• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Resizing for AR

Natty Bumpo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2008
Missouri
Picked up a 5.56 AR recently (Stag 3L). Got some inexpensive ammo to use for it to build up a brass supply. Will begin reloading soon. I've never reloaded for a semi-auto. Can I just put a sized case in the chamber and let the bolt slam home to verify I'm sizing the case enough; same as I'd do for a bolt gun?

Re: Resizing for AR

Not recommended. Spend the money and buy an RCBS Precision Micrometer. Bump the shoulder at least .003" (most recommend .005") and seat the pimers at least .003" below flush. You should be reloading with a good FL die and might have to use a small base die depending on your chamber.

Re: Resizing for AR

for the ar we shoot.car-15,have used a set of lee dies for a few years now,just under 3000 rounds now and not even a single hiccup.i just knocked on wood .this rifle has never been a tackdriver but that was not what it was intended for so i just never invested in the upper line of dies.if i was trying to squeeze out all of its potential i would go with some of the recommendations above.