• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rem 40X barrel questions

Stinger68

Private
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2009
Maryland, USA
I got one of the CMP 40X's and had a couple questions:

1) Does anyone know the twist rate of the barrel? Does cutting it down to a particular length degrade anything in the way of performance or accuracy?

2) I would like to have the barrel cut down from the current length of 27" to something a bit more manageable like 20" and recrowned, threaded and a thread protector made for it. Anything I should ask for from the gunsmith as far as recrowning specifications?

3) Does anyone have a recommended smith for this type of work?

4) How easy or hard is it to remove the barrel if I need to ship it out?

Thanks for the help guys!

-Will

Re: Rem 40X barrel questions

The barrel is tapped for sights and if you remove the barrel there is a good chance that you will have off set holes on your barrel. My suggestion would be to send the barreled action out Douglas and have them put a new barrel on. Chances are that you would have a more accurate barrel that you can properly break in. The round count and type of ammo used on your 40x is unknown so with a new barrel you could properly break it in. If you still want match sights then any gunsmith can drill and tap your barrel for this. Also, Douglas may have this service offered. If you are active Military then Douglas gives you a break on their services.
Semper Fi

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BEAR TACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The barrel is tapped for sights and if you remove the barrel there is a good chance that you will have off set holes on your barrel. My suggestion would be to send the barreled action out Douglas and have them put a new barrel on. Chances are that you would have a more accurate barrel that you can properly break in. The round count and type of ammo used on your 40x is unknown so with a new barrel you could properly break it in. If you still want match sights then any gunsmith can drill and tap your barrel for this. Also, Douglas may have this service offered. If you are active Military then Douglas gives you a break on their services.
Semper Fi </div></div>

The barrel that comes on the 40x is pretty damn good as is. If you barrel is pitted or has been damaged by some tard trying to clean it, then I could see spending the cash to change it out. I seriously doubt it is shot out. I am no expert by any means, infact I dont know shit but I have read and have been told that .22 barrels last a long freaking time! If you dont care about the resale value than just cut the original.

I got one from CMP that looked like the person cleaned it with a jointed rod, both the throat AND the muzzle was worn smooth.
According to the bore scope, the center of the bore is fairly good
If you have the equipment it would be worthwhile to just cut 2" off the muzzle and set the Bbl back 2", leaving a 24" Bbl.
If you have to take it somewhere, it would be about $100 more to get a top of the line Bbl put on.
JMHO
Borg
ETA Just re-read the OP, if your Bbl is 27", it's already been cut off and/or set back. If that has been done, just replace the Bbl as you don't know the condition of the rest of the bore.

hey whiskey,
just a thought. buy one of the barreled recievers and have that cut down and threaded and keep your barrel or vice versa. I wanna to the same thing but don't want to destroy my original barrel. and you get a couple spare parts
dgwelsh

I had mine cut back to 21" and recrowned.. accuracy is still excellent..

40X22LR120508.jpg

cost me approx. $200 including Duracoat..

RJ

Will,

Clay Spencer built my AICS trainer out of a 40x .22lr--its a laser. He put a new barrel, threaded, and bedded the AICS. It is weighed and balanced just like my AE 308. He works just south of Charlottesville.

That cost more than RJs $200 job, but I saw too many cleaning marks around the crown to be comfortable.

Steve

Last year I had Gemtech cut mine down to 20" and thread it 1/2x28 for me. They post their prices online, it wasn't very expensive.

Later (very recently in fact), I bought another 40X in this last CMP sale round so I wouldn't feel bad for having desecrated one.
smile.gif