• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Reloading 50 BMG/dealing with the crimp

roaring80sgun

Private
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2018
Saint Louis, MO
Hello all! My goal is to create very accurate 50 BMG loads that will shoot great out of a bolt action Barrett M99 32”. First off, I’ve made some progress with getting all the components I need and with using a friend’s RCBS press. I have Hodgdon 50BMG powder and Hornady 750 gr Amax bullets. My main dilemma right now is finding the right tool that consistently removes the primer pocket crimp and makes the primer pocket ready for a new primer to easily go in. I found this Dillon swager tool and it also offers an add-on primer push option. https://www.dillonprecision.com/50-bmg-primer-pocket-swager_8_8_26192.html

I liked to know your thoughts on the above tool and I’d also like to know if any of you have any good load recipes using Hodgdon 50 BMG and Hornady Amax 750 gr bullets. Also, please message me if you are located anywhere near St. Louis, MO. It would be great to connect locally with someone who loads this round. Thanks in advance for reading this post and for anyone’s thoughts!

This is the tool I use. Removes the crimps in seconds. I then put a small 45 deg. chamfer on the pocket to aid the new primer in. I'm using CCI #35 primers.

http://kmshooting.com/primer-pocket-correction-tool-50-bmg.html

Here's how they come out. Not the greatest pic.....sorry.
IMG_20181211_134814616.jpg

Todd

Last edited:
This is the tool I use. Removes the crimps in seconds. I then put a small 45 deg. chamfer on the pocket to aid the new primer in. I'm using CCI #35 primers.

http://kmshooting.com/primer-pocket-correction-tool-50-bmg.html

Here's how they come out. Not the greatest pic.....sorry.
View attachment 6984375

Todd

Todd,

Thank you for the reply! So the KM tool works very good for you? Also, I’d like to know more about your 45 degree chamfer process. I’d like to see specifically how you’re doing that. If you’re good with it, I’ll message you my contact info and hopefully you have a few minutes to connect. Thanks again! - Joe

Hello all! My goal is to create very accurate 50 BMG loads that will shoot great out of a bolt action Barrett M99 32”. First off, I’ve made some progress with getting all the components I need and with using a friend’s RCBS press. I have Hodgdon 50BMG powder and Hornady 750 gr Amax bullets. My main dilemma right now is finding the right tool that consistently removes the primer pocket crimp and makes the primer pocket ready for a new primer to easily go in. I found this Dillon swager tool and it also offers an add-on primer push option. https://www.dillonprecision.com/50-bmg-primer-pocket-swager_8_8_26192.html

I liked to know your thoughts on the above tool and I’d also like to know if any of you have any good load recipes using Hodgdon 50 BMG and Hornady Amax 750 gr bullets. Also, please message me if you are located anywhere near St. Louis, MO. It would be great to connect locally with someone who loads this round. Thanks in advance for reading this post and for anyone’s thoughts!
I will be interested in your progress for the Barrett 99 as I just ordered it today! Ive been reloading for some time but …..this is new trails for me.

I d like to view and ask a question or two along the way if its ok with you.

cu,
pb

In my experience the most complete and nicest looking crimp removal is done by the LE Wilson Reamer. Cuts the crimp out completely, leaves a nice rounded taper for easy primer insertion and doesn't scar up the pocket walls. Needs to be used with the BMG case tools, cannot be used freehand successfully. Alternately I have had good luck using a chamfer tool and the CH4D primer pocket swager. The chamfer tool is used to cut a portion of the pocket away before using the swager so that the bulge raised around the pocket is minimal. Otherwise the bulge can mess with your cartridge headspace for the first firing.

Do you have a brass source for the .50bmg you can share?

I don't load the 50 BMG but I have loaded a lot of calibers with crimped primers. I've used the Dillon Swadge, the RCBS tool, the Wilson tool and they all work on some crimps and not so well on others. I keep going back to a cordless drill and a carbide countersink. I guess you could set this up in a drill press and set the adjustable stop but I just free hand it. It should work ok on the 50 BMG.

I too am looking to get started with the Barrett mdl 99 .50 .The twist I understand is 1:15 That should outline the best bullet to use for it. Someplace I have the calculations to do that.

I will be interested in your progress for the Barrett 99 as I just ordered it today! Ive been reloading for some time but …..this is new trails for me.

I d like to view and ask a question or two along the way if its ok with you.

cu,
pb
Hello,

i missed some of the posts from this thread over a year ago. Let me know if you still want info or assistance with loads for your M99.

I too am looking to get started with the Barrett mdl 99 .50 .The twist I understand is 1:15 That should outline the best bullet to use for it. Someplace I have the calculations to do that.
It’s been some time since the last post to this thread. Let me know if you came up with a good load for your M99 or if you need some suggestions. I’ve had success with 770 and 802 gr bullets with mine.

It’s been some time since the last post to this thread. Let me know if you came up with a good load for your M99 or if you need some suggestions. I’ve had success with 770 and 802 gr bullets with mine.
That sounds great. Who manufactures them?
Ive been healing up as I was in a tractor accident on the farm.I was towing and I was hit in the forehead with the tow hook.

I have not used any new loads.