• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Removing case lube after full length resizing? How

mm509

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2010
Naches, Washington
Are there any tips and/or tricks to removing case lube after resizing?

Currently I use "One Shot" case lube, and after full length resizing, I like to remove as much lube as possible. Currently I wipe down all my cases with a clean rag. It has to be one of my most disliked operations during the reload process.

My question is......Is there a case lube that doesn't have to be removed? Or can I used rubbing alcohol (higher %) so that it evaporates? Or possible even electrical contact cleaner? I would just love to find something, that cleans the case lube off!!

Thanks

Re: Removing case lube after full length resizing? How

When I was using Hornady One-Shot I wiped it off with a paper towel damp with rubbing alcohol. You could tumble again, not sure what that'll do for your tumbling media, so I never tried it.

I use Hornady Unique case lube now, very similar to Imperial Wax, costs half as much. It does a better job of lubricating than One-Shot, costs less and doesn't make dents in the shoulder. I wipe it off the cases with a paper towel or shop rag, no alcohol or solvents needed. Give it a try if you're looking for a new lube, but I don't know of any that don't have to be removed.

Tumble the cases in a separate batch of media. I like the Lyman media. I tried the "Lizard Litter" stuff recommended here, but it is a bit too fine and lodges too many pieces in the flash holes for my taste. Keep the cleaning batch separate. Before cleaning the lube off, put the media in the tumbler, turn it on and squirt a few ounces of Naptha (evaporates quickly) into the media and let it mix. Dump the brass in and tumble for an hour or so. Squeaky clean. JMHO

I ultrasonic clean after sizing to remove lube. I tumble before I size and deprime then ultrasonic after trimming to remove lube and clean some of the residue from the primer pockets. I don't like tumbling after depriming since it leaves media in flash holes.

If I got 50 or 100 cases I clean them by hand, rubbing alcohol and chuxs wipes. I reload 200 cases at a time so it's, rubbing alcohol in a bucket, put the cases in there and let soak for 5 min. then give them a swish around, and then let them dry on a bread tray. This gets the lube off for me.

All my used brass goes directly to the press (no prior cleaning) for fl or nk sizing, then I drop in in the tumbler. I will usually let in tumble for about 3 hours.
I do check the brass for excessive dirt before I put it in a die

Drop it in the tumbler for 30 minutes and you will be fine. You really don't need to wipe One Shot off at all as it won't contaminate your powder or primers but I just throw them in the tumbler for 30 minutes to shine them up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunsnjeeps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ultrasonic clean after sizing to remove lube. I tumble before I size and deprime then ultrasonic after. </div></div>

I do the exact opposite...
Deprime and ultrasonic clean BEFORE, tumble AFTER for that nice shiney brass look
smile.gif

I ultrasonic to clean. I use imperial wax, and either wipe off with a microfiber towel or tumble (roughly 20-30 minutes) the sized brass.

Jeffvn

My process is a little different than most overall but the end result is fantastic so I stick to it.

The way I deal with Imperial Wax on my cases is that once they're 100% loaded I throw the loaded rounds into the corncob tumbler for about 45min and they come out lube free. As I stack them into the ammo carriers I just wear a pair of cotton gloves so that I don't leave finger oils to tarnish the brass. Even after 2 yr. I have some hunting ammo that still looks like it was tumbled yesterday.

I do it the tedious way... a cup of rubbing alcohol, a Q-tip and a microfibre towel. I apply the alcohol with the Q-tip and rub off with the towel prior to priming.

I don't like the idea of tumbling cases after I have gone through the process of putting them in a die to come out right... and the idea of tumbling loaded cartridges scares me. But I am sure I am worried about nothing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Drop it in the tumbler for 30 minutes and you will be fine. You really don't need to wipe One Shot off at all as it won't contaminate your powder or primers but I just throw them in the tumbler for 30 minutes to shine them up. </div></div>

If you don't make sure the lube is gone from the necks then when you drop powder, particularly ball powder, the kernels will stick to the lube and can wedge between the bullet and the neck, increasing your neck OD and causing problems with the ammo in the rifle.

I tumble for 45 minutes or more to make sure the neck IDs are clean. The outsides will tumble clean in 10-15 minutes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wipe each off with a paper towel wet with 100proof vodka. Leaves them squeaky clean. </div></div>

Comrade, that's alcohol abuse.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wheres-Waldo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunsnjeeps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ultrasonic clean after sizing to remove lube. I tumble before I size and deprime then ultrasonic after. </div></div>

Deprime and ultrasonic clean BEFORE, tumble AFTER for that nice shiney brass look
smile.gif
</div></div>

An hour or so to clean dirt and crap off the brass (save the dies). I don't like media in the flash holes after I deprime. Ultrasonic cleaning also cleans the primer pockets.

Clean in a plastic bowl of mild soapy dish water, dump casings into strainer,rinse thuroughly. Let air dry then throw into tumbler. Excesive case lube ruins tumbler media.

Just me but I have stopped using the media polish additive because it leave the casings tacky.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunsnjeeps</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wipe each off with a paper towel wet with 100proof vodka. Leaves them squeaky clean. </div></div>

Comrade, that's alcohol abuse. </div></div>

Hey what else can I do, they quit selling Everclear. I never said I didn't take a snort or two while I delube the cases
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunsnjeeps</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wheres-Waldo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunsnjeeps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ultrasonic clean after sizing to remove lube. I tumble before I size and deprime then ultrasonic after. </div></div>

smile.gif
</div></div>

An hour or so to clean dirt and crap off the brass (save the dies). I don't like media in the flash holes after I deprime. Ultrasonic cleaning also cleans the primer pockets. </div></div>
I talked to a Redding tech last week. He sizes his dies before cleaning the brass. Says the residue aids lubrication. Just make sure the dirt and sand and grit is off the cases. He runs a patch to clean the dies every so often and lubes with imperial.

Most of the time I will size brass and fully load it up in the same session. If this is the case I wipe the lube off with a towel.

If im sizing hundreds of cases for future use, I will dump all of my brass in hot soapy water and give them a clean like this. Once thats finished I dry them in alcohol and they come out golden.

microfiber rag...emphasis on MICROFIBER. It really does a great job and it's pretty quick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomekeuro85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just throw them back into the SS media for 20 mins. There's probably easier ways but eh, It works for me. </div></div>

I love the cleaning actino of the SSM, but jeez, it sure is a hassle due to the drying "process".

For match loads and extruded powders, I deprime and tumble in SS media first. Then lube and size and finish the round. When I have a batch of finished rounds, I tumble them in corn cob and car wax for 20 mins or so - they come out beautiful.

For .223 blaster ammo, I do not deprime. I tumble in corn cob and car wax for hours. I then lube, size, and complete the round and tumble a bunch of them in the corn cob and car wax for 20 mins or so.

But for some tricky subsonic loads were powder sticking to the lube inside the necks is a problem, I deprime and tumble in SS media first, then lube and size, then tumble in corn cob and car wax, then complete the round. I might tumble again after completion depending on what they look like.

I only remove the lube by hand if it is a very small batch or I don't have time to wait on the tumbler.

I like the Midway/Frankford Arsenal and Dillon spray lubes. Since I switched to these two I have never had a stuck case. Keep the dies clean and lightly lubed and the cases lightly lubed and dry and NO PROBLEMS. I'm going to make some myself with lanolin and alcohol this weekend.

I resize and then dump into the SS media to tumble for a few hours. No lube left at all. Once dry, I trim everything up and we are good as new.

I tumble mine in cob for about an hour.

I upgraded to the SS media method to clean cases, but kept my old Cabelas tumbler just for this process.

I tumble also. No set time. Just toss em in and come back later and take them out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tumble also. No set time. Just toss em in and come back later and take them out. </div></div>

same here

I can't believe some of the work and materials some people use for just removing a little lube. LOL Not saying they are wrong but I like the "work smarter, not harder" philosophy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't believe some of the work and materials some people use for just removing a little lube. LOL Not saying they are wrong but I like the "work smarter, not harder" philosophy. </div></div>

Which is???

Drop them in the tumbler for 20 minutes or so. It does everything that has to be done. Simple and easy. No solvents or rubbing each piece of brass with a virgin silk hanky in a clean room. Might work with 20 pieces but when you are sizing 300-500 at a time it's not as easy.

It's a piece of brass that you will dump powder in and shoot. Not the crown jewels LOL