Remington 17HMR case head/rim failure

Bjkaboom

Private
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2024
Pocono's Pa.
I purchased a brand new Bergara BMR 17 hmr. I Purchased it online and shipped to my local FFL. I picked it up the 19th, Wednesday. This morning I went to the range to break it in. I shoot and clean after every shot for any new rifle or barrel. Initially I punched the bore and ran a clean dry patch through it. I took a shot at the back bank to test it. It fired with issues. I cleaned the barrel again. Next I cleaned the scope base screw and thread locked them. I installed a 30x target scope and looked the bore and scope to bore sight. I didn't make any E or W adjustments. I took another shot, benched at 50 yds. I took the 2nd shot and the rim on the cartridge ruptured and blew my whole trigger guard assembly from the bottom of the rifle. The pressure blew the assembly out of the stock from two action screws Has any one ever had this issue?? The ammo I was shooting did not causing in my other rifle's or revolver. Thank you. SFGS! Semper Fi Godspeed!!!! BjKaboom

Yes.
I've had it happen with both 17hmr and 22wmr.
Case rupture on the 17hmr was due to weak brass
when it split at the edge of the rim that then vented downwards.
The 22wmr was overcharged which blew chunks of brass
totally separating the head from the chambered brass.
Neither were out of battery discharges, or failure to close the bolt.

Contacted CCI customer service.
They sent a shipping label for the remaining cartridges
and the pieces of the ruptured cartridge recovered.

After diagnosing the cause, CCI issued a refund check for the cartridges and rifle repairs.

Yes.
I've had it happen with both 17hmr and 22wmr.
Case rupture on the 17hmr was due to weak brass
when it split at the edge of the rim that then vented downwards.
The 22wmr was overcharged which blew chunks of brass
totally separating the head from the chambered brass.
Neither were out of battery discharges, or failure to close the bolt.

Contacted CCI customer service.
They sent a shipping label for the remaining cartridges
and the pieces of the ruptured cartridge recovered.

After diagnosing the cause, CCI issued a refund check for the cartridges and rifle repairs.
...Thank you for your response!! 🙏 😊 I'm going to call Remington tomorrow. I already call Bergara. They said they will discuss it with the Superintendent and they and get back to me. No worries. I'll keep you posted. I really like the Bergara 17hmr BMR. Especially compared to my other Savage 93r17's. You run a patch down the Bergara is like heaven compared to the feel of the Savage dirt road feeling. Honestly....I don't speak with forked tongue. Later. SFGS! Semper Fi and Godspeed Brother!!!...

Reactions: Big Phish
...Thank you for your response!! 🙏 😊 I'm going to call Remington tomorrow. I already call Bergara. They said they will discuss it with the Superintendent and they and get back to me. No worries. I'll keep you posted. I really like the Bergara 17hmr BMR. Especially compared to my other Savage 93r17's. You run a patch down the Bergara is like heaven compared to the feel of the Savage dirt road feeling. Honestly....I don't speak with forked tongue. Later. SFGS! Semper Fi and Godspeed Brother!!!...
...Well Bergara wants me to ship the rifle back and Remington want the ammo. The Saga continues. SFGS! Semper Fi Godspeed!!!...