Round count / # of brass

memilanuk

F'ing nuke
Minuteman
  • Mar 23, 2002
    East Wenatchee WA
    Just curious, for those of you keeping a separate boomer for 'ELR' / 'field' events - how many cases do you typically set up for a given barrel? How many rounds do these type of matches typically run?

The reason I'm asking is that I used to have about 100 (99, to be exact) pieces for a long-throated .300WM... then there was an PRS/ELR event coming up, with a proposed round count of ~130... so I had to scramble to find more brass, keep the different lot #s separated, etc. I'd kind of like to avoid doing that again if possible, but I figure I probably don't need to go buy 1-2k at a time like I do for my F/TR rifles, keeping 300-350 minimum lots per barrel.

Looking forward to hearing your approach (y)

Reactions: DIBBS
    Our matches usually take about 30 rounds and we hold two per day back to back if we can so 100 rounds is plenty.
    I lost a match in SoCal when I ran out of ammunition so no more just squeaking by.

Last edited:
    Reactions: camotoe
    400 to 600 for me. If it's a round I plan on having awhile I do 1k brass.

Getting more than you need allows you to....

Get all from one lot
    Less culling less bs
    Discount on price
    Never scramble for brass thats different lot.
    Knowing you have enough to burn barrels

I have about 200 cases at the time for my Win mag. And I used to have 300 cases of 6.5x47 Lapua but I have lost some at one competition or another so its probably around 275 right now.