• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Remington 541Bolt knob conversion services offered

Mgordon

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2007
Wellington, Ohio
www.shortactioncustoms.com
Hey Gents, I just wanted to inform you on the Remington 541 bolt knob conversions I'm doing now. I charge $85 to do the conversion, and that includes supplying the Badger Bolt knob or other styles.

The way I do these are I cut the threaded shaft off, face the old handle then drill and tap and insert a hardened steel 10/32 screw to work off of. The benefit about putting it in the fixture on a lathe is that I can indicate off of the old handle to within .0005", so when I drill and tap, the hole is perfectly centered in the handle.

Anyway, here are some pictures. I'm working on CZ 452 and Ruger Mk 77/22 fixture next. I might just redesign the CZ handle assembly and make my own with a threaded handle so you can put whatever you want on it.

I do refinishing services, so send me a PM, Email or give me a call if you are interested. Thanks

Mark

DSC04703.jpg

DSC04704.jpg

DSC04725.jpg

DSC04732.jpg

DSC04735.jpg

DSC04736.jpg

DSC04737.jpg

Here are some pictures of the handle after I cleaned it up a bit.

DSC04752.jpg

DSC04753.jpg

DSC04758.jpg

url]

Re: Remington 541Bolt knob conversion services offered

Mark,

Really nice. Highly tempted to "trainer-ify" my 541 -- and I would definitely have this done if I go that route. The other option would be to sell it in its current original and very nice condition and get something a little "newer" to do things to... to wit:

Any chance you can do this to a Savage MkII? With the new TR models, I would think there will be lots of people looking for bolt knobs for their new Savage .22 trainers in the near future:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1492291#Post1492291

smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SINGLE.SHOT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dude..... pics with the bolt back in the gun

nice work</div></div>

I can't yet...gun was sent out for a Manners stock, you'll have to wait and see....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mark,

Really nice. <span style="color: #FF0000"> Highly tempted to "trainer-ify" my 541 -- and I would </span>definitely have this done if I go that route. The other option would be to sell it in its current original and very nice condition and get something a little "newer" to do things to... to wit:

Any chance you can do this to a Savage MkII? With the new TR models, I would think there will be lots of people looking for bolt knobs for their new Savage .22 trainers in the near future:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1492291#Post1492291

smile.gif

</div></div>
DO IT!! Anyone can have a new stock rifle....
smile.gif

I wasn't aware the 541 would fit in a full-size stock -- which Manners is it going into, if you don't mind sharing?

If I could then find a 1-piece scope rail, I just might be persuaded
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mark,

Really nice. Highly tempted to "trainer-ify" my 541 -- and I would definitely have this done if I go that route. The other option would be to sell it in its current original and very nice condition and get something a little "newer" to do things to... to wit:

smile.gif

</div></div>

Matt, I just need somebody to send me a bolt to build up a custom fixture for. With Exhogflyer's bolt, it took a few weeks, but I made a fixture to do his 541 bolt, so necessity breeds invention.

Mark

Would definitely be interested in what you come up with for the CZ's. Be wary of slapping too big a knob on them.... typically ocular/knob room is pretty sparse with the stock setup and sane optics to begin with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Hon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would definitely be interested in what you come up with for the CZ's. Be wary of slapping too big a knob on them.... typically ocular/knob room is pretty sparse with the stock setup and sane optics to begin with. </div></div>

Understood. I have some customers Ruger 77/22's bolt and some CZ 452's, I dont personally own any of them, so I'm kind of flying in the dark at this moment. It is going to be a good month or two before I can get some prototypes out. I dont think it is worth it to charge $85 to chop up a factory CZ or Ruger part and throw a bolt knob on it. I would rather do some R&D, and come up with a new design that is stronger and has a threaded handle this way the customer can put whatever knob he wants on it and charge the same.

What do you guys think?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: US Handgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Hon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would definitely be interested in what you come up with for the CZ's. Be wary of slapping too big a knob on them.... typically ocular/knob room is pretty sparse with the stock setup and sane optics to begin with. </div></div>

Understood. I have some customers Ruger 77/22's bolt and some CZ 452's, I dont personally own any of them, so I'm kind of flying in the dark at this moment. It is going to be a good month or two before I can get some prototypes out. I dont think it is worth it to charge $85 to chop up a factory CZ or Ruger part and throw a bolt knob on it. I would rather do some R&D, and come up with a new design that is stronger and has a threaded handle this way the customer can put whatever knob he wants on it and charge the same.

What do you guys think?

</div></div>

Like where your heads at, and appreciate the foresight. Let us know if we can do anything to help ya out.