Gunsmithing Rem 700 firing pin/reset issue

PaganSnake

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2018
Afternoon forum - I’ve got a rem 700 with Timney 512. At a PRS competition this weekend, first stage, I exjected my first round and the firing pin did not reset when I chambered a new round. I ended up having to strip off 5ish rounds before it would reset. Then it was finicky all day and would not reset consistently. It even sent one for me when I closed the bolt once. Looking for solution suggestions. Not sure where to start.

The action has around 3k rounds on it, the trigger has been on for about 1.3k.

Probaly some dirt in the cocking piece or stuff in the bolt body hanging up the pin.
When was the last time you cleaned the bolt body and cleaned the pin.
Sounds like sear problem.
Or the trigger sear is hanging up may have dirt in trigger body.
just my guesses.
Let us know what you find out.

Reactions: PaganSnake
If you have an adjustable sear overlap trigger (Jewel, Timney, etc) consider backing off the overlap adjustment an 1/8-1/4 turn. They don't always stay put. Hobby shops for RC airplanes sell CA (super glue) in various viscountcies. Mediuam or thick CA applied with a tooth pick will hold that screw really well. So does a dot of clear nail polish.

Assuming you didn't have an issue with debris, this is also a good check.

One other thing:

Occasionally the side plates on a trigger will get "squished" together just enough to hang up the transfer bar attempting to reset. Using a small punch and pushing the two apart at the the top where the cocking piece interacts with the trigger has also proven helpful at times.

Good luck.

C.

I,ve had Timney triggers do this as well.

If youve adjusted the sear engagement to minimize the trigger travel distance and have it too short, and/or have the trigger weight screw adjusted to a setting that is too light, this can occur.

I think the sear engagement screw is what Longrifles Inc. Is referring to as overlap. The rear screw:

Try adjusting it to allow more sear engagement, and adjust the weight up to at least 1.5 lbs. (Timney recommends at least 1.5 to prevent this issue) then locktite the screw real good.

It kinda sucks having more sear engagement and more weight, as youll have more trigger movement before striker release, but itll be safer.

Last edited:
Wilson? This is James from your squad if so, I felt your pain while watching you strip rounds out trying to get it to catch. Looks like these guys have you on the right track with the sear engagement though.

Heres Timneys instructions on setting it
  • Put the rifle in a vise, I would recommend a cloth or towel to avoid scratching the blue on your barrel.
  • Remove the stock by loosening the screws on the trigger guard and front of the ammo trap.
  • Put the rifle on safe.
  • The screw on the back of the trigger is your sear engagement. You will need to loosen the nut holding the adjustment screw in place. Using an Allen or Hex wrench you will turn the sear engagement screw clockwise until it stops. This screw will tighten until it hits the safety. Once you have firm contact you will need to turn the screw about one flat counter-clockwise to allow the safety to work. It’s a fine line between the proper sear engagement, the safety moving properly and a creepy trigger. You want to be able to move the safety (watch the detent moving in and out) and still have a crisp trigger.
  • Once the safety/sear engagement is set you can adjust the poundage screw on the front of the trigger, it’s the one with the nut. Loosen the nut so you can move the set screw. It’s very important to have spring pressure on the trigger, with out it the trigger will not return to the ready position. This means the trigger and sear don’t align properly and the trigger will not hold the sear in place when cocking the bolt. The outcome of the trigger not holding the sear is the firing pin will drop as soon as you close the bolt. We recommend 3lbs on the trigger but it will go down as low as 1.5 lbs normally. In order to get to 1.5lbs of trigger pull you must have the sear engagement properly set and still maintain spring pressure on the trigger.

Update - Spent about 45 minutes playing with the trigger pull weight and the over travel screw. With the BA out of the chassis, I can still get it to slam fire if I really ram it in. But in the chassis I've not been able to get it to slam fire with the current setting. Thinking this has resolved the issue.

I'm ashamed to say I did not have a trigger pull gauge when I set the trigger originally, so it may have been lighter than I expected, however I had not re-adjusted the trigger at all since installation and this was the first time this issue arose (after 1300 rounds). I'm thinking, perhaps the trigger weight screw loosened itself up enough to cause this issue over time. It did not come with the locking nut, which I thought was weird, but assumed that maybe they stopped sending them that way.

So, I've ordered a trigger pull gauge and will double down on the pull pressure, then lock tight it once I make sure that its not below 1.5.

Reactions: spife7980
Update - Spent about 45 minutes playing with the trigger pull weight and the over travel screw. With the BA out of the chassis, I can still get it to slam fire if I really ram it in. But in the chassis I've not been able to get it to slam fire with the current setting. Thinking this has resolved the issue.

I'm ashamed to say I did not have a trigger pull gauge when I set the trigger originally, so it may have been lighter than I expected, however I had not re-adjusted the trigger at all since installation and this was the first time this issue arose (after 1300 rounds). I'm thinking, perhaps the trigger weight screw loosened itself up enough to cause this issue over time. It did not come with the locking nut, which I thought was weird, but assumed that maybe they stopped sending them that way.

So, I've ordered a trigger pull gauge and will double down on the pull pressure, then lock tight it once I make sure that its not below 1.5.

Did someone say Timney? We are here to help, sometimes they can come out of adjustment slightly. We pride ourselves in helping, and we offer a lifetime warranty. Let me know if we can help get you figured out!

Did someone say Timney? We are here to help, sometimes they can come out of adjustment slightly. We pride ourselves in helping, and we offer a lifetime warranty. Let me know if we can help get you figured out!

Thank you for the reply! I suspect that the set screw backed itself off a bit with use. I believe I've got it figured out.

Reactions: Timney USA