Ruger LC 45 - my review

eastexsteve

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2018
NE Texas
Picked up one last week for about $650 new. I've been on the lookout for a PCC that my wife would like, and could easily be carried in a vehicle. This thing is a hoot. It's a 16.25" barrel folding stock carbine in 45ACP that looks to be at least 4" shorter than my 16" AR-9, with the stock extended. The way it accomplishes this is with a two piece bolt that shrouds the barrel. Not a lot of plastic, but still comes in under 7 lbs. A lot of ambidextrous support. Full length picatinny rail. Threaded barrel end. It uses Glock 21 mags and comes with one 13 rounder. Gun has great balance. Trigger is smooth, but has some creep. Breaks down easy for cleaning.

It's a shooter. We've run about 500 rounds through it so far. No failures. I don't know what the muzzle velocity is coming out of that 16.25" barrel, but it hits those steel plates noticeably harder than my 5" barrel 1911. Though it comes with MBUS sights on it, they seem to be better quality than the ones you usually see. I took those off and put on a Burris red dot. I've only used standard velocity 230 grain FMJ ammo so far, but it seems to hurl them pretty good. Sighted in at 25 yds, it still hits point of aim at 50, and about 6 to 8 inches low at 100. Where this gun has real potential, is that it's +P rated. What would be normally a 950fps +P round out of a pistol starts to get really serious moving at 1150fps to 1200fps out of a 16.25" barrel rifle. Fold the stock, and it fits in my backpack. Potential as a bear country gun maybe?

My wife gave her stamp of approval on it, so it's currently sitting by her bedside next to her 9mm handgun. I've got some 26 round mags coming for it. I guess I'll be putting the 9mm AR back in the safe.

Ruger LC 45 Carbine

Last edited:
With something in the 165/185 grain +p range, it should still shoot fairly flat out to 100. My 16" Kriss is within 2" from 25 to 105 yards, then drops rapidly. I typically use the 200 grain Speer Lawman +p TMJ.