• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

REM R25 .243 TO SHOOT OR NOT

ra10x

Private
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2010
UTAH
jUST GOT A REMINGTON R25 IN .243 IN A TRADE ITS NEW UNFIRED WITH FACTORY MAG AND ONE MAGPULL MAG. I AM TRYING TO DECIDE ON SHOOTING IT OR NOT I WANT A AR-10 TYPE BUT I WANT ONE THAT IS ACCURATE 1/4 M.O.A. TO 1/2 M.O.A.I DONT WANT TO START THE BREAK-IN AND LOAD DEVELOPMENT AND 500 ROUNDS DOWN THE ROAD HAVE TO SELL IT...
(1)SHOULD I DUMP IT AND BUY SOMETHING ELSE...ARMLITE?
(2) CAN THIS WEAPON SHOOT THAT GOOD?" OR CAN IT BE MADE TO SHOOT THAT GOOD WITHOUT SWAPPING THE UPPER I.E. SHORTENING THE FREEBORE TO GET THE BULLET CLOSER TO THE LANDS FOR A MORE CONSISTENT START DOWN THE TUBE...
OR UPGRADEING THE BARREL..
(3)DOES ANYONE HAVE EXPERIANCE WITH ACCURAIZING THESE AR-10?
THANKS IN ADVANCE TO YOUR RESPONCE...

Re: REM R25 .243 TO SHOOT OR NOT

ALL CAPS IS NOT WELCOME. Turn off your caps lock.

R25 is a DPMS LR, have seen some of these rifles shoot quite well. Any factory rifle is a bit of a gamble.

Very few AR-10s are 0.5 MOA rifles, fewer yet are 0.25 MOA capable. You'll have to shoot that one to find out if you got a gem or a turd. Usually 0.5 to 0.75 MOA from a large frame AR is about all your going to get.

Please turn OFF your f@#$ing CAPS LOCK!!! A little puntuation wouldn't hurt either and would make the lives of those unfortunate souls reading your posts a little easier.

First, it IS NOT an AR-10. It is an R25. Only Armalite makes AR-10s. Everything else is a semi-auto 308 of one make/model or another. i.e. - DPMS LR-308, Remington R-25, POF P-308, etc.

As for 1/4MOA accuracy...forget it. It won't do it and I am not aware of any factory, commercially produced .308 AR type rifles that will on a consistent, repeatable basis. 1/2MOA is possible with the 308 AR class rifles if the shooter does their part, with proper ammo, etc. The world is full of 1/2MOA rifles, but not nearly as many shooters. From your factory R-25, with commercial match or reloads tuned to the rifle, I would reasonably expect MOA or better, but 1/2MOA is unlikely.

If you want the most in terms of reliability, accuracy, etc., you would be well-served to consider options OTHER than the R-25. GAP, APA and many other custom shops can build you just about anything you want on either an AR-10 pattern rifle or a DPMC/KAC pattern rifle. You pick the caliber, barrel length/twist, trigger, and other options that best suit you and your needs and they'll build you a highly capable rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
First, it IS NOT an AR-10. It is an R25. Only Armalite makes AR-10s. Everything else is a semi-auto 308 of one make/model or another. i.e. - DPMS LR-308, Remington R-25, POF P-308, etc.
</div></div>

This bullshit again? It's just a general use term, and it is in-fact as much an AR-10 as every other .223 AR built is an AR-15 in generalized terms. Talk about knit picking.

Moving along- don't be an idiot; take off your caps lock. Would you write a business letter or semi-formal communication in all caps? No, you would not. Then don't do it here.

Not trying to "knit pick," but facts are facts whether you choose to accept them or not. Armalite holds a registered trademark on the AR-10 which makes the use of "AR-10" exclusive to Armalite and anyone who profits from the misuse of it to describe, advertise, promote, etc. any other type of .308 semi-auto rifle/carbine is doing so in violation of federal law!

The point is...how would you like it if you spent countless millions of dollars in product development to come up with a "DP425" widget, only to have some hack open a shop in his basement and, using your name, manufacture and sell his own version of the DP425 for less money, with inferior quality, etc., all while riding your coat tails right to the bank. Trademark, Patent, and Copyright protections exist for a reason.

With that said, I understand the practicality of describing a "group" or "class" of firearms with one simple, universal moniker which is largely where the "AR-10" gets misused to describe virtually any and every .308 or "large-caliber" AR-based rifle/carbine out there. The bigger problem is that half the time, when a person says AR-10, they don't mean AR-10, but something else that isn't compatible and it takes up more time and more bandwidth to figure out that they mean "insert name of other semi-auto .308 here." It is EASIER to say what you mean and mean what you say instead of misusing a term that only causes confusion and leads to a series of follow-ups like, well, which "AR-10" do you want...Armalite, DPMS/KAC, etc.? This is especially true since there is no mil spec, universal standard for the .308 semi-auto like there is for the AR-15, making it even more confusing to refer to something as an "AR-10" when you mean something else.

WHERE IS IT WRITTEN ALL CAPS ARE NOT WELCOME?
Where did all the english profs come from?

Just answer his question.

On another note, some of the R-series shoot pretty good and others ok.

Mick

Here you go Mick

7. No all-caps (FOR EXAMPLE, LIKE THIS) please. It is extremely hard to read. Posts submitted in all-caps will be deleted automatically.

He needs to change it.

Guys: I'm as big of an ass as they come. But have a little mercy on someone who isn't proficient with English punctuation. Love and tolerance of others is our code. Right?
wink.gif

"Big Chassis" v. "Small Chassis"
(AR10, Lr308) v. (Ar15,M4, etc.)

How's that? Someone else thought of it, and it seems to work. "Large caliber AR" does not. An Ar10 can be .243 - small caliber. That would be a "Small Caliber Big Chassis". Won't work.

Big Chassis / Small Chassis works....I think.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not trying to "knit pick," but facts are facts whether you choose to accept them or not. Armalite holds a registered trademark on the AR-10 which makes the use of "AR-10" exclusive to Armalite and anyone who profits from the misuse of it to describe, advertise, promote, etc. any other type of .308 semi-auto rifle/carbine is doing so in violation of federal law!

The point is...how would you like it if you spent countless millions of dollars in product development to come up with a "DP425" widget, only to have some hack open a shop in his basement and, using your name, manufacture and sell his own version of the DP425 for less money, with inferior quality, etc., all while riding your coat tails right to the bank. Trademark, Patent, and Copyright protections exist for a reason.

With that said, I understand the practicality of describing a "group" or "class" of firearms with one simple, universal moniker which is largely where the "AR-10" gets misused to describe virtually any and every .308 or "large-caliber" AR-based rifle/carbine out there. The bigger problem is that half the time, when a person says AR-10, they don't mean AR-10, but something else that isn't compatible and it takes up more time and more bandwidth to figure out that they mean "insert name of other semi-auto .308 here." It is EASIER to say what you mean and mean what you say instead of misusing a term that only causes confusion and leads to a series of follow-ups like, well, which "AR-10" do you want...Armalite, DPMS/KAC, etc.? This is especially true since there is no mil spec, universal standard for the .308 semi-auto like there is for the AR-15, making it even more confusing to refer to something as an "AR-10" when you mean something else. </div></div>

And I understand what you are saying- however, the TRUE AR-10 has much more in common with the DPMS unit than the latest "AR-10". Further, Colt holds the trademark for AR-15; yet I'm sure you and everyone else will refer to just about any mil style semi-auto similar to an M4 or M16 as an "AR". And as we all know- just because it's an "AR-15" TYPE rifle does not mean it meets mil-spec, or even has the same gas system. Further, misusing a trademarked name to describe a product while not using that trademark for profit is NOT illegal. Key thing is it must be done to make a profit- I don't see anyone using the term to generalize a firearm making profit. Again, same goes for AR-15's- you will only ever find ONE maker of AR-15's. Does not stop anyone from referring to every bushmaster, dpms, noveske or whatever else as an "AR-15".

If it's good enough to bitch about "AR-10" being a misused trademark- I'd like to see you jump on everyone's ass who call's their M&P15 an "AR" or "AR-15".

Lastly- the argument that AR-15 is okay because there is a mil-spec standard (which does not apply to anything but a military weapon anyway), but AR-10 is not because they very in design doesn't really hold weight either. There are no less than three DIFFERENT designs of the AR-10 titled and trademarked as such. So in-fact, there is no set "standard" for AR-10 either. So they'd better be sure to say AR-10, AR-10A or AR-10B.

I think you're viewing this as if someone is referring to a Savage 110 as a Rem700- which I don't believe is a good way of viewing it. I'd rather view it as someone referring to their bolt gun which is based on the Rem700 design but may not have 700 on it anywhere as a 700. It's more of a term of reference for the design style and in that respect it is accurate. KAC, DPMS, Bushmaster and the like are not AR-10's, but they are designed directly from the AR pattern rifles.

Anyway, at this point we're really arguing points of view; but I do find it hypocritical to slam someone for misusing "AR-10" but not "AR-15"

Thank you so much for writing that so that I didn't have to.

If some a-hole goes and buys an "AR-15", do you then assume that it must have been a Colt that he bought?

Are any of you AR-10 trademark nazis out there being compensated in any way by Armalite for being such tools?

I usually refer large AR styles as AR10 or LR308 "platforms". I could give a f'ck less about the trademark, rather I prefer to know which pattern (mags, receiver styles, etc) is being referred to.

I believe the R25 is a "LR308 platform"....

1) your call
2) they can, but cobminations of nuts behind the trigger and the rifle being capable are few (very) and far between
3) yes, and you assumptions in question 2 regarding the accuracy potential are the least of the areas I'd be concerned with. LAnd chasing in a large AR is a stupid idea-they are finicky enough pressure wise without trying to spike 'em.

Thanks sobr,For the reply, nice and to the point.And thanks for all who stood up for me.
AS FOR THE REST WOW!!! Now I remember why I quit posting on some of these forums years ago.Jesus christ what a shi# storm of turd flippers.I feel like I am back in highschool speeking of which... Looks like while some of you were in class learning how to type and spell I was out shooting
eek.gif

I wont try to defend myself against all the turds being thrown at me, but I will say that I wont be posting any more questions on this forum.
Go ahead and delete this thread and dont worry about posting a reply cause I will be out shooting in case I meet you at the match
wink.gif
ahh look I'm even keeping my sence of humur!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RA10X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I feel like I am back in highschool speeking of which... Looks like while some of you were in class learning how to type and spell I was out shooting
eek.gif
</div></div>

LOL!

The R25 in 243 is (I believe) a 1:10 twist, which won't stabilize the nice long bullets that make the 243 sing.
If you were open to putting a high end barrel on it, put a 1:8 Kreiger or similar and you could have a long range, precision autoloader.
I'd expect around .5 - .75 moa, BUT out to as far as 1300 yards with several different bullets.
No kidding, the 243 in a large frame AR can take you a long ways.
Further than the 260, although not by a lot.

i have a r-25 and have read lots of people shooting 95gr and less are shooting 1moa-.75moa. i think thats pretty good for one of these guns. I havent bought a scope for mine yet so i dont know personally

Sorry you don't like the forum rules. You don't have to worry about posting anymore.