• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Results September 2024 Topstraps Rimfire Challenge

Topstrap

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2009
East side of Ohio
August match is in the books and was a low turnout. It was windier than normal except for about an hour on Friday morning for the first two competitors. Saturday was really bad and only two shooters braved the wind but still shot well. Friday and Sunday were both shifty breezy wind and there were also lots of other shoots going on and various Festivals locally. Anyway I want to thank those that came and shot the match.

Next month will be the Unique World Famous Topstraps Timed Event which is my favorite match of the year. Not hard or intimidating and couldn't be simplier to shoot, I move the smaller targets out and place larger targets in at some locations to make it easier and keep things moving. Start with 100 rounds in a bowl and 1 empty ten round magazine, you can use a 5 round mag and some of us have even shot it with a single shot and done well. There are 75 targets downrange so you have 25 extra shots you can use if needed. At the buzzer load the magazine and start up close, hit each target to move on. I'll only call misses, use all the sighters you want but they come out of your bowl. Your match ends when you hit all the targets, run out of ammo or the 20 minute time limit is up. Score is calculated using hit targets, plus any rounds left over if any and the time used to finish. If the all time Top Score is beat there is a bounty on that shooter and I'll give you a $100 bill. Key is to remember Slow is smooth and smooth is fast or something like that. Fun Fun Fun

It's still interesting to watch the shooters and the equipment they use and how the targets are impacted down thru the distances. I still say it's not so much the equipment used but the ammo. If you check back thru my past reports you'll see equipment and ammo and how it placed. We're swamped with a lot of very high end shooters including World Record holders, USA World Team Rimfire competitors and highly ranked tactical/precision competitors that travel the country and you get to see a wide range of what works and what doesn't work sitting behind the spotting scope.

Kenny Arnold discovered a loose scope mount about halfway tru the match but just soldiered on, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. He shot pretty good but had to make sure the scope sat back down on the action level each shot. Always fun to watch competitors deal with various problems during a match. Jacob Cain had something crazy going on with the grouping suddenly open up crazy big the farther out he shot. Same ammo as he's been using but it opened up big enough to be all over the big sighter plates. Carbon Ring maybe but goes to show even proven past stuff doesn't always mean same results come different match day.

On to the results, The Class winners and get a free entry for next month. A class is Randy Wise, B class is Dave Callipare and C class is Rob Jackson. All ties are decided by reverse count including the bonus target rack.

1. 95 A Randy Wise Savage Striker Pistol Arken Lapua SLR
2. 95 B Dave Callipare Vudoo NF SK Bia.
3. 94 A Kurt Yoder Sako Quad SWFA Eley Match
4. 94 A Chris Kirkpatrick Savage MK II Arken Lapua SLR
5. 94 A Joe Bender CZ 457 MTR Vortex Midas +
6. 91 B Tim Humphrey Bergara NF SK LR
7. 89 A Bob Merillat Anschutz 1907 March Lapua LR
8. 88 B Jim Lochary CZ 457 March SK Bia.
9. 85 B Bob Brown Bergara Athlon SK Bia.
10. 84 B Jerry Shaw CZ 457 Arken SK Bia.
11. 84 B Dave Zander Bergara Kahles SK Red.
12. 83 B Kenneth Triplett CZ 457 Vortex RWS Target
13. 82 A Dustin Kettlewell(2) CZ 457 Arken EP-5 SK SP
14. 81 A Karen Marsh CZ 452 Bushnell R-50
15. 80 A Tom Rayner Ruger 77 NF Center-X
16. 80 B Kenny Arnold Anschutz Vortex SK LR
17. 79 A Mike Drake Rim-X NF Midas +
18. 79 C Rob Jackson Anschutz 64 Arken CMP Eley
19. 78 B Jeff Wolfe CZ 457 Sightron SK LR
20. 77 A Dustin Kettlewell(1) CZ 457 Arken EP-5
21. 75 B Jacob Cain CZ 457 75 SWFA SK PM
22. 74 C Eric Tice Savage MK II Athlon CCI std.
23. 72 C Cuda Gatten Savage MK II Arken Aguila
24. 68 A John Montgomery Tikka Arken Ten-X
25. 66 B Ted Kernik Anschutz Exemplar Pistol SWFA HD SK Bia.
26. 65 B Chuck Wagner H&R 12 SWFA Rem Eley

july2024fullrange.jpg

Reactions: Emerson0311