• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Remington 700P .308 (pics up) ETA: Got the gun!!!

Javo

Private
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2010
Puerto Rico
Hey guys i've been asking a lot of questions today and browsing up and down the boards all day long. But one thing i've been noticing is that all the Remington 700Ps i've seen, heard, read, or told about are either 26", 24" or 20".

I havent seen a single one in 18". To add to the strangeness, of the deal a guy at my club in making me, he will sell his 700P 18" with a round count less than 200rds for $500.

Here is the question: Did Remington at some point produced 700Ps with 18" barrels? I havent seen the gun personally, just pics but im skeptic about the barrel length, not appearing even once on my searches.

This is the stick. Actual pics he sent me.
5613b854.jpg

8686e6bf.jpg

7a1703b7.jpg

2fcddff3.jpg

5f8e692b.jpg

52c4cce3.jpg

Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

J

Re: Remington 700P .308 18" (pics up)

I think he may not know much about firearms or atleast accesories because unless I am mistaken that bipod is on backwards:)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tepeter1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think he may not know much about firearms or atleast accesories because unless I am mistaken that bipod is on backwards:) </div></div>

It's on right-wards, the pictures are just meh.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 117D-RTO</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tepeter1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think he may not know much about firearms or atleast accesories because unless I am mistaken that bipod is on backwards:) </div></div>

It's on right-wards, the pictures are just meh. </div></div>
No the bipods are on backwards. Also, as stated before it is not a 700P.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: javo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK so it's not a R700P, dis Remington stopped production of the LTRs a while ago? I cant find it on their page.

Thanks

J</div></div>

700 hundred refers to the action. LTR stands for Light Tactical Rifle, which is based on the Rem 700 action.

The rifle pictured is a 20" LTr and Remington still makes these.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: k9222</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: javo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK so it's not a R700P, dis Remington stopped production of the LTRs a while ago? I cant find it on their page.

Thanks

J</div></div>

700 hundred refers to the action. LTR stands for Light Tactical Rifle, which is based on the Rem 700 action.

The rifle pictured is a 20" LTr and Remington still makes these. </div></div>

OK so excuse my newbiness then but, does that mean that the only thing diferent on the 700P it's the barrel and the H-S stock?

Do these come bedded as the 700P?

Thanks

J

I'll buy it for 500.00!! To me that's a good price for a base gun. Spend some money on high quality rings and base and a high end optic and you'll have a nice shooter. Then you can bring it to a smith to bed and tune the trigger. You wont be sorry...

Got it. Do you think those light flutes really help out the overall rigidity of the gun or are them just a marketing/selling point thing?

Thanks

J

Javo, As stated it is a verson of the 700p. I would imagine the seller is not measuring the barrel correctly, also stated above. As far as the purchase goes it is a very good deal at $500. The action, trigger, and stock are worth that every day even if the barrel is damaged. The "police" line of rifles from Remington are great rifles to start out shooting with. It will take you a long time to use this rifle to its full potential. If the barrel has been damaged or shot out even its still very much worth it.

I wouldn't hesitate to pick that $900 rifle up for $500! Do it before he comes to his sences
laugh.gif

Theres still enough unfluted barrel infront of the fluted, to say it hasn't been cut to 18". My LTR .223 is an awesome shooter, would love a .308!!

Well i talked to the guy again today and he says that the gun has seen no more than 300rds. This is not a target shooter as he bought the gun just because it looked "cool" to him (okay, that happens).

He says that after 2 range trips he lost interest on it suposedly because someone told him the .308Win was a slow shooting round (major WTF).

I will be checking the gun out on Monday and hopefully buying it then if the gun it's in the conditions he claims. Now the gun will be needing a base and rings.

Im thinking Larue Tactical 20MOA base with seekins or LT low rings?

Thanks for all the input so far guys, and i though the guys at AR15 were helpfull!!!

Thanks guys.

J

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: javo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">someone told him the .308Win was a slow shooting round (major WTF).</div></div>

Look at it this way... you snagged a nice rifle because someone listened to his "friends"...

DK

The barrel looks to be untouched, 20" in length. 500 is a steal, they retail for 900ish. I just traded for a LTR myself. I ditched the xmark pro trigger for a Timney and bedded the stock. Any quality (Seekins, Badger, NF, etc.) base and rings will work. Ring height will be determined by what scope you are using.
Just to be a shameless show-off
crazy.gif

DSCN0229.jpg

That's an awsome deal. When you look at it, look at how far down the barrel the flutes go. This will let you know if it was cut back or not and that will let you know if it is in fact an LTR or not. If the flutes go all the way to the crown of the barrel then it's not an LTR. If they stop about an inch and a half short of the tip then you're good to go. One thing I want to bring up though, origionally he told you that it only had 200 rounds through it, now he says no more than 300? It's not many rounds at all either way you look at it but either way, if he changes the story at all then there's somethng to be suspicious and skepticle about. Work the action, dry fire a couple times and don't let excitement of a new gun screw up your decision making process. Buying on an impulse can end up screwing you in the long run. Make sure that this is what you want but this sounds like an amazing opportunity for you. If the rifle is all on the up and up you are saving a TON of money on an awsome rifle.

Good luck buddy,
-Dylan

Just to be clear Im making a point that the sellers round count changed and that means he may not be fully truthful about the firearm. Not so much to do with the specific round count.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. This will let you know if it was cut back or not and that will let you know if it is in fact an LTR or not. </div></div>

Hey Dylan, thanks for the advise. Actually this was one of my main concerns, whether the gun was a LTR or not now that the market is flooded with 20" 700 actions.

The flutes on the barrel check out, they stop short of the crown at about 2" but the rest of the gun looks to the untrained eye (me) no diff than a lot of other stock 700s out there.

As far as round count, im pretty confident the gun has no more than 300rds. This guy is no target shooter and farthest he's gone with it it's 55ft at my local indoor club.

Are there any other specific ways of telling this is an LTR?

Thanks guys!!

J

Well i got the rifle, closed the deal a few hours ago. A couple of scratches here and there and some rust on the back end of the bolt but everything seems to be just fine.

The gun is serial: G6335XXX and it's marked WX on the left side of the barrel. Im thinking the production date is August, '03 per Remington's dating sheet. Either way, the scratches and scuffs on it are all cosmetic, the bore looks a-okay.

Now the trigger is the stock one and it does not impress. The pull seems like a #4 maybe just shy of #5 but it's not for me. I will use it for now but i'll need some suggestions as of which route to take in that department.

The guy that sold it to me claimed the gun had no more than 300 rds. Is it possible to confirm such a claim with these pictures of the bolt and the gun?

0545365a.jpg

cdb7c19c.jpg

45c1824b.jpg

f8fbea1e.jpg

Do you think that much wear, specially on the last pic, is concurrent with a log of only 300rds?

Thanks guys, will post some "good" pics as soon as i get the scope mounted.

J

Bolt doesn't look like it has much wear on the finish.

Feed ramp could just be from shitty surplus ammo or whatever.

In reality even if it has 10 times the number of rounds through it he claimed your still good to go. I'd give it a good cleaning then shoot the hell out of it.

Ty for showing off. Is that a Bushnell Elite 3200? It sure looks like it. I haven't seen any scopes out there with such rediculous turrets. If so what size are the lens covers?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The barrel looks to be untouched, 20" in length. 500 is a steal, they retail for 900ish. I just traded for a LTR myself. I ditched the xmark pro trigger for a Timney and bedded the stock. Any quality (Seekins, Badger, NF, etc.) base and rings will work. Ring height will be determined by what scope you are using.
Just to be a shameless show-off
crazy.gif

DSCN0229.jpg
</div></div>

My 700 SPS action has more wear on the bolt/lugs than that, and it only has 288 rounds through it. The feed ramp just looks rough and could have pulled a lil copper off of some meplats. Sounds like a solid gun. And a .308 slow at 55 ft...I'm still laughing!

Re: Remington 700P .308 (pics up) ETA: Got the gun!!!

Just bought 200 rds of Fed. Premium BTHP-SMKs 168 grainers and 160 rds of 150gr FMJs.
Hopefully i'll hit the range this weekend ( weather permitting) to check out how i do with the stock trigger.
There is a small (friendly) F-TR match coming up on April so i have around 6-7 F-class practices to get up to speed and figure out what im missing.

I'll let you guys know how it runs later.

Thanks for all the input.

Javier

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K_Labs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ty for showing off. Is that a Bushnell Elite 3200? It sure looks like it. I haven't seen any scopes out there with such rediculous turrets. If so what size are the lens covers?

</div></div>

Yes, 3200 mil/mil. The scope itself is pretty small which in turn makes the turrets look huge. Cannot remember the cover sizes.

Good buy you got there... If you hunt at all, try the Hornady 150 grain SST rounds. My PSS loves them, and every deer I've hit has been DRT.

Lee.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: javo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Now the trigger is the stock one and it does not impress</span>. The pull seems like a #4 maybe just shy of #5 but it's not for me. I will use it for now but i'll need some suggestions as of which route to take in that department.

</div></div>

Agreed. I put a Timney in mine. Easy install, no creep and very crisp now at 2.5 lbs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: javo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Now the trigger is the stock one and it does not impress</span>. The pull seems like a #4 maybe just shy of #5 but it's not for me. I will use it for now but i'll need some suggestions as of which route to take in that department.

</div></div>

Agreed. I put a Timney in mine. Easy install, no creep and very crisp now at 2.5 lbs. </div></div>
+1,
I have used the stock trigger, Timney, Jewell, Huber two stage, and for the money I would get the Timney. Sell the old one here for $55.

SScott

It's definately an LTR. They sell for around $900 here new. $500 is a great deal. I actually liked my standard 24" 700P better than the LTR. I shot better groups with it and it had a better feel to it when shooting from seated or kneeling positions. It also had less felt recoil.

As for the LTR, I believe they were only made with 20" barrels. You might want to ask if he bought it new and made any changes to it. I would jump on one for $500........

If you dont like the stock trigger, I will buy it or do a gear trade, you need a good Data Book, hint hint....

Here's an old LTR with a brake and Karsten cheek rest. Good little shooter, 1 MOA groups at 400 yd with 168 match ammo. This one below has a full size stock on it (the factory LTR stock was a little small for me).

LTR.jpg