• Frank's Lesson's Contest

We want to see your skills! Post a video between now and November 1st showing what you've learned from Frank's lessons and 3 people will be selected to win a free shirt. Good luck everyone!

Create a channel Learn more
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Red dot on top of rifle scope

seansmd

In a minute man
Minuteman
  • Aug 8, 2018
    AZ
    I see some folks use these for I believe quicker target location. What are thoughts with this has it been valuable for this using it, or one of those things that's there but they rarely use?

If it is valuable what distance do folks zero them, and any brand recommendations for this use case.

Recently saw a guy who has his set up to be a direct view with the non-shooting eye so he doesn't even have to pop his head up and down to see the red dot. Going to play with that myself to see if it works better than the top mount I use. I find it handy, but YMMV.

As for range, have a look at your dope and the ranges you excpect in a match and pick a happy medium. I use about 6-800 metres.

Reactions: seansmd
    I run Leupold Delta Point Pros on top caps on my match rigs at the 1:30 position. I find it is noticeably faster to index on a target than without.

I dial on my 600 yard in my main optic, put the reticle on a target at 600 and zero the red dot on that same target. Works great for about 200-1200 yards.

This video is somewhat tough to follow ( I thought) but the guys thinking sounds legit...he’s legit, so I’d give thought and some credibility to his advice. Of course be it said I don’t have or shoot a red dot at this time and never have. Not trying to sound like “I know things” when I don’t in some things. Good luck, just check it out. ?

Similar setups have been used by 3-Gun and Action shooters for years. Everybody has different requirements. I have been looking at putting one on my Barret because it will probably end up with my Mark 4 fixed 16X scope and that makes it hard for finding and shooting close in which for me is under 200 yards. One thing you have to keep in mind is height over bore as well as your offset if the dot is on the side.

I too have wondered about trying this. For the most part I don’t have issues using natural point of aim getting behind the scope and finding targets. Occasionally when targets are very blended in I could see this being helpful.

Recently saw a guy who has his set up to be a direct view with the non-shooting eye so he doesn't even have to pop his head up and down to see the red dot. Going to play with that myself to see if it works better than the top mount I use. I find it handy, but YMMV.

As for range, have a look at your dope and the ranges you excpect in a match and pick a happy medium. I use about 6-800 metres.

I recall that post but now cant find it. Do you recall where it was?

I would like to run a red dot with a vortex amg. it would be for hunting. Red dot for anything 50 and under.

This is exactly where I find it useful. I use all my rifles for hunting regardless of weight. Where I would find a red dot useful would be on a rifle with a really high power low magnification or one with small field of view. You do this in case a deer or coyote pops up at 30 yards, which they do at times.

Reactions: seansmd and Bangin
    Yeah, I see some guys doing it more regularly and and even see people doing it on spotting scopes It definitely has the potential to make target acquisition a little quicker.

I recall that post but now cant find it. Do you recall where it was?

I do not. In all honesty I think the easiest way to sort that out would be to set up a mirror against the floor and face it behind your rifle and see where your non-shooting eye winds up. And then desperately try to find how to mount an optic there....!

auxiliary red dots are the millennial equivalent of

1586480405623.png

I use an ACOG that has the RMR on top, mounted on a sbr ar15. It is basically an instant acquisition of target upon mounting the weapon. Much faster than acquiring a proper cheek weld and view from the ACOG. I have it sighted point of aim at 100 yards. If speed isn’t an issue, the ACOG’s 4x magnification is the better sight.

Are we talking RDS on top of a scope on a bolt gun or on a semi? Huge difference.

On a bolt gun (or spotter) guys do this to try and get their gun pointed at the target quicker prior to getting on the gun/positioning themselves to look through the scope. If you can see the target and align the RDS to follow what your scope is looking at, its a quick way of doing that without the limited FOV the optic gives you.

On a semi its because I don't particulary like shooting at people up close while looking through a 10x scope.

Are we talking RDS on top of a scope on a bolt gun or on a semi? Huge difference.

On a bolt gun (or spotter) guys do this to try and get their gun pointed at the target quicker prior to getting on the gun/positioning themselves to look through the scope. If you can see the target and align the RDS to follow what your scope is looking at, its a quick way of doing that without the limited FOV the optic gives you.

On a semi its because I don't particulary like shooting at people up close while looking through a 10x scope.
    The former was my original question.

The AR setup is effective due to speed, as it is more suitable for close and quick encounters. I wouldn’t think a long range gun would get much value from the red dot addition. Never hurts to try something new.

On a bolt or spotter with higher mag, it aides in getting your gun pointed at/close to your intended target assuming you can see it with your unaided eye.

Helps in not having to play the 'where is the target' game with a magnified optic with a smaller FOV.

Ever see a target, then try and get your body behind the gun and lined up on the target only to look left, right, left again, zoom out, look right, trying to find where the target is? The RDS can cut down on that if you have it offset correctly with your scope/bore and not converged.

On a bolt or spotter with higher mag, it aides in getting your gun pointed at/close to your intended target assuming you can see it with your unaided eye.

Helps in not having to play the 'where is the target' game with a magnified optic with a smaller FOV.

Ever see a target, then try and get your body behind the gun and lined up on the target only to look left, right, left again, zoom out, look right, trying to find where the target is? The RDS can cut down on that if you have it offset correctly with your scope/bore and not converged.
    This was the intent of my original question, bolt gun, on the clock, does it help with target aquire and alignment as @TheGerman described?

TheGerman best me too it. That’s exactly what it is intended for on a bolt gun. I run a Trijicon RMR on top of my Spuhr Mount for fast target acquisition at distance. A lot East to get on target with it and once you get on scope you don’t have to search all over heal at the higher magnifications.