• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Training Courses Rifle training in or near Indiana?

2pirates

Private
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2011
Indiana
I’m relatively new to long range rifle shooting. I have been reading a lot here and was wondering if there are any classes or schools in or near Indiana for long range shooting? I’m not a complete noob. I have hunted a lot, and also have a 45-70 Sharps that I regularly shoot at 200 and 500 yards. I have an M1a that I have used at the same place, and have also shot other peoples “tactical” bolt guns out to 1200 yards. I bought a couple new bolt action rifles for myself and want to learn to use them better/see what they can do. Especially after reading a thread here about a guy spending a bunch of money and getting a pile of poo.

I’m interested in learning wind calls, different shooting positions, distances, and generally using the turrets on a scope better. Hoping to find a 2 or 3 day school here in Indiana or within 6 or so hours drive from Indianapolis. Maybe toward the end of September or in October. Anybody have experience with such a place or suggestions? I tried a search and could only come up with threads that were 2 or 3 years old.
Thanks, Dan

Re: Rifle training in or near Indiana?

I don't know what part of Indiana you call home; but, if Louisville is close, I have a course which may be useful. It's an advanced military rifle marksmanship course modeled after the 2007 SDM curriculum. This one on one course consists of about 4 hours of classroom instruction covering: principles of marksmanship, elements and factors of a steady position, ballistics, zeroing, wind and weather effects, and shooter/target analysis. The classroom work is followed with about 2 hours on the range where a 300 meter zero is established; and thereafter, shooting at 300 yard decimal target centers, concentration is placed on sight alignment and trigger control from the sling supported prone position. You can leave your scope and bipod at home as all shooting is with the M16 A2/3/4 or M4 and commercial equivalents fitted with as issued BDC iron sight set.

The course can be delivered on your home range or at the Knob Creek Range just outside of Louisville. As an LR competitor, shooting at the highest level of NRA governed competition, I find this course is ideal for any who have an interest in getting into LR. It provides the basis of understanding for what's really important to getting good hits at distance vs. what is thought by the untrained shooter to be important. In other words, although the scope and bipod are aids to good shooting, they are not substitutes for mastery over the fundamentals.

One more thing, right now what you want to know has little to do with success at LR. You don't know what you don't know. That's not a slam but it is the truth. What you want and what you really need re are entirely different.