• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Remington 700 5r

Jason_R

Private
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2009
Ok I sold my Remington 700 VSSF in 220 swift to get get a 5r, however I'm not 100% certain if I should pick one up. I'm not a fan of the stainless finish, or the stock. However, I don't know if I want to drop $3k on a GAP crusader (or similar) yet. If I picked up the 5r, is it a big deal to switch stocks, get a Badger DBM kit, and get the rifle coated black?

If I do go this route, what optic should I look at and what sort of picatinny mount? I want a rugged, crawl in the mud/sticks/whatever and shoot <1 MOA rifle.

Re: Remington 700 5r

They are good rifles. I have on that I have left stock. It shoots .4 moa all day long with a s***y scope.

I have seen many 5R's w/ DBM, new stocks and painted.

Look up 5r milspec you should be able to find pics.

if you don't like the stainless or the stock save your money and just buy the sps tactical it's black already and you can use the hundreds you saved on it to buy a mcmillan or manners stock.

as far as mounts go my fave is seekins rings and bases, I have also used warne, near, egw, and last but definetly not least farrell who also makes great rings.

I sure like my 5R, shoots .250 to .500 all day if I do my part. Havin't heard of one that doesn't shoot. Only thing that I did to mine was the Krylon paint job, metal and stock. Hope this helps.

scout1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason_R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok I sold my Remington 700 VSSF in 220 swift to get get a 5r, however I'm not 100% certain if I should pick one up. I'm not a fan of the stainless finish, or the stock. However, I don't know if I want to drop $3k on a GAP crusader (or similar) yet. If I picked up the 5r, is it a big deal to switch stocks, get a Badger DBM kit, and get the rifle coated black?

If I do go this route, what optic should I look at and what sort of picatinny mount? I want a rugged, crawl in the mud/sticks/whatever and shoot <1 MOA rifle. </div></div>

Some added thoughts: I too at first was not high on the stock. The dual palm swells did not feel comfortable to me however with time I've grown used to them, but still don't like them. That being said I feel the HS stock is one of the reasons that makes this rifle so accurate out of the box.

Also forget to mention that I changed the trigger group out to a Rifle Basix L-1 adjusted to 2.5 pounds. Cost was $100.00.

I had a high pucker factor about taking a can of spray paint too it, but after doing so I really like it. Sprayed the entire rifle, stock, scope etc.. Also added some splashes in different colors.

Don't have any second thoughts about buying this rifle, you'll love the results. You can always change its appearance cheaply and add to it as you go along over time.

scout1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scout1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason_R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok I sold my Remington 700 VSSF in 220 swift to get get a 5r, however I'm not 100% certain if I should pick one up. I'm not a fan of the stainless finish, or the stock. However, I don't know if I want to drop $3k on a GAP crusader (or similar) yet. If I picked up the 5r, is it a big deal to switch stocks, get a Badger DBM kit, and get the rifle coated black?

If I do go this route, what optic should I look at and what sort of picatinny mount? I want a rugged, crawl in the mud/sticks/whatever and shoot <1 MOA rifle. </div></div>

Some added thoughts: I too at first was not high on the stock. The dual palm swells did not feel comfortable to me however with time I've grown used to them, but still don't like them. That being said I feel the HS stock is one of the reasons that makes this rifle so accurate out of the box.

Also forget to mention that I changed the trigger group out to a Rifle Basix L-1 adjusted to 2.5 pounds. Cost was $100.00.

I had a high pucker factor about taking a can of spray paint too it, but after doing so I really like it. Sprayed the entire rifle, stock, scope etc.. Also added some splashes in different colors.

Don't have any second thoughts about buying this rifle, you'll love the results. You can always change its appearance cheaply and add to it as you go along over time.

scout1 </div></div>

Post pics of your painted 5R.. Im thinking of doing the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you don't like the stainless or the stock save your money and just buy the sps tactical it's black already and you can use the hundreds you saved on it to buy a mcmillan or manners stock.

as far as mounts go my fave is seekins rings and bases, I have also used warne, near, egw, and last but definetly not least farrell who also makes great rings.</div></div>

Since he's thinking about the 5r, I think he should get the SPS Varmint and have a smith put in a match chamber and bring it down to 24". And he'll have an extra $200 to get whatever stock he wants.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kelvrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you don't like the stainless or the stock save your money and just buy the sps tactical it's black already and you can use the hundreds you saved on it to buy a mcmillan or manners stock.

as far as mounts go my fave is seekins rings and bases, I have also used warne, near, egw, and last but definetly not least farrell who also makes great rings.</div></div>

Since he's thinking about the 5r, I think he should get the SPS Varmint and have a smith put in a match chamber and bring it down to 24". And he'll have an extra $200 to get whatever stock he wants. </div></div>

the benefit of the 5R is the 5R 11.25 twist Barrel. Who cares about a match chamber on a SPS with a 12 twist 6 lan/groove barrel.

I would rather have the 5R in a heartbeat just because of the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scout1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason_R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok I sold my Remington 700 VSSF in 220 swift to get get a 5r, however I'm not 100% certain if I should pick one up. I'm not a fan of the stainless finish, or the stock. However, I don't know if I want to drop $3k on a GAP crusader (or similar) yet. If I picked up the 5r, is it a big deal to switch stocks, get a Badger DBM kit, and get the rifle coated black?

scout1 </div></div>

Post pics of your painted 5R.. Im thinking of doing the same. </div></div>

I have one photo of it that Id be happy to post, but I can't figure out how to post it.

scout1

Upload it to photobucket or a similar site and post the link.. or if you want pm me and I will give you an email address and I will post it for you.

my 5r is dura coated and i love it wasn't hot about the stainless either and i like the stock just wish it had a raised cheek rest, i also textured the stock on the palm swells and foregrip
10671kdk_0066-med.jpg

10671kdk_0071-med.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason_R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know if I want to drop $3k on a GAP crusader.</div></div> OK, but you are talking about dropping 1K on a factory Remington, and it's still a factory Remington. How about splitting the difference and ordering a GAP base rifle?

As always, the questions you ask will determine the answer you get. Ask yourself, and be honest, what are you going to USE it for?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason_R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know if I want to drop $3k on a GAP crusader.</div></div> OK, but you are talking about dropping 1K on a factory Remington, and it's still a factory Remington. How about splitting the difference and ordering a GAP base rifle?

As always, the questions you ask will determine the answer you get. Ask yourself, and be honest, what are you going to USE it for? </div></div>

I want something that can get beat up and thrown around and retain zero and function.