• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site Updates Coming Soon - We're Updating The Homepage!

We've got some exciting changes coming, check the thread below for more info!

VIEW THREAD

Replacement Barrel for LaRue UU in 308?

little_scrapper

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 31, 2019
Couple years ago I built a LaRue UU Kit AR10 (M110) 18" PredatAR barrel. I am still early in my load development but if I wanted to re-barrel it mostly for bench rest accuracy; what barrel would YOU put in it?

Options for $300, $500, $700 range. Obviously if someone makes barrels that are consistently 1/2 MOA for $300; I see no need to spend more.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Genesis1984
I got a steel barrel for 360 in 18 inch shoots .48 to .65 is is big as it ever got. Shoots tighter with gas shut off

Proof is out. Dont care about weight at all. Not spending about $900 on a barrel.

Thinking of maybe going 20" over 18" not sure it would really make much diff.

Proof is not 900. I got a brand new steel for $360 and can get a carbon for 600. Proof is one of the best if your chasing those small groups

Reactions: MSTN
Proof list two barrels in steel for 308. How to tell if its DPMS or AR10? Dont see where it says either way. Also, where to buy. Proof site says $550 for either.

Got it thanks. My current LaRue only has a couple/few hundred rounds through it. Do I need to buy a new bolt as well?

Chitown? Where did you get a Proof barrel for $360? I assume that was just a blank. When I said barrel I meant a finished barrel chambered in 308

Last edited:
Lol no you dont need a new bolt. A few hundred rounds is nothing, that's just broken in. Your bolt is fine.

Lots of people tell you there large frame gassers shoot 0.5moa or less. That's extremely accurate and rare for a large frame gasser. A group or 2 is different than consistently shooting 5x5's or 6x5's that avg 0.5moa or less...

Doesnt get more accurate than Bartlein from Craddock or Kreiger from Keystone. Send them your bolt and they will headspace it to your barrel

Last edited:
So then why are you on a recommend me a barrel thread telling a guy to buy Proof barrels and telling him they are way under MSRP but Im not telling you where. Every known retailer of Proof barrels has them priced way above your shady screenshot.

Ill reach out to my contacts at Proof and see if this truly is the price and where or a mil/leo/proform deal that you arent supposed to be posting publicly.

So then why are you on a recommend me a barrel thread telling a guy to buy Proof barrels and telling him they are way under MSRP but Im not telling you where. Every known retailer of Proof barrels has them priced way above your shady screenshot.

Ill reach out to my contacts at Proof and see if this truly is the price and where or a mil/leo/proform deal that you arent supposed to be posting publicly.
Well now I'm definitely not posting the site when you want to be a dick about it when I was just messing around about it. Ruin it for everyone tuff guy. Lol key board tuff guys.

Well now I'm definitely not posting the site when you want to be a dick about it when I was just messing around about it. Ruin it for everyone tuff guy. Lol key board tuff guys.

No its called Moderator ass hole not tough guy. Im here to regulate the riff like you. You were joking? You like telling people your not telling where to buy a barrel you have told him numerous times to buy. You got called out!

What did I ruin? Guy asked you for info, you have given him bad info from the start. Over 2 days you have yet to provide where he can find the barrel you keep recommending at the price you keep correcting him and telling him he can buy it at then post cryptic pics and when I call you out on it you say you were joking? Go back to Arfcom. You told this guy he needs a new bolt every time he installs a new barrel? LMFAO. Your experience shows.....

Lol you are making my watch go by so fast tonight rofl. Good times thanks for the entertainment.

I have a 100 round Seekins take off barrel I am going to sell. Seekins are shooters I’m just switching to 6.5

Optics Planet has the PR10 for $480. Maybe he had some 25% off special. That would do it. *shrug*

If I could find that barrel for that price i would do it right now and just sell the LaRue barrel for $50

I might get flamed for this,but I have had good luck with the last 4 Criterion barrels that I've bought.
I doubt that you'll need a bolt but I have been using JP bolts and have it headspaced at Criterion with the barrel.

Proof list two barrels in steel for 308. How to tell if its DPMS or AR10? Dont see where it says either way. Also, where to buy. Proof site says $550 for either.
I had a Proof 308 steel barrel I bought from Stockys Stocks during a sale and it head spaced with an LMT MWS bolt. They advertise them as being headspaced to JP bolts when being manufactured so I think it's safe to say they are DPMS compatible.

I had a Proof 308 steel barrel I bought from Stockys Stocks during a sale and it head spaced with an LMT MWS bolt. They advertise them as being headspaced to JP bolts when being manufactured so I think it's safe to say they are DPMS compatible.
Proof site says they are compatible with either? *shrug*. My LaRue is SR25/M110 as far as I know. again *shrug* I know I ordered NOT DPMS when I ordered my UU.

Proof site says they are compatible with either? *shrug*. My LaRue is SR25/M110 as far as I know. again *shrug* I know I ordered NOT DPMS when I ordered my UU.
I'm fairly certain the barrel extension external dimensions are the same for both. The difference in Armalite and DPMS is head spacing in the barrel extension. I'm also fairly certain DPMS bolts are dimensionally the same as the SR25 and the MWS. I'd order the barrel if I was in your position and check headspacing. If all is good then shoot it!

Isnt shooting it how you check head spacing?
Maybe with a 25' string from behind a tree. However, by design an AR shouldn't fire if the bolt isn't in battery. Id probably be worried more about too much headapacing then not enough.

Last edited:
Isnt shooting it how you check head spacing?

Not sure if serious....

If serious, get a go/no-go gauge set and when the barrel arrives, run the check using the gauges and your bolt/barrel. The bolt should fully close on the go gauge and not close on the no-go gauge.

I do this before installing new barrels just to be sure

Not sure if serious....

If serious, get a go/no-go gauge set and when the barrel arrives, run the check using the gauges and your bolt/barrel. The bolt should fully close on the go gauge and not close on the no-go gauge.

I do this before installing new barrels just to be sure
I took 2 barrels and 2 bolts for 2 rifles I was putting together to one of my local AR assembler shops and they checked them for me for $20. Cheap insurance and peace of mind. I'll probably buy a set if I keep assembling rifles.

I took 2 barrels and 2 bolts for 2 rifles I was putting together to one of my local AR assembler shops and they checked them for me for $20. Cheap insurance and peace of mind. I'll probably buy a set if I keep assembling rifles.

Beats finding out the hard way that your large frame AR’s chamber is out of spec, haha.

1578018071483.gif

Reactions: CrabsandFootball
wow people like you RUIN everything for everyone - you are one of them...
O really when I was going to share a cheap site that gets barrels straight from proof that are almost 40% off that would have benefitted everyone. Ur right I ruined it. Now you will have to search the web for hours like I did to find it.

At optics planet I can out the door with a Proof PR10, 308 18" 1:10 for $460 shipped. https://www.opticsplanet.com/proof-research-pr10-stainless-steel-308-win-rifle-barrels.html

What does "Deepfeed" in the description mean? Does that refer to the feed ramps?

Not sure why the other guy has to be a douche about saying where shit is for what price, but it’s easy to find. Figure out what barrel you want, and find the full UPC number, not just proofs short 6 digit part number. You can usually find the UPC by google searching proof and their PN. Then plug that UPC number into the search on gun.deals and it’ll bring up all their vendors that list it. Also plug it into google and start clicking away because sometimes it’ll pull up some vendors that gun.deals doesn’t. Some places you’ll have to go to the site and add to your cart to see the actual price because it’s below MAP.

Keep in mind that all of those companies including optics planet are drop shipping it from a distributor and they typically don’t zero their “inventory” when the distributor sells out so it may or may not be in stock. If it’s not in stock you’ll probably wait a few months for it (assuming it’s not already on order and coming back in stock sooner) but it will be worth the wait.

Sorry no update. I still need to get out and do more load workup. I have a couple promising loads that I need to play around at. Then I need to start playing with seating depth. Until that is all done I wont know what it can do.

Reactions: LongRangeAggie