• Today we celebrate America. Happy 4th!

Thank you to all the vets and Americans out there and if you were a vet, share your stories below! We're also offering a 15% discount on all subscriptions with code AMERICA24

Share your story Subscribe

Ruger American Rimfire Review Under Construction / accessories links

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
OK guys I finally decided to order a Ruger American Rimfire, Compact, 18" barrel.

The plan last year was to get a CZ 455 American for a dedicate silhouette Hunting Div. rifle, and though my experience with CZ has let me know they are a very solid platform, there's something about the RAR that has my attention. After handling one or two over the last month or so and doing "net" research, I've taken a real shine to it, even more so over Savage & Marlin, even rivaling the cherished CZ. Plus Ruger offers quite a discount to HTE instructors, being one has allowed the price to be low enough from them to be a "no brainer" for me to try the Ruger.

So the other day visiting my FFL, he said he had something for me....

From just fondling it for a little while my impressions are:

The feel and the build is much better than the average tupperware stocked stuff - being a lefty I really like they put the safety where it belongs, on the tang. Putting it on safety and back to fire was very fluid. Grip angle felt a heck of a lot better than a savage tupperware stock, it felt really nice coming up to the shoulder, though a little front heavy. The finish of the blueing also appears to be superior to a MKII, I think the RAR is crying for a a nicely finished wood stock - that's how nice the finish looked in person. I really appreciated the recessed crown, it seemed the sporter barrel was thicker than a MKII sporter barrel. I mic’d the RAR barrel at .639”, the MKII at that length is .576. Marlin @ 18.5” is .685.
I also really liked the open sights, the carryover from the 10/22 rear sight was beautiful (though I will be scoping it, almost a shame). There is the potential to have three graduations to it depending on your zero, essentially giving you a pretty good idea of where you need to hold for further out. It appears the rear sights can be drifted out if it interferes with the optic, and the front sight is removable with a single torx screw.

The angle of the bolt handle / knob was surprising, it stood out away from the stock enough to find easily (both left and right handed operation), without being squished up against the stock. It seemed a bit stiff upon closing the bolt, but it was a new rifle, the word on the net is that it gets smoother. Otherwise it was somewhat smooth for a new rifle everywhere in between.
Trigger pull from the factory was 2.75Lbs, with the adjustment screw completely out, the trigger went to 2.5Lbs. It seems the face of the trigger is wider than the usual "trigger in trigger" setups - Working the mag seemed natural with the extended release.

It doesn’t seem cheaply made at all, I liked the look and feel of it more than other rifles in the "lower end" class. From the ruger site: A 3/8" rimfire scope base is machined into the receiver, which is also drilled and tapped for Weaver® #12 bases (not included). I noticed that some of the receiver’s base hole "plugs" have torx like screws, which I thought was some good attention to detail rather than a plain ol slotted screw or Allen heads. The one I got had slotted screw heads.

Why the compact? Since I've cut back my Savage MKII (and like the handling of it), using SV ammo, and scoping the rifle, I feel there is no reason for me to go with the "standard" size. I've found the shorter barrel is seemingly a little more rigid with the MKII, so I'm assuming the same with the RAR. Plus if it turns out to be not so hot in the accuracy dept, It can be handled easily by youths and can utilize it for youth training. The stock is pretty innovative and seemingly more rigid than the other synthetic ones in this price range (even higher), the ability to change out a module for an adult or youth length of pull is pretty neat, and a high or low comb has just about all the sighting choices things covered. I'm also going with the compact as for me it seems a bit more balanced for the type of offhand shooting I'll be doing with it.

On the subject of the stock, there are ambi palm swells and a user friendly grip angle that actually feels quite comfy. There is a little flex in the fore end, but not as bad as others, and it is cut away enough to allow the barrel to be free floating.
The bedding blocks within the stock are substantial, and they rest on brass “mini”pillars.

Nothing about this rifle appears that it was meant to be cheap. In fact in many ways, dollar for dollar, it offers more than rifle twice the price. If you are into rimfires, this is one that belongs in your safe, and at a price that will not drain your savings.

Whenever the wind decides to calm down and could have a solid range day or two, I can start posting some numbers on groups. The .22 ammo variety on hand is a bit limited, mostly will be shooting CCI SV.

As stated before, I really like the look / finish of the metal, deserving of a wood stock. Since all my stuff is Kryloned and synthetic, I yearn for the romance and elegance of blue and wood, so when I know this thing can shoot, a Boyd's Rimfire Hunter walnut stock is in order shortly thereafter.

These links have better pictures than I can ever hope to produce:

Ruger American Rimfire Review <plenty of good information here.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-rimfire-section/209131-ruger-american-rimfire.html

Real Guns - Ruger's New American Rimfire Rifles

For the game I want a dedicated platform for, this AAA shooter (and also a contributor here) speaks highly of it: steelchickens.com ? View topic - My first match with the Ruger American Rimfire

An exploded view of the bolt Ruger American Rimfire/ Bolt Strip - Ruger Forum

The plan from the start is a RAR 18" compact, Nikon Buckmaster 6-18 target dot, Millet engraved high angle loc 3/8 dovetail rings - though I prefer Weaver rings / Bases, the Millet Angle Loc will give me a little more room for mounting the scope forward and backward and I've never had a problem with the Angle Locs slipping on my .22 mag, where others do. Plus the engraved rings will add a little more "snazzie", and I know from using them before with a 40MM objective optic they are just the right height for me. 2 extra BX-1 mags (black, I've seen where the clear ones don't work as well). Fiddle with trigger for a 2lb pull, I've found a way posted elsewhere that 1.5# is achievable by removing a certain spring or trimming another, however no comment until I give it a whirl - but will have to return it to 2# for silhouette http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=850934 . Boyd's Rimfire Hunter walnut stock (some target stock like features, yet fits silhouette Hunting Div. rules). Some pictures of the laminated and walnut here, along with a confirmation that it comes with a trigger guard (though plastic): Where Can I Get A Wood Stock For RAR? - RimfireCentral.com Forums With using the embedded bedding blocks that come with the RAR that transfer over to the Boyd’s, I think the need for conventional bedding will not be needed even with the natural wood.

Since I've mounted the Millet rings and Nikon Buckmaster 6-18 target dot scope, no pictures as of right now as me being me, I tried something I've had in the back of my for a while, and sort of want to hold off until I know it's GTG. A purely cosmetic thing, so the "mechanical" aspects will remain intact.

Range report coming as soon as I get a day that's calm for confident range trials at 50, 100, 200 Yards.

I know, a half azzed kind of a review without range reports, but excited about the new addition.

Last edited:
While searching around for "needfull" things concerning the RAR, I came across these links for accessories and RAR related stuff as of May 2014, it may help out some folks in the meantime:

Bases:

Diversified Innovative Products - Product Detail - Ruger American Rimfire Extended Scope Rail - $29.97

Ruger American Rimfire 1 Piece Scope Base | eBay

http://www.dnzproducts.com/game-reaper-mounts/ruger-american-rimfire 6-48 sized receiver screws according to DNZ

Regular Weaver #12’s, you can cross reference the listed firearms here:
Weaver Top-Mount Scope Base #12 Gloss

and here:
Weaver #12 Top Mount Base

to see if there is anything else available as far as bases go. Blank pic rails are available and can be drilled to the RAR’s spacing.
Also I’d have to believe the dovetail to weaver / pic rail adaptors will work.

Many located here dovetail to weaver adapter | eBay

Stocks:

Rimfire hunter
Boyds: RIMFIRE HUNTER RUGER AMERICAN RIMFIRE .22LR FACTORY BARREL CHANNEL FOREST CAMO FINISHED Rimfire Hunter

Tacticool
Boyds: TACTICOOL RUGER AMERICAN RIMFIRE .22LR FACTORY BARREL CHANNEL BLACK TEXTURED FINISH TactiCool

Installation video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s9WQIekU78

Magazines:

Of course any 10/22 should work, from the single shot mags to the drums. Appears the clear ones don’t work as well though.

Some other magazine trinkets: Ruger 10/22 Magazines and Clips

Dummy M1 Carbine Magazine Extension Conversion for Ruger 10/22

and then there are the couplers, the 25rounders, the single shot mags, the drums. Also foundmagazine holders (holsters) and rubbery dust covers to go over them.

Amazon.com: Ruger 10/22 Sr/22 Magazine Caps Dust Covers 4 Pack: Sports & Outdoors

Ruger 10/22 Magazine Dust Cover 3 Pack Black 90403

also found out that the 5 round magazines can be converter to 10 round rather easily
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKAurSvVYkw.

Review section on how to convert a 5 rounder Ruger Mag Ruger 10/22 22 Long Rifle 5-Round Polymer Black

Magbumpers http://www.tandemkross.com/Ruger-American-Rimfire_c_26.html

10/22 Mag Bumper

there’s so much magazine stuff, can’t list it all.

Magazine releases:

plenty of specialty magazine releases out there for the 10/22, which should be able to be used on the RAR, possibly the exception would be the ones that follow the contour of the 10/22 trigger guard / safety.

Just to name a few:

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=10%2F22+magazine+release

10 22 mag release | eBay

PADDLE MAG RELEASE - BILLET MACHINED ALUMINUM FOR 10/22® & CHARGER™

KIDD 10-22 Trigger Magazine release levers

Trigger adjustments / DIY jobs:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=850934

Ruger American trigger modification write up. - The Firing Line Forums

Anything referring to the Ruger American centerfire triggers will cross over to the RAR – same Ruger Marksman trigger used.
Replacement open Sights: just about any that will fit 10/22 barrel dovetail or 3/8 dovetail receivers

Looking forward to this, sounds like a nice project. I do plan to get one as it would make a nice field gun. Although I have(kids actually) 10-22's I like the bolt guns. Plus I have plenty of mags already.

Heck-shoot some of the matches!

Mark

just a little update:

Unfortunately, I ran out of light when trying to zero for Silhouette distances, barely got 50 rounds through it. Shot my first silhouette match with it today, without the settings being 100%, shot 16 of 40 which isn't too bad for a rifle i only had put together 4 days previously. It definately has potential as a low dollar silhouette rifle, and as a squirrel getter.

Initial paper shooting to get those general settings was less than stellar, however with less than 50 rounds through it at the time and only 1 brand used, it is hard to make a determination. Another "seasoning" trip or two to the range should show a better basis for a better range report on paper for more precise shooting.

More to come....

I wanted to add a peep sight, and was having trouble with the stock 10/22 rear sight and CCI SV. Williams (already makes the front fiber optic sight that came on the rifle) has just released a Fire Peep Set for the Ruger American Rimfire. Here is a link: Williams Fire Sight Peep Set Ruger American 22 Long Rifle Steel Blue That one came with a green light pipe in the front sight, and I believe it is a little higher than the original factory front post.

Will post a range report after getting it up and running.

UPDATE: 07/06/2014 50 YARDS

The weather conditions was satisfactory and had a few hours to dedicate to shooting some paper with the RAR. I had several partial boxes of different types of ammo. Unfortunately, I may not have enough of each ammo used at 50Y to use at 100Y. As the wind had kicked up to around 8-12 MPH while setting up at 100 yards, that distance will have to wait for another day.

Below are 10 round groups @ 50 yards. This was just testing groups at 50Y, not the point of impact differences between the ammos. before a new ammo was used, the barrel was dry swabbed and 5 rounds were shot off target. 30 seconds between shots. Shot bipod with rear bag, prone position. Optic was a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18 target dot, magnification at 6X. 70 Deg F, 81% humidity, cloudy. Wind 3-7 mph 4:00. Broke the ammos on hand into 2 types: Standard Velocity / Subsonic and High Velocity.

STANDARD VELOCITY / SUBSONIC AMMO

1. Eley Target (yellow sticker) - all 10 rounds .50" X .60" CTC
2. CCI Std Vel - 8 rounds .30" X .65" CTC, 2 rounds opened it to .65 x 1"
3. Federal G. Medal Match 922A - 7 rounds .36" X .29" CTC, 3 rounds opened it to 1.27" X 1"
4. Wolf MT - 7 rounds .85" x 1" 3 rounds opened it to 1.75" x 1.30"

HIGH VELOCITY

1. CCI blazer - 9 rounds .55" X .65" CTC, 1 round opened it to 1" X .65"
2. REM. Golden Bullet 36 gr HP - 8 rounds .85" x .95" CTC, 2 rounds opened it up to .85" X 1.9" CTC
3. FED. Bulk pack 36 gr HP - 8 rounds 1.25" X 1.10" CTC, 2 rounds 1.25" X 2.10" CTC

Fed. Prem G. Medal 711B & Winc. Wildcat about the same - 1.6" X 2.10" CTC

There were no FTFs or FTEs through the 135 rounds fired during this session. The action is feeling a bit more smooth through use, though over 500 rounds fired so far between this and other sessions, not quite as smooth as a Savage MKII, Marlin XT type action, or CZ 452 / 3 / 5. The "locking" of the bolt feels and sounds more "positive" than the Savage or CZ, and appears to have some added resistance when chambering a round.

The only thing I can contribute that rougher feeling when chambering is that there is a little more gap between the lips of the magazine and chamber. The round seemingly has to be stripped from the mag by the bolt then is directed in a upward diagonal direction into the chamber coupled by the pressure from the rotating mag on the round as it's leaving the mag. Whereas the Savage / Marlin / CZ rounds are more inline with the chamber opening, and a little easier to strip off the mag. I don't see this as a problem as after chambering and ejecting live rounds, there were no noticable deformation of them.

The Ruger magazine does have the advantage of not being as easily bent or "loosened up" through use. Anyone that has had most of a magazine release it's contents when reloading then having to do some surgery with pliers to have them work again could appreciate the Ruger system, though again, feels rough when chambering.

The higher comb height module with optic, grip size & angle seemed comfortable and friendlier - at least for me - than the Savage or Marlin "tupperware" stocks.

My biggest surprise was the Wolf MT, I expected a whole lot better results out of this rifle / ammo combination. However like with most rifles, one has to find an ammo it likes. Out of the ammos on hand, the RAR seemed to prefer at 50 Y (in the standard / subsonic velocities) Eley Target and CCI Std Vel, and (in high velocity) CCI Blazer & Rem. Golden Bullet. Many of the groups shot were obviously less than what may be considered "good" at 50 yards, but not much worse (with the exception of using Wolf MT) that I've experienced with ammo finickyness as the Savage MKII F or a Marlin, though short of the "shoots just about everything well" CZ.

Last edited:
dont sound half assed to me TOP
alot of info you have dug up on a rifle, that has not been hi lited yet here on the hide.
i know you are like me,an have a soft spot for the 77/22
how close would you say the old an the new were.

maybe just maybe 22match ammo will start showing up soon,
i dont want to buy a brick of brand XYZ just to try out

if i can help, will be willing to send some different brands for you to try
just let me know
YO

Last edited:
thanks for the offer, that's VERY big of you!

i wish i could buy a brand of XYZ, but even that isn't available locally. just using up some of the stuff i had laying around in the ammo can.

i know i'll have enough of wolf, CCI std vel, CCI blazer, and the bulk ammos for 100 and 200 yards. i will probably be short on the eley target, which sucks as it seems it really like that stuff. i have a silhouette shoot this weekend, there's a guy there that may be able to part with another box. i'll be short on the 922A also. hopefully i have enough time, energy, and the wind cooperates on sunday to take it to 100 and 200.

compared to a 77/22, i really think there is no comparison as far as the build quality, the 77 has it in that department. but versus a marlin or savage, if it's worth anything, i'd have to give the nod to the RAR, hands down. the form and fit is excellent, coupled with the other thoughtful options / features incorporated into IMO take it a step above them, and a sweet little rifle for either a youngster or adult.

but looks aren't everything, so until i can get a feel for it out further, i'm going to hold off putting my savage and marlin deeper in the safe - though i have cleared a spot....

PS - the boyd's rimfire hunter stock in walnut arrived. it is absolutely gorgeous, but i want to shake down the RAR in it's factory configuration before swapping stuff out.

Ruger American Rimfire Review Under Construction / accessories links

If you are looking for Eley or Sk match ammo check out goodshootinginc.com. They have might be able to hook you up with boxes vs buying bricks if you talk to them. This has been an interesting post, very cool!

Thanks TP!!

Last edited:
thanks for the offer, that's VERY big of you!

i wish i could buy a brand of XYZ, but even that isn't available locally. just using up some of the stuff i had laying around in the ammo can.

i know i'll have enough of wolf, CCI std vel, CCI blazer, and the bulk ammos for 100 and 200 yards. i will probably be short on the eley target, which sucks as it seems it really like that stuff. i have a silhouette shoot this weekend, there's a guy there that may be able to part with another box. i'll be short on the 922A also. hopefully i have enough time, energy, and the wind cooperates on sunday to take it to 100 and 200.

compared to a 77/22, i really think there is no comparison as far as the build quality, the 77 has it in that department. but versus a marlin or savage, if it's worth anything, i'd have to give the nod to the RAR, hands down. the form and fit is excellent, coupled with the other thoughtful options / features incorporated into IMO take it a step above them, and a sweet little rifle for either a youngster or adult.

but looks aren't everything, so until i can get a feel for it out further, i'm going to hold off putting my savage and marlin deeper in the safe - though i have cleared a spot....

PS - the boyd's rimfire hunter stock in walnut arrived. it is absolutely gorgeous, but i want to shake down the RAR in it's factory configuration before swapping stuff out.

Yea I am a bit over weight,LOL
ol Armorpl8chikn took me under his wing, so to speak,
an he is always ready to help a brother out, just doing as I was taught by my good friend.

I will be checking in on your range report,
an will wait on the picture, of the Boyds stock when you post it

got some 100 and 200 yard results, got to piece them together so they are presentable. shot another round of silhouette, AFTER putting on the boyd rimfire hunter and resetting my scope settings the same morning within 20min to do it in during practice - and scored a 19.

but to answer a few of the above in the mean time,

it does have an adjustable trigger for poundage, and doubles as the sear block just like the savage. most of today's bladed triggers can trace their lineage to the accutrigger anyway, so they all are basically copies - though the RAR's seems built more solidly. the RAR's for the most part is enclosed more than the accutrigger, with no exposed arms / springs / etc. except for where the tang safety mechanism comes into play. IMO, the curvature / feel of the RAR's is a little bit better and has less of a gimicky effect to to it, with less of a gritty feel when engaging the blade.

just like the accutrigger and other cousins, there is no designated way to adjust for creep or over travel, and the stock must be removed to adjust it.

mine was 2.75lbs from the factory, with the adjustment screw all the way out, it took it 2.5lbs. there's a few links up top that have DIY ways of getting it lower, though i have not tried any of them yet as it's set comfortably enough and breaks cleanly that i see no need want to fool with it anymore than just the regular adjustment.

i now see the threaded model, from the ruger site: "Threaded barrel models feature a 1/2"-28 thread pattern and a factory installed thread protector". wish they had that when i ordered mine, that would definately be worth the extra 20 to 40 bucks.

the barrel of the unthreaded is 17" from muzzle to receiver, 18" from muzzle to bolt face.

after a little more shooting, the rough feel of chambering a round appears to be the bullet rubbing on the non ejection side of the chamber opening. after closer inspection, there is a mark left on the 40gr round nosed bullets, but no major deformations of the head. the sleeker hollow point 36 grainers seem to chamber smoother. i don't know if, nor am going to try, if chamfering one side of the chamber opening to have a make shift feed ramp would help, or if a similar modification to the magazine would help.

it's raining outside now, so perhaps i can get the 100 / 200 yard stuff up tonight.

UPDATE 07/15/2014 100 & 200 YARDS

The weather conditions was satisfactory again. Unfortunately, I had run out of some of the ammos used at 50Y, most regrettably the Eley Target (yellow box) which seemed to stay the most consistent through the RAR. I was able to get off 5 rounds of the Eley Target.

Below are 10 round groups @ 100 yards. Again, not worried about POI differences between the ammos. Before a new ammo was used, the barrel was dry swabbed and 5 rounds were shot off target (Except for the Eley Target as only 5 rounds were available). 30 seconds between shots. Shot bipod with rear bag, prone position. Optic was a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18 target dot, magnification at 12X, target was a 1.5" circle. 73 Deg F, 54% humidity, sunny. Wind conditions were calm 0-3. Group size measured H X W.

100 YARDS

STANDARD VELOCITY / SUBSONIC AMMO

1. Eley Target (yellow sticker) - all 5 rounds 6/8" x .50"
2. CCI Std Vel - 7 rounds 5/8" X 1 1/8", 2 rounds opened it to 7/8" X 1.75" (last round was pulled wasn't used in the measurement)
3. Wolf MT - 8 rounds just under 1" X .5", 2 rounds opened it to 2 3/8" X 1.25"

HIGH VELOCITY

1. CCI blazer - 8 rounds 1 3/8" X 1", 2 rounds opened it to 1 7/8" X 2"
2. REM. Golden Bullet 36 gr HP - 10 rounds 2 3/8" X 2 2/8"
3. FED. Bulk pack 36 gr HP - 8 rounds 2.5" X 1 7/8", 2 rounds opened it to 2" X 2.5"
4. FED. G. Medal 711B - 7 rounds 1.75" X 1 3/8", 3 rounds opened it to 4.5"
5. Winc. Wildcat - 8 rounds 1.75" X 1.5", 2 rounds opened it to 5.5"

200 YARDS

1. CCI Std Vel - 10 rounds 6.25" X 5.75"
2. Wolf MT - 10 rounds 6.25" X 6.75"

HIGH VELOCITY

1. CCI blazer - 10 rounds 5" X 6 3/8"
2. REM. Golden Bullet 36 gr HP - 10 rounds 9.25" X 5.5"
3. FED. Bulk pack 36 gr HP - 10 rounds 10.25" X 7.25"
4. FED. G. Medal 711B - 10 rounds 9.25" X 5.5"
5. Winc. Wildcat - 10 rounds way too big of a group

All in all not too bad at 100 yards using an ammo it likes. Much like at 50 yards, not more finicky with different ammos than a Savage or Marlin, though not as well performing as a CZ. At 200 yards, it performed better than I expected, again with ammo it likes.

Out of what ammo I had on hand, it seems to be Eley Target (yellow box), CCI Std Vel, Wolf MT, and CCI Blazer. Was also surprised on how the Remington Golden Bullet printed at the 3 distances. Again no jams, FTEs or FTFs.

Again, it's not a Sako, Kimber, Copper, Anschutz, but is a pretty nice rifle that offers alot for the price point and appears that Ruger didn't skimp on build quality - especially at the price points the RAR are presently at. With the features, price, and fairly decent accuracy, in my opinion it's a fine rifle for the market it was designed for and at home at the range or in the woods; whether in the hands of a youngster or adult.

Very nice, I like that the threaded version is now out there. I don't know if it me or as you've experienced, the Wolf seems to have a flier or two with me as well. I've only shot to 100 with the 64 and I'll get a couple low ones. Not called shots.

Hey just as a heads up for others out there... the recommended Tech Sights for the RAR (MXT200) do NOT fit the RAR compact threaded (Model 8306). I ordered them last week to replace the factory sights and was SOL. The front sight base is too long and interferes with the threads.

Hopefully, Tech Sights will come out with a new model...

Hey just as a heads up for others out there... the recommended Tech Sights for the RAR (MXT200) do NOT fit the RAR compact threaded (Model 8306). I ordered them last week to replace the factory sights and was SOL. The front sight base is too long and interferes with the threads.

Hopefully, Tech Sights will come out with a new model...

Call Tech Sights up- they DO have sights that work, they may have sent you the wrong one or something.

Several months back I wanted to buy my son his first rifle. Eric at Tech Sights is a good friend, so I called him up and told him I was looking at a CZ 455. Long story short, after a visit with him I bought a RAR even though the CZ is his favorite. Just fit my needs best. I got a set of Tech Sights and mounted them with no problem. If I remember correctly, the only catch is you have to use the factory front sight screw, as it has a different thread pitch than the one included with the sights. Great sights!

Edit: I just saw the part about the RAR compact, I completely missed that the first time. Still call Tech Sights and make sure they are aware, they may not realize it needs a change.

Last edited:
Call Tech Sights up- they DO have sights that work, they may have sent you the wrong one or something.

Several months back I wanted to buy my son his first rifle. Eric at Tech Sights is a good friend, so I called him up and told him I was looking at a CZ 455. Long story short, after a visit with him I bought a RAR even though the CZ is his favorite. Just fit my needs best. I got a set of Tech Sights and mounted them with no problem. If I remember correctly, the only catch is you have to use the factory front sight screw, as it has a different thread pitch than the one included with the sights. Great sights!

Edit: I just saw the part about the RAR compact, I completely missed that the first time. Still call Tech Sights and make sure they are aware, they may not realize it needs a change.

I spoke with Eric at Tech Sights today and he was not aware of the change made by Ruger. He anticipates making a tech-sight model for the threaded barrels in the future. I am going to return the MXT-200 and wait for the new product. The tech-sights were really a nice product, I am bummed they don't fit.