• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

RIA TM22 rimfire accuracy for us poors

TheMoondog

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2020

This may not only be the cheapest semi-auto 22LR currently available nationally, but it may be the most accurate semi-auto 22LR under $500? Rock Island Armory (RIA) is best known for producing Philippine made budget priced, reliably built, pistols and revolvers. I’ve heard they produce the most 1911 pistols in the world. Recently they’ve been expanding into shotguns and now the rifles. RIA lent me their TM22 to test out.

The TM22 is 22LR, semi-automatic, blowback rifle is a proprietary design produced by Derya of Turkey. It follows the general shape of an AR pattern rifle. It is compatible with AR-type grips and stocks. The receiver is made of 7075 aircraft grade aluminum. It has an MLok compatible AR handguard and is topped with a receiver length Picatinny rail.

At the rear of the receiver is a castle nut which accepts MilSpec AR buffer tubes. The model I was sent uses a non-standard fixed metal stock affixed to a fluted tube. The TM22’s action is direct blowback with a recoil spring entirely contained in the receiver. It comes in either a 20″ or 18″ barrel that is free floated in an M-Lok handguard which looks similar to an AR but which has a locking bolt on top, which connects it to the upper receiver. Some models are available with more M16A2 style furniture like an A2-esque carry handle, 2-piece round handguard, and A-frame front sight.

The TM22 comes with a pair of 10-round polymer magazines which look similar to CZ-455/457 magazines but are unfortunately proprietary.
The TM22 has a last round hold open which is also its functional bolt hold open. The bolt only stays open with an empty magazine inserted. The rifle has a left side charging handle but no bolt catch other than keeping an empty mag in the magwell. Once the mag is removed, the bolt slides closed. The rifle includes a uniquely designed chamber flag that allows the bolt to be dropped on it after pulling the bolt, to permit function checks and dry firing the trigger.

The trigger is flat faced with a light trigger pull of about 2.5lbs. In live fire testing, we found the rifle easy to shoot and surprisingly accurate. Our testing as conducted at 25yrds and 50yrds proved it shoots 1.5-2inch sized groups at 50yrds with inexpensive Armscor 22LR ammo. We had about a dozen stove pipes and FTF malfunctions were due to the ammo.

AFFILIATE LINKS

Sportsman's Warehouse: https://alnk.to/fSgt3YS

Palmetto State Armory: https://alnk.to/1C7EOme

Originally posted on my blog: https://moondogindustries.com/ria-tm22/

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark_Dorman
...Our testing as conducted at 25yrds and 50yrds proved it shoots 1.5-2inch sized groups at 50yrds with inexpensive Armscor 22LR ammo. We had about a dozen stove pipes and FTF malfunctions were due to the ammo.

Why didn't you test with quality ammo?
Gotta say, as a whole, seriously unimpressive.

even us poors can break out some SK or lapua centerX or something decent.

also a threaded cheap barrel? I'd bet a dollar there is notable bore expansion where it's threaded. I could be wrong but I'd bet a dollar because every cheap button barrel I've ever owned has done that. idk why factories keep threading and contouring cheap barrels.
hard no from me because I'd pull the barrel off before the first shot.
accuracy doesn't have to be expensive, they're just going about it in the wrong way.