• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Rem 700 bolt deformation

frank505

Private
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
My 700 308 has some deformation at the base of the bolt handle where it contacts the receiver bridge on the upstroke. I have never seen this on a Rem before, makes me wonder what is gonna happen in the next pile of rounds. The gun has several thousand rounds through it with some rapid bolt work.

Re: Rem 700 bolt deformation

If i'm reading what your saying right, I think its doing the same thing as mine. At to wether or not to worry about it, I'm not, WHEN the bolt handle falls off, I'll have it welded back into the RIGHT place buy one of the competent smiths on here.

Welcome to the hide.

Re: Rem 700 bolt deformation

Not a problem. Happens to one degree or another on all of them. The two surfaces usually don't mate up or there is very little contact area and the bolt handle catches the worst end of the deal. The worst thing that could happen is you lose most of the extraction that's built into the process of opening the bolt and it will be difficult to get cases out of the chamber.