• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing refinishing my pistol slide

black_ump

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2007
erie,pa 16334
So against every ones requests I will possibly be sending my usp tactical out this week for front serrations in the slide. Now I planned on then sending it to robar, I want a vary high gloss black finish applied, but before i settle on robar is their any other finishers out their that do good work ?

i though about nic's but they dont offer a gloss black ( that i know of ) then i though about duracoat but idk about those guys and kg does not take any work ( that i know of ).

if Matt cheely can put those serrations on just like i picture in my mind and the refinisher can do a nice gloss black "factory" look i will be vary vary happy with all this.

so any one know of any good refinishers before robar ?

edit:grammar error

Re: refinishing my pistol slide

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Now I planned on then sending it to robar, I want a vary high gloss black finish applied, but before i settle on robar is their any other finishers out their that do good work ?
</div></div>

What Robar finish are you planning on using to obtain a "high gloss black finish?" I only ask because I'm not aware of any of their finishes being "high gloss." About the closest you'll get is having them do Roguard in their "Satin" finish, but even that is far from "high gloss."

If you want "high gloss black" I would think about possibly using a Black Nickel or Black Chrome finish like what Ford's offers:

http://www.fordsguns.com/

(...and for one last time, James...PLEASE DON'T DO IT!!!)
wink.gif

i just assumed robar had a gloss finish, I would like a gloss black finish like the mk 23 has thats all.

I though about doing it my self but i am not sure if i would have to totally disassemble the slide or not !

do i take the ejector,firing pin and all that stuff out of the slide ? do i paint the inside of the slide as well as the outside ? and when i sand blast the slide should i get it oxided before i paint ?

if i knew all of these questions i would kg coat it my self

If you want a finish to "match" the SOCOM/Mk23 as close as possible, then get with these folks:

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/

At one time, and I am not sure this is still true, they did ALL of HK USA's refinishing work. (i.e. - if you sent in a Mk23 or other pistol to HK USA for a rebuild or refinishing...they in turn sent it to ARS who handled the refinishing work). At a minimum, they'll answer questions you might have as to what the best "recreation" of the Mk23 pistol's finish will be for your USP Tactical.

With hard chroming, if you want the shiney finish, you need to prep the surface, making it super smoothe. The satin finish covers up a lot of imperfections, the shiney surface tells the story of the prep work.

I have not seen shiney Black Robar, but it would probably be simular in the prep work.

Yes the slide will have to be disassembled, and yes you finish in and out.

Matt Cheeley is a great guy to work with. He has done some work on my STI grips.

If you decide to Robar the internals, do not finish the extractor components.

Ford's is a first class outfit.

Best of luck in your project,
Jerry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want a finish to "match" the SOCOM/Mk23 as close as possible, then get with these folks:

At one time, and I am not sure this is still true, they did ALL of HK USA's refinishing work. (i.e. - if you sent in a Mk23 or other pistol to HK USA for a rebuild or refinishing...they in turn sent it to ARS who handled the refinishing work). At a minimum, they'll answer questions you might have as to what the best "recreation" of the Mk23 pistol's finish will be for your USP Tactical. </div></div>

Mark does most excellent work!

I have had great success with Duracoat flat and satin colors, not so much with gloss, because I tend to get varying sheen. You can get the gloss clear coat Duracoat and spray it on after the color.

If you want a nice gloss black finish, I would go with the other suggestion of Black Nickel or Black Chrome, but those options cost a pretty penny last I remembered.

curious, if i do this my self what is the proper way to go about this ?

I though i would order some kg 2400 gloss black, in order to prep the slide would you ....

a) sand blast and then apply kg gloss black
b) sand blast then black oxide and apply kg
c) just paint over original hk HE finish

lets just say i kick this around and wanna do it my self which is almost out of the question but iam curious

We blast, parkerize, and use KG 2400S. The gloss has a cheesey look to it so we stick with the satin as you can control the final finish with how you shoot it. Got any trade fodder? We can do it for you in trade.

i dont think i have any thing to trade you to be honest, all i have are hk's and 2 of them are "exotic" so i have no parts no bullets nothing worth what you would want.

you say the gloss black looks ?? gay or unnatural

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want a finish to "match" the SOCOM/Mk23 as close as possible, then get with these folks:

At one time, and I am not sure this is still true, they did ALL of HK USA's refinishing work. (i.e. - if you sent in a Mk23 or other pistol to HK USA for a rebuild or refinishing...they in turn sent it to ARS who handled the refinishing work). At a minimum, they'll answer questions you might have as to what the best "recreation" of the Mk23 pistol's finish will be for your USP Tactical. </div></div>

Gunplumber does do excellent work. HK used them for long guns at one time. I do not think they used ARS for pistols though.