• We're live!

We've got the homepage updated and subscriptions are now managed through HideTV. If you run into any bugs please contact @alexj-12 or use our contact form for help!

ENTER HIDETV VIEW THREAD

Reloader or Superformance powder for 270

flyrodder

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2011
Minden, NV
Greetings:

I'm reloading for three 270s - a Remington 700 w/ 24" barrel and 2 Savage Axis (Axes?) with 22" barrels. These are deer rifles for my wife and sons, and I am using Sierra 110-grain Pro-Hunters to get flat trajectories for maximum PBR - makes it easier for them to not have to worry about holdover (and, yes, these bullets work just fine on mule deer - my wife shot one through the heart at 295 yards last weekend - through and through, dropped instantly). The 700 and one Savage like 54.5 grains of Varget, and the other Savage likes almost everything, but 54.0 grains gives me the same velocity as the 54.5 grains do in the other two rifles, so the ballistics are all the same (3,395 fps). (I'm using Varget in an attempt to keep my powder inventory simple).

All three rifles show some primer flattening and firing pin cratering, but no other apparent pressure signs, and these loads are below the maximum in my manual. Now - my questions:

1) Should I be worried about the primer signs? Again, no other apparent issues - no stiff bolt, no extractor marks, nothing.

2) Are there better powders for 110 to 130-grain bullets that will give me equal or higher velocities? Has anyone tried Reloader 17 or 22 or Superformance?

Thank you!

Re: Reloader or Superformance powder for 270

In looking at my Sierra #5 manual in .270 Winchester, Sierra lists Varget with their 110 Gr. #1810 bullet. They list 49.4 Grs. of Varget as a maximum load @ 3200 F.P.S. Sierra lists 5 other powders that you can squeeze another 100 F.P.S at maximum charges.

The Hodgdon reloading web site doesn't have the 110 Gr. #1810 Sierra bullet listed for the .270 Winchester, but they have the Hornady 110 Gr. Hornady H.P. They list a maximum of 48.7 Grs. of Varget @ 3248 F.P.S.

Just looking at these two sources indicate to me you're much too high on the powder charges. I would expect pressure signs. Where did you get the reloading data for 54 Grs. of Varget?

You are reloading for the .270 Winchester, not the 270 Winchester Short Magnum? You didn't specify in your original post. I did assume 270 Winchester.

I have been reloading for the .270 Winchester since the early 1970's.

I am getting my loads from my Speer manual - I don't recall the edition. I don't have it in front of me, but I know it shows at least 55.0 grains as the Varget maximum. Granted, they don't show the Sierra 110-grain bullet. It is interesting to see how different loads are depending on the source of the information. Using that manual I have stayed within recommended limits and had pressure signs in my .30-06, too, so maybe they run a little hot. And, yes, I am loading for the 270 Winchester.

Thank you for your input. I will see if I can take advantage of RL 17 or Superformance or perhaps one of Alliant's other new powders to see if I can keep velocities up without any pressure problems.

I checked my Speer #14 manual and they do show Varget with their 100 Gr. hollow point that maxes out at 55 grains @ 3436 F.P.S..

I checked my Hornady # 8 (newest manual). They have data for their 110 gr. V Max and H.P. They max out Varget at 52.3 Gr. @ 3300 F.P.S. Unfortunately, they do not have Re-17 or Superformance listed. All of their listed powder loads max out @ 3300 F.P.S. for the 110 Gr. bullet.

Thank you. Sounds like my manual might be a bit agressive, so the primer signs would be reasonable.

Worst case I'll back off a little, but I'll also try some of these newer powders to see how they work. Alliant thinks RL 17 will offer more velocity than Varget, and I am curious about the Superformance hype. I'll also look at 130-grain bullets to see if I can take advantage of their improved ballistic coefficients.

Sure is hard to leave well enough alone sometimes!

I used 110gr vamx / 110gr TSX in my 270 win using 57grs of RL-17. Never got around to check speed, but shot 1/2" groups with both and hit same POI. H4350 around 57-58 grs works too.

110gr TSX RL-17

DSCF3282.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyrodder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Greetings:

I'm reloading for three 270s - a Remington 700 w/ 24" barrel and 2 Savage Axis (Axes?) with 22" barrels. These are deer rifles for my wife and sons, and I am using Sierra 110-grain Pro-Hunters to get flat trajectories for maximum PBR - makes it easier for them to not have to worry about holdover (and, yes, these bullets work just fine on mule deer - my wife shot one through the heart at 295 yards last weekend - through and through, dropped instantly). The 700 and one Savage like 54.5 grains of Varget, and the other Savage likes almost everything, but 54.0 grains gives me the same velocity as the 54.5 grains do in the other two rifles, so the ballistics are all the same (3,395 fps). (I'm using Varget in an attempt to keep my powder inventory simple).

All three rifles show some primer flattening and firing pin cratering, but no other apparent pressure signs, and these loads are below the maximum in my manual. Now - my questions:

1) Should I be worried about the primer signs? Again, no other apparent issues - no stiff bolt, no extractor marks, nothing.

2) Are there better powders for 110 to 130-grain bullets that will give me equal or higher velocities? Has anyone tried Reloader 17 or 22 or Superformance?

Thank you!</div></div>

I used Rl19 and Rl22 with 110gr vmax and 130gr BT. I was using 52gr to get 3100fs with 130gr. Don't know v for 110gr.

I use RL17 in my 308 for heavy bullets (200gr), I would have thought that it will not give any real benefits over 19/22.