Rex Silentium MG7

Tootalljones

Private
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2024
Huntsville, AL
Hey all. Quick question. I’ve been wanting to get y’all’s opinion on Rex Silentium as a brand. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor long distance rifle and a .260 Remington hunting rifle. I’ve been looking at getting the Rex MG7 in .264 bore. I like the price point, plus I’ve heard that the warranty is one of the best out there. Anyone have an MG7 on a higher caliber rifle? Thanks!!

i have an mg7k that i use on multiple short barrel hosts , built like a tank and decent suppression

diligent defense would also be a good suppressor to look at for your uses

Reactions: YotaEer
I've got an mg7 in 358 I use on a PCC and the new sealed mg22 I have only done a yard pop with.

As a brand, I like them. For steel cans they're pretty light. Haven't had any issues yet, but only have about 200 rounds through them.

I have a Rex mg7k 6.5mm version. It’s a very solid can and like it more than a sico omega, which was my first can

Had it on my 6.5 creed and 6.5 prc bolt guns for about a year and it was great.

Ive since grabbed a diligent defense enticer Ti and keep that on my bolt guns now. Moved the Rex can to my 6 arc gas gun and it’s perfect on the short barrel and low back pressure.

I would recommend the diligent defense can over the Rex for pure bolt gun use, but you won’t go wrong either way

Reactions: the_assman
Great cans, great company.

My little brother and I melted an MG7. Yes, we abused it to the point where the first blast baffle melted and folded in on itself. Rex warrantied it, returning it with their MG baffles and covered everything.

I had an end cap strike on one of my .358 bore 9mm cans. Totally MY fault. Rex replaced the end cap and covered the whole thing.

Nothing about the Rex cans is going to set the world on fire. They're middle of the road as far as performance, size and weight. However, their price point is marvelous and their customer service is whatever comes after top notch.

Last edited:
I really like mine too, it is a 338 cal can that I had a baffle strike on (barrel thread issue) and tho my warranties it within a couple weeks with zero hassle.

For you guys saying Rex is ok sound performance, what sounds better? The one I have has 8 baffles and it is super nice on everything from an 18” 6 arc, 16” 308 and 27” 300 Norma

Hey all. Quick question. I’ve been wanting to get y’all’s opinion on Rex Silentium as a brand. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor long distance rifle and a .260 Remington hunting rifle. I’ve been looking at getting the Rex MG7 in .264 bore. I like the price point, plus I’ve heard that the warranty is one of the best out there. Anyone have an MG7 on a higher caliber rifle? Thanks!!
They’re heavy and not super quiet, but seem like pretty solid cans.

If you want light & precision, get an Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-S 6.5mm can. I love mine. It’s super quiet, extremely lightweight, and it sounds amazing on my 6.5’s, .25’s, and 6mm’s.

Bauer actually has one in stock…These cans are selling like hotcakes.

I really like mine too, it is a 338 cal can that I had a baffle strike on (barrel thread issue) and tho my warranties it within a couple weeks with zero hassle.

For you guys saying Rex is ok sound performance, what sounds better? The one I have has 8 baffles and it is super nice on everything from an 18” 6 arc, 16” 308 and 27” 300 Norma
Sound performance is going to be subjective unless you want to nerd out about data that doesn't really matter so long as you have realistic expectations. An example of this would be someone that is disappointed with the performance of a K can on a 5.56 gun. They're all going to be loud.

Tone, weight, price, back pressure and firing schedule are more important metrics to look at. The MG7, for its price point is an excellent offering. I would strongly recommend waiting for the periodic sales they do to save a considerable sum of money. Especially with the quicker than average turn around times these days.

A subjective example would be this:

On my 9mm MPX's, my MG7 sounds as good or better than my Dead Air Wolfman in its K configuration. In the long configuration on the Wolfman, it just sounds like shit, period.

On my 300 blackout rattler, the Dead Air Wolfman sounds marginally "better", ie deeper tone than my MG7. I cannot emphasize the world marginal in that statement.

They’re heavy and not super quiet, but seem like pretty solid cans.

If you want light & precision, get an Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-S 6.5mm can. I love mine. It’s super quiet, extremely lightweight, and it sounds amazing on my 6.5’s, .25’s, and 6mm’s.

Bauer actually has one in stock…These cans are selling like hotcakes.

Those are nice cans. The issue being, the cost difference. You can find MG7 cans for 350 bucks. That OCL is 850. Also, I disagree. The MG7 is 11.3 ounces. That's hardly heavy for a steel rifle can that has no barrel length restrictions and is full auto rated. The Mg10 is pretty heavy but that thing is huge and actually pretty damned quiet.

Reactions: rlsmith1
Those are nice cans. The issue being, the cost difference. You can find MG7 cans for 350 bucks. That OCL is 850. Also, I disagree. The MG7 is 11.3 ounces. That's hardly heavy for a steel rifle can that has no barrel length restrictions and is full auto rated. The Mg10 is pretty heavy but that thing is huge and actually pretty damned quiet.
If you’re so broke you can’t afford a high quality suppressor, then you probably shouldn’t be buying suppressors, because you obviously have bigger fish to fry…Just saying. I’ve been there, and what did I do? I didn’t buy suppressors until I could afford to buy the ones I wanted.

Cost difference of that amount means something was definitely sacrificed…Be it quality, performance, weight, R&D, etc… That’s manufacturing 101 stuff. I’m not saying they are bad cans at all, just saying cost comparison between titanium and 17-4, and the cost difference of machining them, is huge…Which is a large portion of that price gap.

If you’re so broke you can’t afford a high quality suppressor, then you probably shouldn’t be buying suppressors, because you obviously have bigger fish to fry…Just saying. I’ve been there, and what did I do? I didn’t buy suppressors until I could afford to buy the ones I wanted.

Cost difference of that amount means something was definitely sacrificed…Be it quality, performance, weight, R&D, etc… That’s manufacturing 101 stuff. I’m not saying they are bad cans at all, just saying cost comparison between titanium and 17-4 is huge…Which is a large portion of that price gap.
Absolutely. I have no qualms with the 850 dollar price tag attached to a titanium can.

For the average gun owner, a 550 dollar can with a tax stamp is far more appealing than a 1050 dollar can with a tax stamp, regardless of metered performance. Especially if that means the average gun owner could (maybe not would) buy a case of 5.56, or ammo in general to go practice with.

Your philosophy is sound for someone that shoots as much as you do. You are not the average gun owner. I don't think cost should be a barrier for entry for anything 2a but that's just my philosophy.

Reactions: rlsmith1
Absolutely. I have no qualms with the 850 dollar price tag attached to a titanium can.

For the average gun owner, a 550 dollar can with a tax stamp is far more appealing than a 1050 dollar can with a tax stamp, regardless of metered performance. Especially if that means the average gun owner could (maybe not would) buy a case of 5.56, or ammo in general to go practice with.

Your philosophy is sound for someone that shoots as much as you do. You are not the average gun owner. I don't think cost should be a barrier for entry for anything 2a but that's just my philosophy.
I agree, I think everyone should be able to afford suppressors, Proof barrels, and Terminus actions, but at the same time, you can’t just give things away, and remain in business. Raw materials, labor, equipment, CNC operators, R&D, and overhead production costs are not cheap.

Therefore, something in the mix must be sacrificed (typically R&D…And by lack of R&D, performance, as well) to continue being a lucrative endeavor…Or you eventually become a philanthropist with a non-profit 07 SOT. And, unless you win the lottery, you’re not going to remain in business for very long. 😂

I agree, I think everyone should be able to afford suppressors, Proof barrels, and Terminus actions, but at the same time, you can’t just give things away, and remain in business. Raw materials, labor, equipment, CNC operators, R&D, and overhead production costs are not cheap.

Therefore, something in the mix must be sacrificed (typically R&D…And by lack of R&D, performance, as well) to continue being a lucrative endeavor…Or you eventually become a philanthropist with a non-profit 07 SOT. And, unless you win the lottery, you’re not going to remain in business for very long. 😂
Absolutely. I'm looking at this from the consumer side of things from both angles.

An 850 dollar suppressor based upon my above metrics will absolutely be in consideration. There are plenty of people that have the same thought process and purchasing power.

For the "average" gun owner, companies like Rex that make more affordable suppressors that may or may not perform as well certainly have a place. Rex seems to be doing well but I also have no clue what their books actually look like lol. I think there's a place for every price point in this market so long as the products aren't trash.

Ultimately, we will see. If NFA approvals continue going down in duration, we may see some manufacturers dropping out due to market dilution.

Absolutely. I'm looking at this from the consumer side of things from both angles.

An 850 dollar suppressor based upon my above metrics will absolutely be in consideration. There are plenty of people that have the same thought process and purchasing power.

For the "average" gun owner, companies like Rex that make more affordable suppressors that may or may not perform as well certainly have a place. Rex seems to be doing well but I also have no clue what their books actually look like lol. I think there's a place for every price point in this market so long as the products aren't trash.

Ultimately, we will see. If NFA approvals continue going down in duration, we may see some manufacturers dropping out due to market dilution.
I’m pretty sure Rex is part of a bigger business/corp, it’s just one arm of the octopus. I’ve talked to the owner before, and he’s a really nice guy, so I’m not throwing any shade at him or his products, but in order for a company to make things of that nature at that low of a price, they definitely have good profits rolling in from other endeavors, and the Rex suppressors are just a side-hustle/personal pet project (not fact, just my opinion)

Reactions: Magsz18