCO
Ruger vs Vudoo

All accomplish the same thing in the long run for most people. But they are not the same.

The dot isn’t a deal breaker by any means. I’ve shot plenty of sub 1 inch groups with a centerfire and a 4MOA dot, no big deal. (Iron sights too when I could still see )
The dot doesn’t know how big it is nor does it matter. Like iron sites, it’s just a matter of holding it in the same spot every time.

Remember we’re talking about shooting a group, not hitting a sub 1 inch target That completely disappears behind it.