• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rem 700p possible AICS upgrade ?

Miked053

Private
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2006
Dallas, TX
Hey guys,
I have been away for a long time on the forums and wanted to start out saying hello again.

I am looking to spend more time shooting this year and wanting to upgrade the 700p a little bit. I was considering upgrading to the AICS but didnt know if that money could be better spent else where (the rifle is basically stock). I know I want to upgrade to a drop mag setup and am having trouble finding the HSP bottom metal, plus for the price they are going for now the AICS would be a better decision. Also, am I looking at any accuracy upgrades straight out of the box with the AICS over the stock HSP stock? Both dont really have any bedding diffrences, so....? Anyway any thoughts or discussions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance ,
Michael

Re: Rem 700p possible AICS upgrade ?

The AICS stock is not for everyone. I have one and it is boxy in my hands. It kind of hurts a little when carrying it for long periods of time. Not due to how much the rifle weighs but because it is boxy. I use the bipod as a forward handle when walking around. One of my shooting friends hates that stock for carrying around but once in position he has nothing bad to say about it.

With that being said I have a 300WM in a McMillian A4 stock. I really like that stock and I had a badger ord bottom metal put into it. I would have been a lot of money ahead if I would have just gotten the AICS stock.

+1 on the AICS not being for everyone. See if you can get with someone local that will let you try out theirs and see how it fits you

I personally do not care for the AICS stock but I know a lot of really good shooters that really like and do well with them. So check it out and see if it is your cup of tea

I have the 700P in AICS.

I thought the AICS was a night and day difference compared to the HS stock. I shoot a lot better with the AICS.

I may be selling my AICS soon, as I am in the process of upgrading my rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: peacemaker.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I may be selling my AICS soon, as I am in the process of upgrading my rifle. </div></div>

Don't suggest that you may sell it with 11 posts on this site, or the mods will kick your ass to Pluto. Just a tip.

I agree , the Viper skins make it a different feeling piece if you don't like the thumbhole . Another perk with the Vipers , is support hand help is very good with the shape of the butt stock

I have an AICS on my 700 and I really like it. I wear an extra large in gloves to and have to make sure that my middle finger it really tucked into the space behind the trigger guard and my hand just fits the grip. I am waiting for Mr. 45 to get his order of black viper skins in and I am buying a set. He will also be making and selling add on items that will make the platform even better. Seeing what he has done so far I believe him. One of the things that I like about the AI is that you can order the stock thumbhole skins or the viper skins if something get totally fubar or broke and have a differnt cammo patern on the skins if you choose.

I would agree that you would be best off holding and firing one in the AI stock before getting one. I personaly don't care for them as far as the way they feel, uncomfortable to me, while shooting. I like my thumb loose, on top of the stock. Really like the McMillian A3-A5, but like the HS precision as well. Prefer the McMillian with adjustable cheak rest. I've tried the AI with my thumb out of the stock but then I'm not able to the enough leverage on the trigger. But personal prefference is the key.

A chassis or properly bedded composite stock is one of the first upgrades to consider. Make sure you research your options before you buy. Kinetic Research Group, AICS, McCree, XLR, Manners, JP, Tac 21, Cadex, etc.... all have chassis systems available for your rifle. Most of them are pretty high quality and will allow you to shoot more comfortably, therefore more accurately. Take a good look at what's available and go from there.

I just finished my Rem 7005R makeover.

Before
Rem700002.jpg

AFTER
Viperskin5R.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GTGunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome looking rig. Who did your Cerakoting?</div></div>
Thanks ~ I did it myself.
Came out really good ~ it was my first time Cerakoting, too.
I used to use Gunkote primarily before trying Cerakote.
The main reason I switched to Cerakote was that I could never get the sheen matte enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Miked053</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys,

I am looking to spend more time shooting this year and wanting to upgrade the 700p a little bit. I was considering upgrading to the AICS but didnt know if that money could be better spent else where (the rifle is basically stock). I know I want to upgrade to a drop mag setup and am having trouble finding the HSP bottom metal, plus for the price they are going for now the AICS would be a better decision. Also, am I looking at any accuracy upgrades straight out of the box with the AICS over the stock HSP stock? Both dont really have any bedding diffrences, so....? Anyway any thoughts or discussions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance ,
Michael </div></div>

Definitely not for everybody, but I love my AICS Stage 2......fits me like a glove. As others have recommended, it would be best if you found someone that had one near where you live to try it out first. It is a wee bit heavier than the HS-P takeoff stock you would be replacing but it all depends what you intend to do with it. For my intended use, it will serve me well. If you plan on carry it in the field you may want to consider something like a Manners or MCM stock with DBM. After much research, that considered costs, features, availability, no need to bed the action, etc, etc, I settled on the AICS over a Manners, McM, or alternative HS-P stocks.

Here is a picture of my R700 Milspec 5R sitting in the AICS before I shipped it to PCR for custom work last week:

Infidel_0058-1.jpg

Infidel_0060-1.jpg

Infidel_0065-1.jpg

Infidel_0066-1.jpg

Gentlemen,
Thank you again for the suggestions. I think you guys are right about finding someone close to me that has the system. Anyone close to the north Dallas, TX area (I am in Lewisville actually)? I think that the AICS would help balance out the weapon. As it sits now with the heavy barrel, the front weight is annoyingly off balance for anything but a prone posision.

Also, I am wanting to put a diffrent knob on the bolt, any suggestions for people in my area that I can trust to do the work?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Miked053</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gentlemen,
Thank you again for the suggestions. I think you guys are right about finding someone close to me that has the system. Anyone close to the north Dallas, TX area (I am in Lewisville actually)? I think that the AICS would help balance out the weapon. As it sits now with the heavy barrel, the front weight is annoyingly off balance for anything but a prone posision.

Also, I am wanting to put a diffrent knob on the bolt, any suggestions for people in my area that I can trust to do the work? </div></div>

Mike:

Ship your bolt to Phoenix Custom Rifles (PCR).......they just had a deal for Hide members the first week of Jan 2012. Normally, the cost is about $95 but Keith at PCR offered us a discount for $65 that includes the PCR bolt knob of your choice installed and the bolt cerakoted. You may want to wait until they announce their next sale. Takes about a week. They have mine along with my rifle for some other work. You can either go to their website or find them here on the Hide under "Gunsmithing". Good luck!