• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Ring Height question

tox

Private
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2009
New Jersey, USA
Before anyone says anything, yes ive done lots of searching but im finding conflicting info and i want to get some clarification.

Im hoping to pickup a Falcon 5-25x50 very soon. Ive heard that an EGW base with burris XTR low rings will do the job and be pretty low down, but Id like to open my options up outside of the Burris/EGW combo.

The next option I am looking at is a set of TPS TSR "W" 30mm rings and a TPS base(20 moa or 0 moa, not sure yet). What height would be needed to clear the barrel on my Model 700 5r in .223? SWFA offers a combo of TPS base and medium height TSP rings but according to my math, they will be a bit high. Also, is a 20 moa base overkill on a .223 with the Falcon scope? would the 20 moa base cause problems with Falcon scope adjustment range if i have a 100 or 200 yard zero?

any input would be greatly appreciated since im still fairly new to long range shooting.

Re: Ring Height question

Look at the ring height info post directly above this post. It will give you the formula to figure this out on your own. Then you will not have to ask every time you consider a new model if it will fit or not.

Re: Ring Height question

As for the base. Find out how much internal elevation adjustment your scope has. Divide by 2. That is how much "up" elevation you have, aside from what you will waste zeroing. Decide how far you want to shoot. If you have enough "up" elevation to get there, you are fine and you don't "need" the base. If you want more elevation then go for it. 20MOA bases are extremely popular options. But if your base has close to the same amount of "down" adjustment you have left, you may have trouble zeroing.