Results August 2024 Topstraps Rimfire Challenge

Topstrap

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2009
East side of Ohio
We had great weather this month for a change, was quite breeze nearly all weekend which caused some frustration but it was pretty equal all 3 days with an occasional slow down but didn't last for very long. I want to thank all those that came and shot the match and also for all the help spotting/scoring and painting the targets which really helps more than you can imagine.

I also had a few new shooters that have never tried this longer range stuff before and they did quite well. Hope you all enjoyed the match and come back, bring a friend and get them hooked. It's a really deep rabbit hole if you let it get started but it's no necessary. Most everyone has run into the same thing, if you don't know someone that is already doing this and you try to get info at their local gun shops most will be misled on what they really need to get started for this type of shooting. Not saying the shop workers may be totally wrong but visiting a match or two will get you a lot more info on what everyone is using and what works.

I list gun/scope and ammo so others can see what everyone is using which really helps and also shows you don't have to spend big dollars to be very competitive. Take a look at this match results and you may be very surprised with the results which also happens at a lot of the other matches we visit. Decent gun and scope but great ammo along with good shooter skills will have you running equal with the competitors that spend many thousands of dollars on equipment. Just my observation but you can take it for what it's worth. Watching nearly 5000 rounds go down range each month from 25 to 200 yards with all varieties of equipment and shooter skills you see what works.

Anyway, on to the results. Top score was shot with a $249.00 Savage MK II with an Arken scope using Lapua Super Long Range ammo.He also shot the same gun Friday with Aguila and you can see the difference. Same shooter, same gun but a World of Difference. Another very good competitor was spotting/scoring for him and commented " I know you said you can see a real difference in the good stuff but until I actually watched it go downrange and impact each target I would never have believed how consistent it was". A chronograph will give you velocities and other data but seeing it actually work in real conditions is an eye opener. Is it worth $22.00/50 for the good stuff or deal with the extra 5 or so fliers we get with ammo such as SK Bia. or SK LR? Kinda gotta make that decision, I shot a few matches with the Lapua SLR and won each match I shot, dropped back to SK Bia. and dropped a few targets due to inconsistent velocity.

I let the shooters choose between the 50 yard 10 target humbler rack (2" down to 1/4") or the 197 yard Decending Circle 10 target rack (10" down to 1") for a KYL stage. Which ever stage they chose if they hit the first 5 then they were safe, then the second half became it's own KYL part. Most chose the 50 yard distance but with midrange ammo and the wind those little 5/16" or 1/4" target became their nemesis and a few lost enough points it dropped them down quite a bit from top place. Frustrating but sometimes "A Man Just Has To Know His Limits" as Clint Eastwood would say.

Free entries this month are: A Class Cuda Gatten, B Class Tim Humphrey, C Class John Montgomery

All ties decided by reverse count including bonus stage which was splitting bullet on an axe at 50 yards.

Score Class Name Gun Scope Ammo

1. 88 A Cuda Gatten Savage MK II Arken Lapua SLR
2. 85 A Randy Wise Savage Striker Pistol Arken Lapua SLR
3. 84 A Joe Bender CZ 457 MTR Vortex RZR Midas +
4. 83 B Tim Humphrey Vudoo NF SK Bia.
5. 83 B Dennis Kirkpatrick Remington 40X Arken SK Bia.
6. 82 B Bill Nesbitt Vudoo NF SK Longrange
7. 82 B Mick Humphrey Vudoo Burris SK Bia.
8. 81 A Mike Drake Rim-X NF Center-X
9. 81 A Bob Merillat Anschutz 1907 March Lapua LR
10. 81 B Phil Palmisano Vudoo Arken SK Bia.
11. 80 B Matt Dillon Vudoo Athlon SK Bia.
12. 80 B Kenny Arnold Anschutz 54 Vortex SK LR
13. 80 A Bill Moran (1) Anschutz Arken R-50
14. 79 B Dave Callipare Vudoo NF SK Bia.
15. 79 A Bill Moran (3) Izhmash Arken R-50
16. 79 B Jim Lochary CZ 457 March New Wolf and SK Bia.
17. 79 B Chris Kirkpatrick Rem 40X Arken SK Bia.
18. 79 B Bob Brown Rem 40X Athlon SK Match
19. 78 C John Montgomery Win 52 Peep Sights CCI std.
20. 78 A Herman Crooks Vudoo NF Center-X
21. 77 A Phil Baird Rim-X Athlon Eley Match
22. 77 A Bill Moran (2) Izhmash Arken R-50
23. 76 B Jacob Cain CZ 457 SWFA 20X SK Pistol
24. 76 A Jake Slyder CZ 457 Bushnell Lapua LR
25. 75 A Josh Moodispaugh (2) Vudoo NF Eley Match
26. 75 C Cuda Gatten Savage MK II Arken Aguila
27. 75 A Dan Steyaert Savage MK II Arken EP5 Lapua SLR
28. 74 A Josh Moodispaugh Vudoo NF Eley Match
29. 72 B Rich Harris Bergara Vortex SK LR
30. 70 B Kenny Triplett CZ 457 Vortex RWS Target
31. 70 B Jeff Wolfe CZ 457 Sightron SK LR
32. 68 B Rob Jackson CZ 457 Arken SK Bia
33. 68 A Tom Rayner Ruger 77 NF Center-X
34. 66 B Andy Frohnapfel Tikka T1X Vortex Diamondback SK Pistol
35. 66 B Dave Callipare Vudoo NF SK Bia.
36. 65 C Jerry Shaw CZ 457 Arken CCI std.
37. 65 C Tony Bryant Savage Arken CCI std.
38. 63 C Nick May Bergara Vortex Eley Club
39. 63 B Darrel Smith Tikka Arken SK LR
40. 62 A Walter Jasulevich Bergara Athlon Center-X
41. 59 C Eric Tice CZ 457 ??????? Tac-22
42. 59 C Dustin Kettlewell CZ 457 Arken EP5 CCI std.
43. 59 B Chuck Wagner H&R 12 SWFA 20X Rem-Eley
44. 56 C Kristen Hackathorn Bergara Semi-Auto ??????? CCI std.
45. 55 C Scott Adams Kidd 10/22 Athlon CCI std.
46. 54 B Boone Rayner Rem 513 Leupold SK LR