Rem 700 build in 338 lapua?

jagerMR

Private
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2019
Hello everyone, just to preface, first post on SH. Looked around a bit and didnt see any threads on this question. I have a late model 700 la receiver and thought about possibly doing a build in 338 lapua. I understand it might not be the best candidate due to only being double lugged bolt, but are there any other considerations I should check in regards to safety?
Again, I apologize if this isnt the correct category for this post. Thanks in advance!

Its not the double lugs that people dont like, its the small/thin receiver that gives people concern. The amount of material present to handle that big boom.

Also, what late model long action 700 do you have with a lapua mag bolt face? A 300 win mag has a .540" diameter bolt face, lapua mag requires .585"

Seems like just buying a proper action would be a better use of funds instead of having to alter your current action to make it work.
1571864632009.png

Reactions: IowaGeologist
You can buy a RPR in 338 LM cheaper than you can build off of what you have. Not an engineer so I can’t speak to the the safety. Just an FYI, hope this helps.

Remington sold a 338L 700 at one point, and GA Precision built me a 338L Remington 700, a bit b4 Remington offered a lapua bolt face. And, it's worked just fine for the last 10 years or so.
Its doable. There have been many discussions on this, with half the world thinking it's ok and half thinking it's a boom waiting to happen.
Most now, dont recommend it. It is definitely known, there are stronger actions out there better suited to handling a over pressure load, so, in the end, if you can find a willing gunsmith, it's up to you .
RPR is cheaper as someone said above, and works extremely well. I have experience with both the 700 and RPR, and RPR is nice.

Thanks all. No bolt has been acquired yet. I was thinking of getting a PGT one piece bolt for this unit, have one on a 300wm build in a Rem700 and seems to work well. Also affords the ability to fit the lugs to the receiver and check that receiver for true. ITs one of the new production runs that got that dot matrix stamp for cool factor :)

338 because im running a 300wm, would love to go bmg just for the S&Js, but i think 338 would be the much more usable cal in my area, PNW

Also, on the over pressuring topic, I ask because im unfamiliar with 338lm, can a guy achive that 2800-3000 range without over pressuring?

Im familiar with the issues that the old 95 and 93 mausers had, when they went to rechamber a lot in 308. But i thought that the barrel was the weak spot in that case, and the addition of the vent hole drilled in the receiver. Well, that using high pressure rounds, to much for old steel

Barrel length and powder burn rates affect pressure, so your barrel length will matter, otherwise, in 26" or shorter barrels, 2800 with a 300 grain bullet is already into pressure.... and very questionable you will get 2850 without blowing primers or something more important.

If 2800-3000 with heavy bullets is your goal in 338L, the Remington 700 is not recommended by any of the gunsmiths I know that have built 338L on a 700.

If it's a hunting rifle with a 225 grain bullet, and the right combination slow burn powder, 3000 is safe. If a target rifle, 2900 with a 250 and the right powder, you can find a safe combination, but, you can also find a fast peak high pressure load that isnt safe very quickly. One mistake can cost you an eye, it's not worth it.

I will reiterate, if 2800-3000 is your goal, there are much better and stronger choices to build a 338L on than the 700.

As I said in my first post, I have one in a 700. My second one was built on a much stronger action because, 10 years ago, the big name gunsmiths were afraid of 700's with high pressure loads.

Remington quit building them on the 700 for liability reasons. That should be sufficient information to point you to a stronger action and help you decide a different course.

Best to you, vr.

Reactions: DPuck