• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Reloading dies for .222 Remington...do i need both full sizing die set as well as bump neck dies? preferred brand?

want2learn

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2013
Hi, i need .222 Remington reloading dies. Is it preferred that one purchase a full set of full length dies in addition to a bump neck die?

My understanding is that one uses full length sizing on new brass or on brass that's been used a bunch of times..and in the intervening periods one just uses a bump neck die to minimize undo wear on the brass...is that correct?

I'd appreciate any recommendations and clarification. Also any preferred brands?

I have a Forster Co-Ax reloading press. I hope to do bench rest type shooting/paper targets.

thank you

If this is for a bolt action, I would FL size every time and bump the shoulder .0015-.002. I would get the FL sizing die, which will also bump the shoulder. I prefer Redding sizing dies and Forster Benchrest or Ultra Micrometer Seating Dies.

Watch this to understand why you should FL size every time :

I would recommend you purchase the book Top Grade Ammo by Glen Zediker prior to spending any money on equipment.

I would suggest that you full length size. Any major company fl size will do the trick. It doesnt need to match the seater die. I'd highly recommend forster fl size die and the micrometer seater.

Reactions: Codiekfx400
thanks...
yes it's for a bolt action single shot varmint rifle, it's called the Savage 112V
i figured it would be a good way to work on the fundamentals, really learn good technique and not punish me with recoil

I shoot 222 besides no recoil its quiet-er, like @RackOpsTactical stated just get a good full length die set.
For a single shot bolt gun I would push the shoulder back .001.

On a side note just be aware that many .222 rifles have a slow barrel twist and will not stabilize heavier boat tail bullets.

You really can't go wrong with any of the major die choices. I've made some really good ammo just using the standard RCBS 2 die set. I've slowly started buying Redding dies but I really can't tell any difference with my group size. If its offered I would look at the Redding Pro Hunter set. Its a full length sizer combined with their competition seater.

Everyone has their favorites. You will get lots of advice and opinions!

I too shoot a 222 that my Uncle left me. It is a Sako action from Hunter's lodge, not sure on the barrel, have to dig it out and look at it, but shoots great. A tack driver.
I know the barrel is a slower twist than what most would think correct today but it is what the Old Farts used back then.
I shoot 50 grn. bullets a little but have gone over to 55 grn and it shoots them just as well.
Unc was stuck on using BLC/2 and I think he was right but IMR4895 works good too if not better. YMMV
I use a standard 2 die Redding set and they make rounds more accurate than me.
I would not overthink this one too much. You are shooting a Fossil after all, but an accurate round as well. FM