Remington 7600 accuracy problem

Madcat MK II

Private
Minuteman
May 31, 2008
Phillips WI
The Rifle is a stock 7600 with a Boyds thumbhole stock. EGW base bedded to the action. Scope is a SWFA 10X SS in Seekins rings. The rifle has less than 150 rounds through it. The rifle with factory 150 gr. will not hold better than 5 x 8 inches. My reloads with 168 gr. A-Max will only do a 4 x 5 inch group. The trigger is quite heavy, probably 6 to 8 pounds. Do you think it could be the trigger or possibly the crown causing accuracy issues? or both?
Would like to hear your thoughts.
Thank you.

P.S. Gun was a gift so not really interested in getting rid of it.

Re: Remington 7600 accuracy problem

5 x 8 inch groups!!!! Sounds like you may have a loose nut behind the trigger.

Really though, are you talking about 5-8 inches at 100 yards? Sounds like it will never be a good target rifle but you could always fine tune your loads until you at least get consistent 3" groups. Should be great for a deer/elk rifle.

So how are all my pals up in Price County ?

The Remington 740(0) and 760(0) series rifles are not known to be tack drivers. My father has a 7400 in .270 that shoots about 2"-3" at it's best... the issue with these rifles seems to be one of consistency, two shots touching and then a flyer (strings badly when it heats up). There are reasons for this. Your pump action 7600 shares quite a few of the semi-auto's issues. You can do a few things with these rifles to make them more accurate... but why ? They are good venison makers and they are plenty accurate for that... but precision rifles, never.

That said your groups seem too large even for one of these hunting rifles.... could be the trigger, wobbly forearm, barrel heat and all the other distractions are stacking up. The best I've seen from one of these is about 2" ...

It seems here, that you have described the inherent in-accuracy of the model 7600 rather accurately.

So what again, is the problem?
smile.gif

Seriously though, while you may be able to tweak, adjust, and verify; it is being suggested to not expect too much out of that firearm design. It don't really matter what brand it is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: madcat mk II</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Rifle is a stock 7600 with a Boyds thumbhole stock. </div></div>

A what?
I need to see a picture of this?
I think somebody's playing games.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: madcat mk II</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
P.S. Gun was a gift so not really interested in getting rid of it. </div></div>

I don't think you have to worry about being flooded with offers.
grin.gif

Yes, 5" tall by 8" wide at 100 yards. Shooting with the forend on a rest. I'm not looking to make it a precision rifle but I would at least like to do a 3" group with it. I have seen a couple of websites that can tune the trigger to a 2-1/2 to 3lb trigger. I have heard but never seen a 7400 or a 7600 do a 3 shot 1 inch group at a hundred yards which is the reason why I question the grouping. That said, I have seen better looking crowns than is what is on this rifle.
Thank you.

P.S. No loose nut behind this trigger
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: madcat mk II</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, 5" tall by 8" wide at 100 yards. Shooting with the forend on a rest. I'm not looking to make it a precision rifle but I would at least like to do a 3" group with it. I have seen a couple of websites that can tune the trigger to a 2-1/2 to 3lb trigger. I have heard but never seen a 7400 or a 7600 do a 3 shot 1 inch group at a hundred yards which is the reason why I question the grouping. That said, I have seen better looking crowns than is what is on this rifle.
Thank you.

P.S. No loose nut behind this trigger
smile.gif

</div></div>

It sounds like your best bet is to tune up that trigger because 8lbs is quite heavy and may be throwing off your groups. A burr or something near the crown could be killing your groups as well so it might be worth getting it re-crowned or do a little free lance deburring. I bet your best option, after the trigger job, is just working out a good load. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Re: Remington 7600 accuracy problem small update

Hi
should have said before gun is a 308 win. sorry.

okay
talked to a buddy of mine he said to try some lighter grain bullets
so i loaded up some 110gr speer varmint HP with a starting load
and was able to get a 3x3 group at 100 yds. i will work the load up and see what happens. i still plan to have a trigger job done but it could take a month to get the trigger group back. so for now i will leave that as it is.
until my 30-06 gets done anyway.
here is a pic of the rifle for all interested.
Thanks

url]
[/img]

Wow.
I'm glad I finally got to see it.
I hope I never see another one.

If you're getting 3" groups out of one of those, then you should probably call it a god day.

Pump rifles tend to be a little faster in action than Lever guns and you don't have the tendency to pull it away from your target as you cycle the action.

SRT, over here in St. Pete, recently had a great deal on the Rem. .223 version which takes any AR-15 mags. I recall they were going for around $400.00.

I wasn't interested but I could see the utility of that type of rifle.

Definitely useful for hunting, but it's not going to be a reliable rifle for longer ranges, and nothing to get excited about at the range.

I had one in .243 in the early to mid 80's. Killed a bunch of deer with it, but the groups were very similar to what's been outlined here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: madcat mk II</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Rifle is a stock 7600 with a Boyds thumbhole stock. </div></div>

A what?
I think somebody's playing games. </div></div>
I knew exactly what you meant...
Remington760.jpg

My old 760 likes WW Factory 180 gr. Round nose bullets. It will do 1 3/4" with those. It isn't happy with any others...3 to 3 1/2 inches is best with any others. At the ranges it is used at, the 3 inchers do fine.

Interesting. The 7600s I have owned (four over the years) were always a bit more accurate than the 742s/7400s/750s I had, and weren't bad at all overall. The barrel is essentially free-floated and if you learn how to rest it properly you;d be surprised what some will do. And much like my experience with 700SPS barrels, they can be pretty decent if you get one made on a good day at the factory.

I picked up two new 7600s last year in .270 and 30-06. The .270 would always hold near an inch at 100 with 130gr Winchester HPs and about 1.50 with 130gr Federal Power Shoks. The 30-06 was about twice that, which is still good hunting accuracy. I only sold the .270 to standardize on the .308 ... so I have a 7600 in .308 on the way. I hope it's as accurate as the .270 was, or more, with handloaded Amaxes. The 760/7600 have always been a quick-handling, accurate little rifle good for the brush or the bean fields.

Got the .308 Synthetic 7600 in today. Cleaned it up and am shooting my handloads to around 1.5" with iron sights. Putting my 4-12x Redfield on it later tonight. Looks like it will shoot an inch or better scoped, with good ammo. The trigger isn't as bad as the one on my .270 and 30-06, but still pretty bad. A new spring to get rid of the atrocious trigger pull would put it sub MOA to 300 yards or so, most likely. We shall see.

I've got a 7600 that I had cut down to 19". I've had the gun since the late 80's and it has always been a really impressive shooter. The trigger is heavy but if I do my part from the bench it will shoot 3, 150gr Remington Core Lokt's into 1 inch. It shot well before I had the barrel shortened and it still shoots well today. I've kill lots of deer with this rifle.

On a side note this particular gun is extremely tolerant of bullet brand and weight. It will shoot 150gr, 165gr, and 180gr ammo from different companies at almost the exact same point of impact. I don't own another rifle like that.

I don't know your particular rifle, but a couple of months ago, my brother and I sighted in a 7600 for a fellow at the range. It was doing about 2" at 100yds.

This particular rifle had the Leupold windage base on backwards and was not torqued down properly. After reversing the base and putting the proper torque on the mounting screws it shot pretty well for what it was. Also, the 2" groups were shot with some doo-doo Walmart ammo.

Check your bases and rings. It might be an easy fix.

david

I've got a 7600 in 30-06 that I have recently been doing some load development for. Actually shoots better then I expected at 1.25" at 100 with 168 Nosler BT and Reloder 17. I was pretty happy with that.

But I tell you what, that stinkin gun kicks worse then anything I own. I would much rather shoot my 300 RUM in remy 700. I need to put a recoil pad on that thing. Hurts just thinking about it.

You ain't kid'n about the recoil. With my somewhat stout 168gr SMKs is was pretty sharp. I just put the Remington R19 pad on it. I put these on all my 7600s and 870s. Makes a noticeable difference.

There is a company that makes a spring kit for the trigger for about $10, and they'll install it and stone it for $40 if you send in the trigger groups. The trigger on my new .308 is a lot better than my others, though. Kinda odd. But nice.

I got the irons set tonight and am getting close to 1" with my handloads shooting from a ruck. May not put a scope on it, just hunt it this season with irons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hatchie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: madcat mk II</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Rifle is a stock 7600 with a Boyds thumbhole stock. </div></div>

A what?
I think somebody's playing games. </div></div>
I knew exactly what you meant...
Remington760.jpg
</div></div>

use a full choke for tighter groups