• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

resizing range pickup 5.56 brass

_ACGuy_

Private
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2024
Arizona
I have tons of 5.56 brass de-primed and cleaned and annealed but not resized yet. It all comes from stuff I have shot and my friends and shot and stuff that me being a "loot goblin" has picked up over the years at the range. I have 7K or so brass in reserve.

My question is about resizing. I don't really care about brass life as much as I do for my precision guns but measuring an AR chamber seems to be harder then removing the firing pin and extractor and checking bolt lift like I do with my bolt rifles. The only metric I can see anything concrete on is fired brass size and the go/no go gauge. It is worth it to set a FL sizing die to be .003 smaller then the go gauge or something subtracted from the no go gauge for a length?

I'm looking for a set it and forget it sizing die setup for my XL750 tool head with the bullet feeder for bulk reloading.

Do must people just not really worry about it and i am overthinking it?

If you're a brasshole who can't pass up a case you find on the range here's a technique that will save you all kinds of ass-pain:

get a small-base sizing die and use a Sheridan case gage (especially in something like a 650 or 750, or equipped with an automatic case feeder).

Why?

You won't know if the cases you've picked up were fired in a GI-chambered Colt or some bargain-basement home-assembled gun with a barrel from one of a hundred different makers. Was the chamber reamed for 5.56, commercial .223 Remington, or maybe SAAMI-minimum Match dimensions)? Was it short or long?

Sticking a fatter full-length resized case into a tight match chamber risks a slam-fire.

Some will say all you need is a generic full-length sized case set for cam-over. Or you can use a minimum-sized small base die and not worry about using the ammo you've loaded in ANYTHING -- from a Ruger Mini-14 or HK-53 to Remington 700 Varmint, GI Colt or FN barrel, or maybe even a SAW.

Reactions: camocorvette
Don’t forget to swag your primer pockets. Problem with range brass is some of it may have a military crimp and other brass doesn’t. You start loading on a progressive and unswagged brass with screw up the works.

You probably already know this but just a reminder!

If you're a brasshole who can't pass up a case you find on the range here's a technique that will save you all kinds of ass-pain:

get a small-base sizing die and use a Sheridan case gage (especially in something like a 650 or 750, or equipped with an automatic case feeder).

Why?

You won't know if the cases you've picked up were fired in a GI-chambered Colt or some bargain-basement home-assembled gun with a barrel from one of a hundred different makers. Was the chamber reamed for 5.56, commercial .223 Remington, or maybe SAAMI-minimum Match dimensions)? Was it short or long?

Sticking a fatter full-length resized case into a tight match chamber risks a slam-fire.

Some will say all you need is a generic full-length sized case set for cam-over. Or you can use a minimum-sized small base die and not worry about using the ammo you've loaded in ANYTHING -- from a Ruger Mini-14 or HK-53 to Remington 700 Varmint, GI Colt or FN barrel, or maybe even a SAW.
I get maybe a dozen or so out of a k of brass that won't quite fit the wilson gauge. I just chuck them in a bag. Thanks for the advice, I'll take that. I'm guessing that's the case with my case's.