• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Remington 40X Serial number

navyeod

Private
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2010
Got a Remington 40X yesterday in .243 Cal. It has a polished SS barrel on a blued action. Serial number 0588xxB. It has a heavy polished SS barrel. 27.5 inches. Blued action. Black synthetic stock with a right sided palm swell. It has a safety. Questions. What year was it made, does this sound like an original configuration for this gun. Markings on the barrel on the left are ".243win" next to the action "WM". On the right side of the barrel "REP" . Gun is in near new condition. Traded a M1A standard as new, for it. The 40X had a 10X bushnell Elite 3200 scope on top.

Re: Remington 40X Serial number

The 40-X serial number may well be different but the damn barrel code sure isn't!!! Barrel code link I posted is for 40-X/XB/XR rimfires as well as other 40-X centerfires I have seen/owned and 700's etc so don't know why yours would be any different?

You will have to call Remington for exact date of manufacture of receiver. They are not necessarily barreled/assembled in numerical order so receiver could be a month or so older. However, when the barrel is screwed on and marked it is for the month and yr it was done!

If you don't wish to believe me then just call Remington tomorrow. Simple!

Reactions: Butch Lambert1

grin.gif
Whirlwind Thanks for willingness to help. I should have looked more closely at the link you supplied and did not recognize it as a barrel code. If I use those barrel codes the gun was made in 1965. According to this article http://www.snipercountry.com/articles/remington40x.asp my gun (figuring 500 guns per year and based on the serial number of his 66 gun) my gun would have been made in the mid 80's. Other info I have found says it is tough to figure out the manufacture dates on these 40X's from serial numbers . My gun has a 27.5 polished SS barrel. Not sure Remington put these on other production guns. Be assured I don't know squat about Remington rifles other than I sure like to shoot them as of late and am impressed with their accuracy. Hoping you guys could help me out. I recently bought a Dick's Hardware special in a 308 for 449. I bought a used HS precision stock for it. It shoots in my hands and a shooting buddy's hand a true .5 MOA. Too cold and windy today for me to shoot this one, but can't wait. My shooting buddy has a 308 LTR Remington in the 308 that shoots cloverleafs at 100 yards. Were you in the Military. I am an old man now two tours Vietnam 68-69. US Navy EOD. Served 65-70 and got out as an E-6.

If you will look closer at the provided link the M comes up again in '92 I believe it was. Remington had the option of a chrome moly or stainless barrel for alot of yrs but don't know exact yr you could have either? Both could be had in the 27.5" length. The 58XXX SN would make it much later than '66ish. At that time SN would have been in the 30,XXX range. Also Remington didn't use the synthetic stock till sometime in the 90's. They are nice rifles, just overly expensive for most as at there current prices most will opt for a custom gun vs a semi mass produced custom gun if that makes sense.

Reactions: Butch Lambert1

Thanks. That sounds about right 92. I did not know they made a chrome Moly barrel and looking at this one I believe that is what it is and not SS.

If it is polished it would be stainless as Remington shined them up pretty good with a nice buff job. If chrome moly it would be blued. The chrome in chrome moly is in reference to composition of the steel and not the color.

I can tell you from experience that figuring out the DOM of a 40X is an exercise in futility. I've had 2 in recent years. One of them was an older one with a Hart Barrel and a Muzzle that was flat but crowned. I called Remington and got different answers on different days and from different people. The span was 20 years. There's an old post here that discusses it pretty thoroughly. I can't find it though.

Just shoot it and enjoy it! FWIW the one I have now is my "Keep it forever" gun. I never thought I'd have one of those but the 40X just seems to love me. Some months back I shot a 4 shot group with it at 300yds that you could cover with a dime! Had witnesses and all! It was only 4 shots because it was the last 4 rounds I had. I've also got a nickel on my keychain with a hole thru the center of it that my 40X shot at 300yds.! It's a fabulous rifle!

The only reason I could imagine your rifle wouldn't perform just as well would be if the throat of the barrel had excessive wear.