• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Remington 700 firing pin assy

jd3006

Private
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2010
alabama
After reading of this engineering blunder I'm planning to replace my j-lock firing pin assy with a new assy. I've looked at Midway,Brownells,and Pacific Tool and Gage at their assemblies. Does an aluminum pin have any advantage over a steel one other than a couple ounces of weight? Also is any one brand really better than another? Please suggest any brands I may have missed.Thanks for any advice/feedback.

Re: Remington 700 firing pin assy

Unless its a comp gun(As in benchrest or highpower) I'd stay with a Factory Remington assembly.They are available from Brownells for around $50 complete.Alot less heartburn with a factory unit.

I was in the same situation with a couple of J-locks to replace. I've used the Remington replacement from Brownell's, PTG, and Gre-Tan. I really can't tell a lot of difference in the any of them. I had a question with the Gre-Tan and Greg personally answered the phone and answered my questions. Because of their customer service and the price I would do the Gre-Tan from now on.

When ordering the assy, lets say from Rem. or PT&G can I specify that ground and set 24# spring. It looks to me that each seller has a spring of their choice in the assy. One I saw said theirs had a 19# spring and no mention of ground and set. It should be obvious that you are helping a novice here. Thanks to all who have replied.

Ive been using an aluminum pin for 2 years without problems. Ive installed quite a few and never had a problem.

If made and installed right it wont break.

There are quite a few claims that they quicken locktime. Those of you that say they dont, how about some proof to back it up. They are lighter and have improved/stiffer spring. Makes sense to me that it would be quicker.

Ive always ordered from PTG. Lately theyve been very slow and inconsistent. 6 weeks and waiting...

Id order from Brownells or Midway.

Steel or aluminum, either will be better than a J-locked assembly.

I like aluminum. I notice several differences using aluminum over steel that people dont even mention. Try one. Dry fire it. Maybe you'll agree.