• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Redding T-7 upgrade?

frost1235

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2018
Where it snows
I'm currently running a Lee Classic Turret for my precision loads, with SDs between 4-7fps depending on how focused I am at the moment.

I see midsouth and midway has the T-7 on sale at $259 and was wondering if this was the time to upgrade? My only gripe with the Lee press is how much force I have to use to resize cases, other than that, I love the press.

Anyone have any experience with both presses? Or upgraded their setup and think they could have just stayed with their old set up?

I’ve been using the T-7 for quite a few years, it’s a nice press. I have not used the Lee you mentioned so I can’t comment.

Resizing cases on the T-7 is a breeze, you do lube your cases.....correct?

259 seems like a good price for the press, think about it......

Reactions: frost1235
Redding Sizing wax made everything so much easier. But when it gets to the point of shoulder bumping, if I don't adjust the die, I'll be pressing down on the lever with all my weight or multiple times. (Regardless of annealing, once fired, or multiple fired brass.)

The T-7 is great if you load multiple calibers etc. I use Wilson seaters so I only have the sizer's/collet puller/expander etc in mine. i wish I had bought one sooner. My dies never move, other than to pull and clean.

Imperial or witch's brew for lube works great.

I do recommend an arbor press/wilson seater as its the bomb.

I have the T-7 myself. This is my first press. Got it, cause of the ease of reloading. Have everything there, instead of constantly changing dies. Can't offer anything on the other press. But T-7 has been good so far.

I wish I did what you did. I started my freshman year in college and money was tight. Now I'm just constantly eyeing a new press for no reason but to get one. (With justification of course.)

But I don't feel as bad when I think of the possibility I might not of liked reloading, so there is a plus.

Anyone do an upgrade from the Lee specifically?

Would the arbor press do well with resizing operations?

An arbor press is typically used for bullet seating only. But I think the benchrest guys do all operations with them at the bench.

I use the T7 for resizing and seat bullets with the arbor/wilson seater. It is superior to a micro die imho. So let me put it to you this way.....minus the cost of the arbor, I can use a redding type S/wilson seater for about 110 bones. This also makes it cheaper in the long run when loading for multiple calibers. I have sold all my micro dies and use this method only. You can have 5 different resizing dies in the T7 and never have to move them if you opt for the wilson seater/arbor.

Just go buy the T7, you will not regret it.

My only issue with my current press was with resizing, hence is why I thought someone else would bring up an arbor press.
I have never seen an arbor press, so to answer you spife, I thought there would have been a shellholder, like all the other presses I have seen thus far in my entire reloading career.

But I'd look at an arbor for future usage. As of right now, I am simply sticking with a single caliber to perfect my technique and knowledge. I can definitely see the advantage of an arbor press compared to just an adjustable micrometer seater die for the same price.

A nice overview of the inline dies just for a bit of decent illustration

The redding is nice, dont get me wrong, but its also pricey. I would probably prefer to go with a cheaper single stage rock chucker over the turret press myself. Leaving dies set up all the time is less impressive to me with the advent of lock rings allowing for removel without losing your settings.
The one complaint on the lee stuff is that if a case takes a healthy amount of force to seat then the whole press kind of flexes and so your effort is being transmitted into the press itself instead of being transmitted to the case. Neither the redding or a rock chucker should flex on you allowing for easier sizing.

A nice overview of the inline dies just for a bit of decent illustration

The redding is nice, dont get me wrong, but its also pricey. I would probably prefer to go with a cheaper single stage rock chucker over the turret press myself. Leaving dies set up all the time is less impressive to me with the advent of lock rings allowing for removel without losing your settings.
The one complaint on the lee stuff is that if a case takes a healthy amount of force to seat then the whole press kind of flexes and so your effort is being transmitted into the press itself instead of being transmitted to the case. Neither the redding or a rock chucker should flex on you allowing for easier sizing.

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

What I was trying to elude to, was a cost savings over the long term. Die sets are more expensive than just buying a resizer+ wilson seater. At some point you will load another caliber. Even if you just get a rock chucker and a seater it would make better rounds.

I do not recommend Lee anything tho.

I have a Lee classic Turret and my buddy has a T7.

Besides holding more dies the only other advantage I see is it costs more.

The lee Classic presses and collet dies are pretty hard to beat for the money.

Most of the other Lee products,,,,,,,,,,.Meh.

Redding makes really nice presses, and the T7 is no exception. Arbor presses will allow you to seat and neck size, but not full length size. Neck sizing used to be quite popular in F-Class, but that trend has declined over the years. Seating with the arbor press serves is a great diagnostic tool, and is convenient for load development at the range. Most importantly, it'll allow you to feel the neck tension, which is critical for accuracy. But if you have a consistent loading process, the T7 alone should serve you fine. I full length size with a Redding press and seat with a 21st Century arbor press.

I think you wet file/sand it down one swipe at a time.

But as you guys have stated, the Lee Classic press is great. I just wanted to have a more consistent, easier way to shoulder bump. (I definitely have to use a decent amount of weight, and constantly remeasure the shoulder.) Thank you guys!!

Can you explain in more detail on what and how you did this? I’m interested, thanks

Unscrew the big Allen screw in the middle of the press. Lift the bolt out, lift off the turret minding the indexing ball bearing at the back of the press so you don't lose it. In the middle of the turret is bushing/bearing. Carefully remove a thou or two at a time until there is no more flex at the back of the press. Reassemble and check for flex. Note that by stoning the bushing the press will be harder to turn.

• Love
Unscrew the big Allen screw in the middle of the press. Lift the bolt out, lift off the turret minding the indexing ball bearing at the back of the press so you don't lose it. In the middle of the turret is bushing/bearing. Carefully remove a thou or two at a time until there is no more flex at the back of the press. Reassemble and check for flex. Note that by stoning the bushing the press will be harder to turn.

Are you using 1000 grit sandpaper, a fine emery cloth, or a file?

Are you using 1000 grit sandpaper, a fine emery cloth, or a file?

I used 1000 grit. I measured the width of the bushing a few times to make sure I had an accurate starting point as I starting taking material off. I think it ended up being 8-9 thou total but I would have to go look. I would do a couple thou, put it back together and check to see if you can still see daylight between the back of the press and the turret.

I removed literally all play front to back. I use grease on the bottom of the turret it still turns smooth but it's def tight

Reactions: sinister
I've got two T7's. I'm assuming you could still use the turret on either one. Anyone know for sure?
You should. They sell turrets separately as well (to keep other dies and sets together).

076-67002.jpg
61LdrOFd8PL._SX425_.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve got a couple of extra turrets. That’s why I’m wondering if they would work on either press after the modification. Or would they be mated to one specific press?