Reloading precision .223 for the first time. Help if you can...

KCode

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2019
Not sure if this is the right section but I want to start reloading .223 for precision shooting. Nothing crazy but I want to get as good of groups as I can.

I'm not new to reloading .223 but I have always just done it for plinking ammo because I have a lot of old Wolf 55gr bullets (wish I had bought double the amount).

Anyways how should I start? I have nothing but range brass so I would think I should start with new brass? Is there a specific brand that is better than others that can commonly be found? I have a good bit of Sierra 77gr MK I will be using. Other than that it's a blank slate...

You might be interested to scroll through Johnny's Reloading Bench on YouTube. He has a series on cloning mk262 and accurizing a 223 load.

I've been having good luck with PMC range brass, 77gr SMK, VV N140.

I bump the shoulder back .004" from fired and seat the bullet .02" off of jam. It's been getting me ~3/4 MOA out of a 18" AR on average if I can do my part.

Agree, I've heard of good results from Lake City, too. The big thing is consistency. You want brass with little variation in volume, thickness, and neck tension between each piece. If you can find that in whatever range brass you're using, there's no need to break the bank on something like Lapua.

If you do end up wanting to buy new, Starline is popular. I've heard it compared on par with Alpha or Peterson for about 1/3 the cost.

The only brass I personally haven't had much luck with so far is Hornady. It seems soft, stretches quick, and has wide variations in weight and thickness. Groups seem to widen out and it wears out pretty fast.

Last edited:
I collected a couple ammo cans worth of brass and separated out the LC brass to reload for Quantified Performance matches. Seemed to do OK, but I'm by no means a good shot or an experienced reloader

Reloaded with either 69 or 77fr Sierra Match OTMs

M

You'd be surprised how consistent Lake City 5.56 brass is - for the money. I used to load it in a .223 bolt rifle that averaged a half-minute.
Yes. That's what I use. Buying nice Lapua is fine, but it gets lost too easily. Hard to screw up a SMK. But finding the right powder/primer combo that gives it a little more consistency is good.

We love Wolf SRMs and H322 or 8208. But there's a ton of combos that will work.

Reactions: Jsp556
Short range, LC once fired brass, powder and primer of choice and Berger 55gr bullets. Varget is a good choice.

Mid range, substitute the Berger with the 68gr Sierra. Varget or N140 works well for me.

Long range, ELD-M 75gr or 80gr depending on barrel twist. Or Berger 75gr or 80.5gr. Try a slower ballpowder where you can fit around 25 to 26gr into the case without compressing the powder.

Not sure if this is the right section but I want to start reloading .223 for precision shooting. Nothing crazy but I want to get as good of groups as I can.

I'm not new to reloading .223 but I have always just done it for plinking ammo because I have a lot of old Wolf 55gr bullets (wish I had bought double the amount).

Anyways how should I start? I have nothing but range brass so I would think I should start with new brass? Is there a specific brand that is better than others that can commonly be found? I have a good bit of Sierra 77gr MK I will be using. Other than that it's a blank slate...

Starline 5.56 brass is incredible brass for the money. I like it better than LC. Their 300 BLK, 308 WIN, and 6.5CM brass has also been excellent.

Mandrel neck sizing has helped my reloading consistency.

I have some powder preferences but if you have been reloading you probably already have something in mind.

How far away are you shooting and for what purpose?

LC or Lapua brass
77 SMK of Hornady 75 HPBT
Pick your small primer. Fed GMM has been most consistent for my rifles, but CCI 41, Rem 7.5, CCI400 have all worked well.
23.2-23.6 XBR 8208

Should group well if you barrel is good and you are a good shooter.

Reactions: ma smith
This is the best I can get shooting the Berger 75gr VLD out of Lapua brass
Screenshot_20240803_061628.jpg

This is from LC brass also Berger 75gr VLD
Screenshot_20240803_061652.jpg

I've had very good results with BLC-2 and H110 (yea I know, mag pistol powder but it runs fantastic in a 223).
IMR4227 is another good one to consider.
Note, these powders are usually available unlike most these days.

I'm a fan of PMC brass too.....it's good stuff.
LC or Federal marked are good....but I hate reaming primer pocket crimps if I don't have to......what, no one else mentioned that ?

I have a shit ton of older Nosler stuff that's no longer available so I don't have any further bullet suggestions beyond what has already been shown.
I can run Berger 80's in my chamber but you probably can't.