• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rem 700 Target Tactical VTR with 5R .308

Re: Rem 700 Target Tactical VTR with 5R .308

I'd consider this purely cosmetic. I have not shot one. The bore attributes and chamber are the same and the gross chamfers can't help "maximise accuracy and cooling".

-It's a 22" barreled rifle in .308/.223. The VS contour is already inherently a light contour and recoil is "what it is" per rifle mass (relative to the component barrel) and cartidge load.
If desired, any brake or barrel cut can be applied per rifle. The VTR muzzle brake is integral, fixed, factory, and has zero symmetry per the bore circumferance. You own it.
- The design reduces barrel mass so initial heat-up is greater. Thermally, anything hotter will cool faster in same condition. Consider it was more thermally loaded to begin with, and can't shed applied heat any better. Surface area only applies to cooling fins or sinks. Interior barrel cuts (also including any thin, deep fluting in slightly different mechanism) are of no real thermal or accuracy benefit, just lighter weight.

It's a marketing trick to take same base materials in cosmetic hype and add unnessary sales features that are likely more detriment. I have not shot one so this is pure opinion.

Re: Rem 700 Target Tactical VTR with 5R .308

i have a vtr in 308. shoots fantastic. seems like when i start shooting, the barrel heats to a "sweet spot" and will shoot amazing at that temp. i've had 3 shot groups at sub .5moa. great shooting stick.