• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Reloading Perfecta brass?

6.5steve

Private
Minuteman
May 24, 2021
Utah
Hello everyone, does any of y’all reloading Perfecta brass? I'm specifically looking at 308.

I've got "good" brass for target work but for short range drills I've been buying a lot of Tula ammo (and it works fine) but I'll pay the extra dollar or two a box for Perfecta if the brass is any account.

Most everyone around here is going to turn their noses up at anything that’s not Alpha, Lapua, or Peterson brass. Everything else is, apparently, hot garbage. What do I know? I reload Hornady… Gasp!

That said, if it’s brass cased and boxer primed, and the alternative is brooming it into the brass bucket at the range, you don’t have much to lose in reloading it for “training ammo.” Regardless of what others say about it.

I took this picture of the shitty flash holes in Perfecta 5.56mm brass. I can't imagine they do anything for precision or consistency.

There are two generic Federal cases there for comparison.

bI52hKGl.jpg

Someone else's photo:

full-55403-350795-dscn3060_small.jpg

Last edited:
Hello everyone, does any of y’all reloading Perfecta brass? I'm specifically looking at 308.

I've got "good" brass for target work but for short range drills I've been buying a lot of Tula ammo (and it works fine) but I'll pay the extra dollar or two a box for Perfecta if the brass is any account.
I've got 72 pieces that I picked up as range brass and fired them twice. . . a few years ago. So, they're 3x fired. They were fully prepped where everything was uniformed, including turning the necks. I fully prepped them as an experiment to see how they'd perform relative to good brass. They did pretty well, actually, though still not as good as top tier brass.

You're welcome to have them for nothing other than shipping costs. I have so much brass, they're doing nothing more for me than just taking up shelf space.

I have used the .308 Perfecta brass in the past . It was 1x fired when given to me. I annealed it and prepped it just like I do all my other brass . It was fine , not top shelf stuff but I knew that going in . I have used it with cast bullets and jacketed and the necks held up to the extra work of shooting cast with no problem .

Depends on what your expectations are and where you're going to use it. I have used .223 for range food and some .308 for playing with sub loads.
Should you shoot it in a match? No
Load development? Probably not
It is fine for punching holes in paper for some range fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: sinister
Mine are from range brass that I fired 2x times for a total firing of 3x. The loads I used in them were not hot. . . like 41.0 grs. Varget. All flash holes are centered and the primer cups are not loose (not really tight either). Checking for any body stretching for any indication of case head separation show no signs. Currently they've been full length sized for the first time as before I had only neck sized them. The brass does seem to be a little softer than what I see in Lapua and Peterson brass.

Here's a pic of what I've got:
Perfecta Brass.jpg