reloading for the hk91 rifles

black_ump

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2007
erie,pa 16334
befor i get into this i understand the weapon destroys the brass and that the flutes in the chamber also indent the brass making reloading the brass impossible.

moving on does any one no the max coal that will function in the magazines ?

any one have any load date for a 26" 1:11 twist barrel that will work in a semi auto ?

Re: reloading for the hk91 rifles

I would just load for the 91 as if you were loading for the M1a; lots of headspace, minimum SAAMI OAL at 2.800". The 91 is a battle rifle, meant for just throwing metal downrange in a general direction reliably. It may hit the target with decent precision, but it is far from a precision rifle. Just make sure you use throw away brass, as a ton of it will look like it was run over by a tank after firing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">befor i get into this i understand the weapon destroys the brass and that the flutes in the chamber also indent the brass making reloading the brass impossible.

moving on does any one no the max coal that will function in the magazines ?

any one have any load date for a 26" 1:11 twist barrel that will work in a semi auto ? </div></div>

I've reloaded for years, for my HK-91 with no problems.

I don't know my max mag length for my steel and aluminum German HK mags, but if you have them, you should be able to figure this out.

Load any bullet from 147 up to 180s, I'd imagine, maybe even 190s. What works out best for you is dependent on your 26" 1:11" tube. My barrel is only 17.71" and about a 2-4" weapon, but I haven't shot too many target grade rounds out of it.

Chris

excuse me guys, but why not reloading brass fired from hk
roller lockers ???
the "dents" made by the fluted chamber are negligible and the neck can be straigtened carefully with some pliers before run through the die.
i had no problems so far with this.
here one load that i use :
150gr sierra match king behind 40,5gr of kemira N135. OAL=71.1mm
it should give a group of 40mm at 100m.

yes black_ump, it´s always wise to use the best at hand for match purposes, true !
but to be honest, unless you´re sporting a PSG-1, the brass doesn´t really matter.
i´ve nearly tried everything, but still can´t get that 1 moa
accuracy.
now i´m going with IMR 4198, let´s wait and see.

not sure if this matters but my hk rifle is using a 26" .920 barrel, when i was shooting it with the the 9 lb g3 trigger i was almost at moa with federal 150 hunting ammo i would say my group was like 1.2 -1.7 i was frustrated with that so i sold the trigger unit and saved and saved and 2 days ago ordered the msg90 unit.. so i will wait and see how this turns out as well as try loads from 150 grain up to 190, surely i can produce somthing under m0a, my biggest problem is i have a 10x scope so a 1x1x1x1 squair is pretty hard to see at 100yds i should have got the 4-14 menace instead
frown.gif

ok, if you have a long barreled one, similar to the PSG-1, it
should be possible to shoot sub-moa groups.
mine is a standard 450mm barrel (17" approx.) with standard
grooves and lands configuration and 1-13" twist.
when i made my own flash hider, groups got way better, about the same as you described, equals 1.2-1.7 moa.
the trigger, well it´s obviously made for careless recruits !
but the PSG-1 trigger group with it´s 1500grams is objected by the authorities in germany where i´m currently living.
as a scope i use the original 4x24 hensoldt w. the original mount.

for optics iam using a falcon menace 10x sitting on arms #36 mount and rings, 2 1913 tabs are welded to the top of the receiver, i was going to do iron sights but ended up going aginst it mainly cause of all the extra work to add an iron sight to the front of the cocking tube.

i have also done subsonic loading with 7-13 grs of clays powder and magnum primers with vary good results

going to try 175- 190's when i get my msg90 lower in the mail and see what i come up with i suppose

You can definitely use brass that has been fired out of the 91 if it is salvageable. However, I would start with expendable brass (not Lapua), as it is unpredictable as to how much brass will be completely chewed up.

personally ill shoot any brass i can afford, for my "match" loads i think i would prefer new winchester, but would also like to try the surplus lake city that is floating around, but iam hoping i can get good loads with new winchester, its easy to obtain so, thats where iam going to start

winchester is also my favourite, but the thicker military brass
wouldn´t work so well in none of my rifles.
even though winchester military brass worked best again.

be cautious using heavier than standard 147 gr. bullets without matching up with the proper locking piece to insure you have the correct timming of the unlocking mechanism. You can damage the gun. Check www.hkpro.com for some suggestions. Most especially true if you shoot the 93. The 91 standard locking piece angles are pretty forgicing up to about 165 gr or so. Different locking piec angles for different classes of loadings. You might not notice damage but it is happening. just be careful and do a little research. Also make sure you check your headspace/bolt gap if you change the locking piece. have some extra + and - rollers on hand and periodically check. If you notice harsher than normal recoil, your locking piece or rollrs may be worn. Look for a gap of .018 ideal, and accuracy and general shootability will be improved. These are complicated little systems and while rugged and utterly reliable, they need maintenance and tuning too....

hey now that is somthing worth thinking about, i was thinking so technical that i over looked the simple locking piece and rollers, i wonder what locking piece i would need for 165 grain bullets and up ?

you need nothing black_ump,
just shoot that rifle and don`t worry too much.
if you really want to do maintenance, just look after the gap between the head and the breech body carrying the bolt head.
it should be 1,0mm max and 0,5mm min.
if you feel harsher recoil you should worry more about your buffer.
another weak point is the cocking handle, but more likely to happen with licence built clones.
the assumption that "...You might not notice damage but it is happening..." is to my experience not true.
and i at least own that gun for 13 years now and served that rifle in the army.
you will rather discover that it gets harder to open by the cocking handle shootout after shootout, due to the aforementioned deficiencies.
but even then, drop in the next size rollers and a new locking piece.
anyway, my shoots best with 150gr bullets due to 1-13" twist.

but even though i don`t want to turn down anybody,
good point by 2ndPanzer.
i`ll check mine the next time !

The 91 is very hard on brass, but it is reloadable. I have the HK rubber bumper installed on my 91. It snaps over the bolt carrier tube just like the carry handle. The ejected brass hits the rubber bumper and does not get bent as it does without the bumper. I don't know if this bumper is still available. I bought mine in 1982. Good Luck with your HK91. If it is anything like mine, it will never let you down.

iam aware of the buffer but i cannot use it as i have a forword assist on the side of mine, it acts like a brass deflecter, how ever since i had it welded on i havent shot it.

i went out today looking for 175 gr matchkings but nothing, how do you feel about the m118 175 bullet for my application ?

oh i also have 110 siarra hp's any one use these and if so did you get any luck ?

black_ump,
i´ve used the 125gr nosler ballistic tip together w. 44gr of IMR 3031, OAL=72,05mm.
not quite MOA group, but almost !
i´d rather say it will work better with lighter bullets then with heavy ones.
all heavy loads gave about 3 MOA groups in my rifle, so that i would save the good and pricy M118 bullets for some M40 type application, for example.