• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

F T/R Competition Rifle Case

Re: Rifle Case

How do you want to use it? You can pick up an inexpensive case that will fit most scoped bolt guns (just get the right length), if range or short hunting trips are your intended purpose. However, if you want a rock solid case for long travel, flying, etc., I would suggest a Pelican 1750.

i use the plano game winner deluxe case holds my model 12 with 30" barrel and sightron 10-50x60 scope with high rings good tight on the side with 1/2 on each side to spare.no sofe cases for my guns.

+1 for the 1750 as well. Some people say you can get just as good for less...but i figure with the kinds of rifles most of us are running, what's a $200 case to protect it?

@Aqua, I've seen guys with no padding fore and aft of the rifle. Personally, i don't know if i'd go NO foam, but you could definitely cut the case with 1/4" left on the front and back.
I traced it on paper, transferred the paper to cardboard, then used the cardboard to trace my cutouts. Took awhile, but it came out pretty nice even though i cut it by hand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AquaMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The inside space for the Pelican 1750 is 50 1/2". The rifle is 50" long, will 1/2" be enough room, or is that cutting it to close? </div></div>

Pelican/Hardigg recommends 1" of foam between things inside the case as well as things in the case and the case itself.

If you plan to air travel with the rifle, you'll want to take the BA out of the stock anyway, so the 1750's length is not needed. Removing the BA greatly reduces the chance of breaking the stock by removing the leverage of the barrel on the stock while also shortening and stiffening the case structure.

Here are 2 30" BAs in a Hardigg iM3200. They would also fit in the Pelican 1720, but the Hardigg is a way better case than a Pelican with a tad more room in it. My extras would not have fit in the 1720 and maintained the 1" spacing requirement. I popped for the high density, non-absorbing PE foam ugrade. PM me if you want some hints on who to buy the case a and foam from.

3200rifle.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AquaMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I plan on using the case mostly for going to the range, riding on a four wheeler etc. No plans on flying anytime soon. </div></div>

For range use, I mostly use a Prone 2 Success soft case. The Shoot Long one looks similar, though it costs $100 versus $62.

I also use a couple of Plano AirGlides (order it from Amazon or locally, it is super bulky, shipping is free from Amazon and likely ruinous from anyone else). However, my new rifles with 30" barrels won't fit into an AirGlide unless I take out the buttplate, so I've only used them for my non-F-Class guns nowadays.