RIMX, Vudoo, or Bergara What are the benefits?

Boombostic

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2024
US
I’m currently competing with a stock B14R. I’m looking at upgrading to a custom rifle and using my B14R as a backup. I’ve considered buying a second B14R and having a barrel spun up. Excuse my ignorance but what am Is someone gaining by getting a VUDOO or RIMX other than a smoother action?

Some thoughts, based mostly on what I've heard (I run a Gen 1.2 Vudoo, would recommend a Gen 2).

Vudoo
Pros: Smoother action, toolless bolt takedown (Gen 2 or later), can extract a short-stroked round (like B14R), avoids many of the problems in this thread
Cons: Generally same mag-feed reliability issues as the B14R, prefits generally not available, I hear they have worse QA since the buyout, metal OEM mags are unobtainium, action internals are Cerakoted (wears out, not as smooth as nitride/DLC)

RimX
Pros: Smoother action, toolless bolt takedown, prefits available, probably the best 22LR AICS-pattern mags available (and they can actually be found in stock, but only in 10-rd config without extension), nitrided action and DLC bolt head (should be quite slick), interchangeable bolt face, avoids many of the B14R problems in thread linked above
Cons: If you get a round in the chamber but not under the extractor (typically a short stroke or mag feed issue), the action goes down until you fish the round out by hand. As a PRS/NRL22 competitor, I'm not willing to accept this. Modacam will convert to a Vudoo-style breech/extractor style; for the cost of the conversion and giving up prefits, you can eliminate this issue.

At the end of the day, the big upgrades from a B14R with a custom barrel to a Vudoo/RimX should boil down to operability and reliability. For time-limited competitions, those two aspects are pretty much what you're buying when you go custom, just like in centerfire. If you have a ton of time (benchrest, for example), then it may not be as compelling.

Some thoughts, based mostly on what I've heard (I run a Gen 1.2 Vudoo, would recommend a Gen 2).

Vudoo
Pros: Smoother action, toolless bolt takedown (Gen 2 or later), can extract a short-stroked round (like B14R), avoids many of the problems in this thread
Cons: Generally same mag-feed reliability issues as the B14R, prefits generally not available, I hear they have worse QA since the buyout, metal OEM mags are unobtainium, action internals are Cerakoted (wears out, not as smooth as nitride/DLC)

RimX
Pros: Smoother action, toolless bolt takedown, prefits available, probably the best 22LR AICS-pattern mags available (and they can actually be found in stock, but only in 10-rd config without extension), nitrided action and DLC bolt head (should be quite slick), interchangeable bolt face, avoids many of the B14R problems in thread linked above
Cons: If you get a round in the chamber but not under the extractor (typically a short stroke or mag feed issue), the action goes down until you fish the round out by hand. As a PRS/NRL22 competitor, I'm not willing to accept this. Modacam will convert to a Vudoo-style breech/extractor style; for the cost of the conversion and giving up prefits, you can eliminate this issue.

At the end of the day, the big upgrades from a B14R with a custom barrel to a Vudoo/RimX should boil down to operability and reliability. For time-limited competitions, those two aspects are pretty much what you're buying when you go custom, just like in centerfire. If you have a ton of time (benchrest, for example), then it may not be as compelling.
Vudoos for that last few years have been nitride inside and out and I would be curious on the statement about QA issues?

In all honesty, Just grab one at the best deal you can find. Set it up correctly (that is key), find ammo it likes (buy a shit ton of it).. and shoot the shit out of it. You Can Not Go wrong with any of them. I have seen ALL the mentioned have troubles on the line, one for this and one for that but troubles none the less, just work trough them and move on.

Reactions: Oodie
If you're currently running a Bergara Buy a Bregara heavy Barrel and dont look back. Those BA shoot amazing well and you already have the magazines you need. Buy a Manners PRS1T if you like stocks or a Chassis of your choice if that's your flavor. You will be all set to go.

Regarding the Vudoo or RimX Question at hand.

Vudoo:
You have a GREAT Company that you can call if and when you have an issue or just a question about something your rifle is doing. You can get one built from the factory the way you want it built. Barrel, Scope Mount, Stock, Chassis, Optic, Rail & Bipod then add all the magazines you want a Vudoo will ship it to your LGS for transfer.

You can also have Vudoo send an Action to a shop like DI Precision. David and his team of gun smiths can spin up whatever barrel profile and length you want and still do all the Optics, Stocks and some ammo lot testing for you. It can be as turn key as you want it. If you're willing to write the check for it it can and will be done.

You can also buy a used BA off of the PX and sed it to a Gun Smith like Rachel Precision or Modacam ( @jelrod1 ) and have a barrel spun like above. Different Gun Smiths do different things. It's all in who you are comfortable with when you talk to them.

RimX:

You buy the action you want. The stock you want and all the parts and pieces. Then you can order a pre fit barrel ready for you to torque down and away you go shooting. Or you can call up Rachel Precision who has actions on the shelf and Randy will spin up the barrel you want to the length you want and ship it to the LGS for transfer.

Modacam will do the same thing you just ship him an action or buy a BA from Bison tactical and its ready to go. Modacam also have this thing called the ModX!!!. It is a modification to the RimX Bolt Nose for extractor cuts. It will allow you to run any rimfire mag out there in that action. Vudoo, RimX, L3I & Bergara.

Here's what I shoot.

1964 Remington 40X converted by Modacam. Rimx *ModX Conversion* spun by Modacam, Gen 1 Vudoo spun by Rachel Precision & Gen1 Vudoo spun by a Small Town Guy.

All 3 of these rifles shoot sub MOA 10 shot groups to 250y. They are all lot tested with their ammo. They are all in Razor Gen3 Glass or Bushnell Match Pro Glass. All are in Manners Stocks. My barrels are Mullerworks 16t & 13t, Brux 14t & Krieger 16t. All barrels are 1.2" or 1.25" and 23.5"-25" long.

I hope this lays out a few options for you. Anything else just message me. If you want a phone conversation message me and we can exchange numbers.

If you up-grade I say Vudoo hands down....like @Big Phish I have seen to many issues with the Rim-X and if self inflected or not I don't know I can only say what I've seen.

I have owned 3 Vudoo's(soon to be 4)and have had zero issues with any of them....UNTIL I added mag extensions then the issues start...I can tell you that the mags need to sit/fit tight to the bottom of the action...I run the XYLO chassis's with the +.030 mag latch and run flawless.

I have also used every mag extension out there as well as the L3i mags and had issues with all....until I found these... https://hozandshield.com/shop/ols/products/vudoo-plus-6-magazine-extension-kit I have the +6 on 4 mags and can get 16 rounds in easily and they all feed flawlessly.

I have ran at least 2-300 rounds or more through each of these mags with the Hoz and Shield extensions with their springs and the enhanced follower with zero issues...My suggestion if ordering the Hoz and Shield extensions is to buy the springs and enhanced followers.

Reactions: Big Phish
If you're currently running a Bergara Buy a Bregara heavy Barrel and dont look back. Those BA shoot amazing well and you already have the magazines you need. Buy a Manners PRS1T if you like stocks or a Chassis of your choice if that's your flavor. You will be all set to go.

Vudoo:
You have a GREAT Company that you can call if and when you have an issue or just a question about something your rifle is doing. You can get one built from the factory the way you want it built. Barrel, Scope Mount, Stock, Chassis, Optic, Rail & Bipod then add all the magazines you want a Vudoo will ship it to your LGS for transfer.

You can also have Vudoo send an Action to a shop like DI Precision. David and his team of gun smiths can spin up whatever barrel profile and length you want and still do all the Optics, Stocks and some ammo lot testing for you. It can be as turn key as you want it. If you're willing to write the check for it it can and will be done.

You can also buy a used BA off of the PX and sed it to a Gun Smith like Rachel Precision or Modacam ( @jelrod1 ) and have a barrel spun like above. Different Gun Smiths do different things. It's all in who you are comfortable with when you talk to them.

RimX:

You buy the action you want. The stock you want and all the parts and pieces. Then you can order a pre fit barrel ready for you to torque down and away you go shooting. Or you can call up Rachel Precision who has actions on the shelf and Randy will spin up the barrel you want to the length you want and ship it to the LGS for transfer.

Modacam will do the same thing you just ship him an action or buy a BA from Bison tactical and its ready to go. Modacam also have this thing called the ModX!!!. It is a modification to the RimX Bolt Nose for extractor cuts. It will allow you to run any rimfire mag out there in that action. Vudoo, RimX, L3I & Bergara.

Here's what I shoot.

1964 Remington 40X converted by Modacam. Rimx *ModX Conversion* spun by Modacam, Gen 1 Vudoo spun by Rachel Precision & Gen1 Vudoo spun by a Small Town Guy.

All 3 of these rifles shoot sub MOA 10 shot groups to 250y. They are all lot tested with their ammo. They are all in Razor Gen3 Glass or Bushnell Match Pro Glass. All are in Manners Stocks. My barrels are Mullerworks 16t & 13t, Brux 14t & Krieger 16t. All barrels are 1.2" or 1.25" and 23.5"-25" long.

I hope this lays out a few options for you. Anything else just message me. If you want a phone conversation message me and we can exchange numbers.
Great Info here ^^^.

Vudoo:

RimX:

Here's what I shoot.

I really appreciate the throughly detailed information. This helps a lot! Have you had any issues with your bergara set up? Mine is running flawless through 550 rounds.

Reactions: Defender32
I went with a Vudoo myself. Reason: I shoot sone benchrest matches and wanted to be able to single load, and I had read the Vudoo action allowed that, while the Rimx didn't (unless you wanted the special single load action, which I didn't, as I also wanted to be able to feed from a magazine).

I just picked up the barreled action and put it in a chassis. Haven't shot it yet.

Reactions: Big Phish
I really appreciate the throughly detailed information. This helps a lot! Have you had any issues with your bergara set up? Mine is running flawless through 550 rounds.
I do not have a Bergara any more. A fellow shooting buddy has it. It is 100% flawless on the Heavy Barrel setup. He is a design engineer and part time machinist. He has built his own 15 round metal mags (12) that are AWESOME!! I am trying to get him to sell me a couple. He is also trying to sell the design to Vudoo.

what is the current status of the 2nd gen vudoo metal mag? I saw reference earlier to them un-obtanium. In vid below, they talk here about it not yet ready for primetime at 15rnd. And also he says it works great at 12 nrd, but they don't want it to replace the 10 round polymer mags...?? I'm confused. Apologies in advance not following this subject more closely. Cheers.

I do not have a Bergara any more. A fellow shooting buddy has it. It is 100% flawless on the Heavy Barrel setup. He is a design engineer and part time machinist. He has built his own 15 round metal mags (12) that are AWESOME!! I am trying to get him to sell me a couple. He is also trying to sell the design to Vudoo.
That would be perfect!

I’m a lefty and shot my first year with a righty Bergara in an MPA chassis. Nothing wrong with it but I wanted more. Just built a lefty Rimx and I’m extremely pleased. Action is smoother and I haven’t had any feed issues( only two matches and @750 rounds). Only reason I chose Rimx over Vudoo was I could get the Rimx quicker and the ability to do prefit barrels. I like to tinker.

Excuse my ignorance but what am Is someone gaining by getting a VUDOO or RIMX other than a smoother action?
In my not-so-humble opinion, not much if anything. I've had all three, and the Bergara I had was VASTLY less smooth. It could be a really big difference to you.

Both the Bergara and Vudoo options are normally a factory-barreled action while the RimX requires you to provide a chambered barrel, so a key difference among the three is the barrel and the chamber. The Bergara chamber and barrel are very good, definitely competition-worthy. The Vudoo chamber is excellent if you run Lapua ammo. It's not fair to compare the RimX in this regard because the barrel was up to you and your gunsmith, not Zermatt. So there could be a slight advantage to the Vudoo besides the increase in action smoothness, in factory original form, but it may not be worth the higher cost by itself.

A factory Tikka won the NRL22 championship a year or two ago, so a custom action and barrel is a nice-to-have level of gear, not a requirement. But they are sweet if you have the funds.

I’ve looked at CZ but im a lefty so my chassis options were limited.
I’ve looked at CZ but im a lefty so my chassis options were limited.
I'm LH also. MPA makes one ambi cut, Grey Birch makes a dedicated LH, PDC custom will make a nice LH model. Spoke with MDT last year about ordering one, they said unfortunately not at this time but we've had a few requests...maybe in the near future. The Grey Birch is well made but light, had to add 3lbs in the forend for good balance, otherwise it has all the features needed.

Attachments

• Grey Birch1 (2).jpg
    Grey Birch1 (2).jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 28
I’m currently competing with a stock B14R. I’m looking at upgrading to a custom rifle and using my B14R as a backup. I’ve considered buying a second B14R and having a barrel spun up. Excuse my ignorance but what am Is someone gaining by getting a VUDOO or RIMX other than a smoother action?
I have 2 B14R with EC V2 tuner. IMO I don't give up anything to a Vudoo or RimX. If money is not a issue go with a DI Precition built Vudoo.

what is the current status of the 2nd gen vudoo metal mag? I saw reference earlier to them un-obtanium. In vid below, they talk here about it not yet ready for primetime at 15rnd. And also he says it works great at 12 nrd, but they don't want it to replace the 10 round polymer mags...?? I'm confused. Apologies in advance not following this subject more closely. Cheers.

I'm curious on this as well. They turned down outside help to make it run better so I'm interested to see what fix they came up with.

Reactions: ma smith
I just ordered a cz 457. having it threaded and fitted with a mullerworks barrel and saving up for a certain chassis just released that may soon be cut for cz457 also.
got an l3i 13 rounder and ndr 15 rounder, both metal to try when it gets ready.
I think the cz457 will be the R700 of precision rimfire platforms in the end. for me it's mostly about the mag.