• Site Updates Coming Monday

We’re planning to start making changes bright and early on Monday so you might see the site down fir a bit, but no worries, we’ll make our changes and be back as soon as we can!

VIEW THREAD
  • Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Ruger Bisley conversions?

HSNARC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2010
Central Illinois
Thinking about buying a new Ruger Super bh in 44. I want the Bisley grip to help with full power loads but mostly it looks cool. I can’t seem to find the barrel length/finish I want with a factory Bisley grip.

Those that have done the conversion, where did you get the grip frame? How difficult was the fitting? I know things I read say you have to file the grip frame to match the receiver under the cylinder and the rear lugs. I’m confident enough to try, but the only frames I can find are $350 and brass. I want steel I can blue/something I can patch back up with Tig if need be. Something enough for an amateur to learn on.

Midway/brownells sell a steel frame “in the white” for about $130. Is that a factory ruger part? Maybe less major profiling and just fit/polish/finish?

The fitting isn't hard per se, but if you mess it up it's messed up for life, minus having some one weld it up and refit it.

The Brownells/Midway parts are Ruger factory parts. They all require pretty significant fitting also as their final fit is part of the finishing process at Ruger. If you want steel that's really your only decent option. One thing you can do is get a plowhandle from a different gun for almost nothing and use it as a practice piece.

I know you aren't interested in the brass/aluminum models but the RW Grip Frames are absolutely excellent if you change your mind.

What barrel length are you trying to get?
Have you considered buying a takeoff barrel of the correct length and having it fit to a regular Bisley?
Most Bisleys come in 7.5".
Twenty years ago, they sold a stainless 5.5" 45 LC Bisley. I have one.

I also took a 4-5/8 41 mag Blackhawk and had Gary Reeder fit a Bisley Grip frame, add new grips, action job and refinish.

It's my favorite Ruger.

20180308_153239.jpg

20211104_105845.jpg

Reactions: lash and HSNARC
What barrel length are you trying to get?
Have you considered buying a takeoff barrel of the correct length and having it fit to a regular Bisley?
Most Bisleys come in 7.5".
Twenty years ago, they sold a stainless 5.5" 45 LC Bisley. I have one.

I also took a 4-5/8 41 mag Blackhawk and had Gary Reeder fit a Bisley Grip frame, add new grips, action job and refinish.

It's my favorite Ruger.

View attachment 8447865

View attachment 8447864
5.5” in blue. How “interchangeable” are the barrels?

All of the Blackhawk use the same barrel tenon.

If you want a blue 5.5, I'd recommend buying a 7.5 and having the sight removed, barrel cut, warning removal and reinstall the sight.
That wild be the least expensive route.

You could also buy a blued one and just have a completely new barrel installed.
It would probably be a lot more accurate going that route.

If you want a blue 5.5, I'd recommend buying a 7.5 and having the sight removed, barrel cut, warning removal and reinstall the sight.

They make a 5.5 blue in 44mag and a sort of special edition/distributor exclusive convertible 357/9mm but neither in the Bisley config.

This is good advice for the config you want.

I would call Bobby Tyler at TGW and tell him what you want, and wait for it to show up.

Reactions: lash